AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only 10 days until my Patriots win their next Super Bowl and last night my November build 60 inch GW111 exhibited a problem I haven't read about on this board. Up until now I assumed I was one of the luckiest ones, my set didn't buzz (still doesn't), turned on religiously after three blinks of the green light (still does) and had a beautiful picture with minor OOB tweaking (TY DLiquid and and others).

Well, last night after a few hours of operation the screen went almost totally white. It was like all contrast was gone with skin tones as bright white, greens as bright yellow, reds as light purple, and blacks almost nonexistant. The picture also lacked sharpness and was extremely grainy even on HD. At first, turning the set on and restarting a few minutes later made the picture go back to normal. Eventually the problem would come back. On two occassions the picture did come back to normal without cycling the set on and off.

This morning, of course, the picture came on fine and has yet to exhibit the same problem. I can hear the tech now, "can't fix what I can't see...blah, blah, blah."

Two questions: Has anyone else had this problem and have it repaired to your satisfaction? Also, has anyone who purchased at Best Buy been able to return after 60 days or so without repairing the set?

Any help is truley appreciated!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally posted by scmguru
Do a search under white crush.. I've read about htis happening before on this board.
I tried the search you suggested but don't see any posts that relate to the problem I'm having. The picture get so bright and washed out (and distorted) as to be unwatchable. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
210 Posts
capecodguy

I've had my 60" GWIII since early December. October build date. Has worked beautifully. I had my first buzz the other night, but have never had the issue you're describing. Good luck and I hope it's not a set killer.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally posted by bw03
call an exorcist :eek: ;) :p

Sorry, can't help you but have you tried called a technician?
Is this post really meant to be helpful?

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by capecodguy
Is this post really meant to be helpful?
This was probably meant as a combination of humor and help.

If you have a brand new set that displays the types of issues reported you either have a bad connection to the set, or problems with the set's internal components. The described picture is clearly not normal.

Hopefully the set's owner checked to make sure that it wasn't a loose cable or something obvious causing the problem.

Once you've done the simple checks, contacting a technician is a good step in getting this corrected.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally posted by aydu
This was probably meant as a combination of humor and help.

If you have a brand new set that displays the types of issues reported you either have a bad connection to the set, or problems with the set's internal components. The described picture is clearly not normal.

Hopefully the set's owner checked to make sure that it wasn't a loose cable or something obvious causing the problem.

Once you've done the simple checks, contacting a technician is a good step in getting this corrected.
Ok...maybe I was a little thin-skinned as I was a proud member of the camp of GWlll owners who stated proudly "my set's worked flawlessly for two months...quit your whining about Sony!"

I have checked all connections. Clearly the problem is with the set. I've bypassed the cable box to see if the trouble was there. The problem also shows up when a DVD is playing. The set is the problem. Like others have stated, it fries me to have to have service on a 2 month old unit that cost well over 3 beans. I'm 30 days past BB's return policy so I have no choice. Today, I ran down to BB and plunked down $250 for the 4 year warranty just to cover myself. I figure, if the fix goes bad three times, it's worth the cost to get a new replacement.

The thread on the GWlll buzz problem is 2.5 million pages long now.....I was just hoping there was someone out there with the same problem as I have that could share what the fix was, and how reliable it's been since the repair. My biggest fear as stated in my original post is the problem is intermittant...I can see the tech now..."looks fine to me".

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
You can always wait to see if the problem goes from intermittant to constant. That is the easiest to get diagnosed, but naturally the most inconvenient for you.

The only problem I have read about here, beyond the startup problem, involves the light engine in the set. This is a very expensive repair - almost as much as the set - but has been made successfully in the field by the repair people.

Extended warranties are an excellent idea with these sets. Reliability is suspect for them, but the replacement parts are sure to be expensive, once out of factory warranty. It would be awful to have a 15-18 month old set go bad and need $1000+ repair job.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.