AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's good news that some people are getting their LT150s, but why haven't we heard what the new owners have thought of it yet? The only one I've read that goes into any depth is from the guy that returned it back (groan) because the light output was too low. Of course it was a tremendous value, but is it better or worse than your old setup?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Probably a good thing that we do post our thoughts.

Got mine last thursday. I set it up temporarily by my computer and showed it on the wall. Mostly did bits and pieces of "The Fifth Element" and after a little while, I thought it looked good.

This weekend, I built a PVC structure and draped a white sheet over it to act as a screen in my main viewing area. I set up the projector in front of the couch and watched "Spinal Tap" last night. Probably not the best example to use for a test, and I haven't calibrated the projector video yet. So far, I'm pretty satisfied, considering my limited means right now...

Jason

·
Registered
711 Posts
Les,

Why do you think the LT150 is better than an LP350? I have both a sealed LP350 and a sealed LT150. I was going to sell the LT150 and keep the LP350 (using the profit off of the LT150 to defray my LP350 costs).

Your post has me worried though. I am a newbie to PJs and thought that the LP350's lower lamp cost, zoom, and overall design was superior to that of the LT150. Your thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Don,

Please see the above links. I did a full comparison between the LP350 and LT150 in the first link.

To summarize, the LP350 is a good machine. I'm sure you'd be happy with it. However, I preferred the LT150 because it delivers better contrast with better blacks.

The LT150 loses in brightness (but not by much, the LP350 feels overrated), and bulb cost, and internal scaler.

No zoom is a pain because it requires precision mounting, but the throw on the LT150 is also better than the LP350.

Since you have both machines in hand, maybe you can do a shootout of your own and see which one you like better.

--Les

·
Registered
197 Posts
Don,

I have to agree with Les. The LP350 is a decent HT machine. Its more flexible in that it is plug-n-play with a very good scaler, zoom, cheaper bulb usage costs, and a bit brighter.

But it all comes down to picture quality, and the LT150 beats the LP350 pretty convincingly. So, I bought the NEC after demoing an LP350 for a week.

Granted, you may need to have light control, a mounting position that works, and a decent progressive input. But, if you can provide that -- the LT150 will really look a lot better.

I think the biggest reason is contrast, the LT150 is way better in this regard whereas the LP350 has grayish blacks and loses some detail in dark scenes. Look for a projector with a contrast of at least 700:1 for HT use. There are plenty out there now, both DLP and LCD. It just so happens that the LT150 is the only one <$3000.

-Dave

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am one of the lucky. Apologies for not writing sooner, but all the time I wasted watching order status screens last week caught up with me this week and I've been swamped.

So far I've watched 3.5 movies through my 150.

-Disney's Black Cauldron (nephews were over and had a blast, and they didn't care if the quality was good or not. Turns out the VIDEO quality was fine, the animation left much to be desired http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

-5th Element. Duh. Again. Duh. Duh. Double Duh.

-Parts of Gladiator and First Contact.

Ok, disclaimer time. I had been in the market for HT an entire WEEK before the 150 deal popped up. So I have NO basis for comparison or have I ever seen a PJ in action before. I was looking seriously at the new Sanyo 60, but then started getting interested in the 150 due to the low price (2700 at the time). When the 1700 came around, I had read enough to know that it was something I should AT LEAST try for.

So far I am glad I did. I have a *horrible* home for HT, more windows than walls. So I simply wait for the sun to go down and fire it up. I'm setting it on top of an end table and shooting it on a sand-colored wall. The wall also happens to be textured. The picture is great. Better than my DV sitting right below, and better than most RPTV that I've seen.

I'm driving the 150 from a stock C800. Yes, you heard that right, a DELL C800 Latitude laptop. It's an all in one Dell HT solution http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif Seriously, the laptop is my work-issue machine, but it just happens to have a DVD drive, 1GHz proc, 32MB of each system and video RAM, and a 3D GPU. Add to that a S/PDIF output, and it is truly an all-in-one portable HTPC.

Couldn't be happier at this point. Other than if Dell somehow forgot to charge my CC. Would anyone be surprised at this point? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

-Shawn (The Other Shawn)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.