AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been in active forum member for years but have stayed mostly in the speakers and subwoofers section. I have helped and been helped hundreds of times on this forum. I am looking to lean on the dedicated theater folks this time as I have no experience in this field. I have built many speakers and gone through many different speaker and subwoofer designs. Problem is my living room is no longer suitable as the media room the level of the sound system. I am now looking at using half of my basement to create a small theater room. I have been reading kind of posts on this portion of the forum to get ideas for a few books to start reading. I have some ideas on how to build my walls and ceiling for maximum soundproofing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Room is roughly 14 x 12.5 x 8' tall. I do have a window on one of the exterior walls that measures roughly 70" x 40". My two exterior walls are concrete for about 4 feet and then drywall with a 8" or 4" shelf on top of the foundation corcrete. The other wall on the stairwell is stud and gyp they've just on both sides.

My new wall I planned on doing with methods I've read in some of the books. Probably staggered 2 x 4 stud with resilient clips, mass loaded vinyl and dual 5/8 Gyp with gg between. Also looking at plug to temporarily block the window from transmitting sound.

I am on a pretty tight budget. So anywhere I can save money would be appreciated. I can also attach pictures if needed.

Also looking to add a 100 a sub panel for power and basic lighting with dimmers.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Here is a rough sketch of the room. Still haven't picked orientation.

I will post pics too. It's a tough room to capture with photos because of all the kids toys.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

This will be the entrance

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Home recording studio build it like the pros by Rod gervais is an unbelievable book. Thanks to those who recommended it on the form. Wow.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
window plug is an option. I do think once I build the walls so that there is no shelf at four feet we can put in a window plug. Room will be fully enclosed when done. I will have only one wall that I can build from scratch.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

This is a sketch i put together to help show the room dimensions better. Do I have enough space to do a two row seating arrangement with a riser for the rear seats?

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
 http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/home-theater-blog/2013/10/8/home-theater-seat-layout

I would resist the urge to cram in seating and stick with one row in that space. The problem becomes the short throw distance

for the front row places limits with screen size, and the second row tends to end up on the back wall and up against surround sound

speakers. Being so close to a speaker tends to pull it out of the sound mix and become prominent to the nearest seats to it.

Is there an option to go a little wider width-wise? If that beam is treated as a soffit in the room, then perhaps an extra seat with a single row

layout becomes a possibility.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Check out my 1st small HT (link at sig.), which is 12'x15'. You could "squeeze" a 2nd row at the back against the wall by using theater style seats, e.g. 1st row about 9-9.5' from the screen, you'll have a 5' riser platform for the 2nd row. IMO, how it sounds at the 2nd row isn't that important as those are mainly for suckers.... cough cough.... guests only. Your main listening position will still be optimized. The only drawback is the viewing distance from the 1st row to the screen (9.5' or less) will limited your screen size. However, screen size is mainly just a relative term versus how far you are viewing.

Good luck on the build.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Just a thought... You could skip the riser and do a narrow bar to compact the seating.

Work in some soffits and you could do two zones of lighting. Or maybe three, with another soffit over the bar.

If you widened the room the width of the existing beam, you could bring the soffit wiring over the top of the beam

and into the new wall.

thebuckaman1.jpg 74k .jpg file

Attachments

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I really appreciate it. You all bring up some good points. The beam is currently a soffit with drywall around it. I am worried about viewing distance in the front row if I do two rows of seating as well

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
A second row of seating is gonna be awfully tough with only 14.5' total room length to work whether you get authentic theater seats or not. Also, if you're on a tight budget, theater seats can be pricey. I didn't notice if you put this in your thread earlier, but are you going for an acoustically transparent screen or not? WIth one row of seating, it would be possible.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had planned on non at screen initially

1 - 14 of 14 Posts