AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any Denon owners out there using the built in HD Radio in your receiver?

I was looking at I believe the 4810CI at BB Magnolia and the salesman toggled through choices and I didn't see an AM/FM band, it just showed HD radio.

I was under the impression this piece has 2 tuners, one the standard AM/FM thingie, and then HD radio?

Are any of you using HD radio on this piece and if so, are you pleased with it?

I live way up on a hill and in a prime location to receive FM signals.

I'm "trolling" right now for a receiver as I've just sold off an entire McIntosh separates system including the MR-78.

I'm using a borrowed from friend Pioneer VSX-1015TX receiver for the time being. I'm not in an immediate rush, but doing my homework.

Looking on the back, there is only one 75ohm input for an antenna signal.

I surmised "maybe" the receiver defaults to a regular FM signal, or HD if it's available?

Is Denon the only one right now that actually has the HD module built in compared to Onkyo and Yamaha who are also listed on the www.hdradio.com

site? The salesman said the other brands have to have a module added for HD radio.

Thanks in advance for any responders.

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zork52 /forum/post/18206368

I was looking at I believe the 4810CI at BB Magnolia and the salesman toggled through choices and I didn't see an AM/FM band, it just showed HD radio.

I was under the impression this piece has 2 tuners, one the standard AM/FM thingie, and then HD radio?

I surmised "maybe" the receiver defaults to a regular FM signal, or HD if it's available?

The HD tuner will connect with either the "digital" AM/FM signal (if strong enough) or revert to the "analog" AM/FM signal. You generally have to be close to the radio towers though as digital signals us only about 1/100 of the power that AM signals use and generally are only about 1/3 as strong. If you're not getting good analog signals where you're at now, then you're not likely to be able to get the digital signals for those stations that are also broadcasting in "digital". So the HD radio would simply revert to the analog signals as you surmised. Keep in mind, however, that decent HD tuners can be bought for under $100 and then connected to the AVR as well (if the AVR doesn't already include it).

·
Premium Member
900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zork52 /forum/post/18206368

Any Denon owners out there using the built in HD Radio in your receiver?

I'm "trolling" right now for a receiver as I've just sold off an entire McIntosh separates system including the MR-78.

I'm using a borrowed from friend Pioneer VSX-1015TX receiver for the time being. I'm not in an immediate rush, but doing my homework.

Looking on the back, there is only one 75ohm input for an antenna signal.

Is Denon the only one right now that actually has the HD module built in compared to Onkyo and Yamaha who are also listed on the www.hdradio.com

site? The salesman said the other brands have to have a module added for HD radio.

Thanks in advance for any responders.

Hi. One thing to keep in mind is that the "HD" in HDRadio does not stand for "High Definition" ala HD TV.

I have an Onkyo PR-SC885 with HDRadio and a Sangean HDT-1 tuner in my whole house audio setup. I did an A-B test with the Sangean and a decent Parasound tuner, with both connected to a large Channel Master antenna in my attic (used for terrestrial HDTV signals). Couldn't really tell much difference. YMMV, of course, but I'm still happy with the Sangean tuner because it can be controlled with a infared remote control. And it was fairly cheap.

I'm not implying that this was a scientific test. My WH system uses 20 wpc zones and 8" 3-way speakers. The Onkyo 885 is in my dedicated HT with fairly high-end gear and the tuner sounds decent to me, but not as good as a disc played locally. Is it better than a standard tuner? Probably.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies. I'll be watching this forum for more input as well.

I see Sangean makes a few different models also. They look pretty nice.

I live in a great spot for FM reception with a pretty decent rooftop antenna set up. So it's really the quality of the tuner.

I come from a time when all receivers used to have a great tuner in them. However they were all just stereo receivers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts