AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a single online reference document that lists FAQ's for optimizing D-ILA performance? It would be great to have one that could be printed out and was organized with an index, table of contents, etc. Most of the info already exists here, but not in a real convenient form.

I would be willing to submit an outline that could be tweaked by others, and then filled in and kept up to date as new stuff is added. Perhaps someone else has already done this? I don't want to reinvent the wheel, but it would be really useful for all of us.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Would this be your doctorate thesis at Harvard? (just kidding) On the serious side, this would be a great idea. If you felt up to the challenge, do a search for Dila FAQ. From there you see that there is often a long list of links grouped together by topic but not necessarily in a comprehensive manner. For instance I was searching for a hushbox and was hoping to find info on the whisper flow hushbox but didn't find it there. Also throw distance calculator was not available on the Dila FAQ but I located it elsewhere. Good luck!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bluhorizan and Don,

Yes I know there are the set of DILA links already and these are great thanks to your efforts, Don. What I was proposing though was a single document that incorporated that material so that it could be printed out and referenced offline. I have found a similar FAQ very useful for my other hobby/weakness, fast sports cars.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Gentlemen,

I created the FAQ for this reason, but the topics within the FAQ are not comprehensive. The lens calculator was there, but I created a direct link for a download of the installation software. I am open to any suggestions and would attempt to insert them ASAP. I have added info regarding the whisperflow, but the referenced link to the whisper flow site is dead (though other helpful information from users that post to the AVSforum is helpful).

Happy holiday.

I would suggest we post all new additions here so that I can ably assist.

------------------

STOP HDCP on DVI

Don O

[This message has been edited by Don O'Brien (edited 04-15-2001).]

·
Registered
128 Posts
I think the document would work great.

------------------

robert

·
Registered
180 Posts
This is a great idea and would benefit all of us who love to tweak and read. I hope you follow through with this and I hope you are aware of what is involved. If I may make a suggestion, start with the most recent information and work backwards. The changes in popular wisdom is great and there is no sense remaking the wheel. Best of luck.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Does such a thing as a "collaborative document" exist?

I can picture a document (possibly a web page), laid out into an outline where folks can help build the reference with their own experiences.

For instance, recent sections could be added regarding the Radeon/D-ILA or the 48 hz refresh rate from those users with experience.

While I applaud the idea, I think that it would be a big task for one person to take on. I would be happy to contribute to a "collaborative document", however.

Does any one know of any technology that matches this description?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Mark,

you beat me to the punch. This would have to be a collaborative effort, as it is a huge undertaking. There are so many manufacturers involved, that I was hoping we could get a sponsor for an effort like this.

Just a few chapter headings would include

-Screen choices

-throw distance calculation

-ceiling mounting vs. floor mounting

-hushboxes-purpose ,use and design

-comparison to other technologies

-utlization of various scalers with the D-ILA and different screen ARs (1.33, 1.78, 2.35)

-use of anamorphic optical adapters

-importance of using a scaler

-usability when combining a scaler for NTSC, with an HD STB, and HTPC

-extensive section of use of HTPCs with Geforce, Radeon, Custom Resolutions, software players, associated sound cards

-how to mate a 4:3 projector with a 16:9 screen

-how to evoke and create serial control of the projector

-Projector calibrations-process, cost, availability, history

-Product and model availability, specs

-pre-wiring and cabling instruction, (com, VGA, RGBHV vid etc)

-pixel defects and other problems

-a link to objective, third party reviews

-up and coming technology

------------------

STOP HDCP on DVI

Don O

[This message has been edited by Don O'Brien (edited 04-16-2001).]

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Gentlemen,

I believe a "two-tiered" approach would work well. Let us live with the disjointed, but available current FAQ. It is problematic because the density of information is poor. Frequently, in a big thread, there are just a few posts that provide most of the information. To read the whole thread (which I did several times when developing the FAQ) for a tidbit of information is a pain in the A**. I would suggest this thread be used to suggest additions to the old dinosaur.

The second tier would be to develop a new product that is collaborative and user friendly. I believe much of the content could be derived from the existing FAQ, but we would trim the fat and design the document with a search function and a more organized table of contents.

Just my 2 cents.

------------------

STOP HDCP on DVI

Don O

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The collaborative document is what I had in mind. Certainly we should keep the present information in place until we are satisfied that the new document is ready for "prime time".

I believe one person should have overall responsibility for editing and incorporating information contributed by others. I nomintate Don O if he has the time and is willing. Don?

There is also the question of where to keep the document. It should be someplace secure but easily accessible. Perhaps the AVS forum webmaster would grant us the space, and I think that would be best. I believe there are other AVS technical areas that could make good use of a "FAQ's" place here as well!

If that is not possible, I'm sure one of us has a site (me included) that would accept this, but it then means always referring to it via links rather than by the AVS table of contents, which makes it less accessible to others.

Any other thoughts? Who should we send this to request permission for an AVS FAQ's location?

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Yes. Very much interested.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to create a "collaborative document"?

I am picturing a big shared Word document, where anyone can click and type their input and the changes are saved to the shared document. I know that this doesn't exist, but what would be the closest approximation?

I would be happy to host it at Dilard.com as a "permanent" spot if we come up with a way to create the content.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
This looks like it will be a necessity. It appears they are having difficulty keeping the archives accessible. About 30 to 40% of the threads are in the archives. Web design is not my gig, but I am open to all suggestions and willing to participate/coordinate in the effort if it comes to fruition.

------------------

STOP HDCP on DVI

Don O

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I proposed on-site location(s) for the FAQ's to the Forum Administrator and received a very positive response (see below). Now we have to decide who the contact person/D-ILA FAQ administrator will be for this area.

I propose Don O'Brien if he is willing, read has the time to update it every once in awhile with information contributed from others. Perhaps there are other volunteers? I would rather not take it on, but as I suggested above would be glad to contribute an initial outline.

I would think that information could be contributed in the form of emails to the FAQ administrator, but perhaps a more direct way can be implemented by the Forum administrator.

>Gentlemen:

>A number of us have decided that we need a FAQ location for various

> subjects on the Forum. The purpose would be to have a ready reference

> for each AV subject area that contained information that comes up

> continuously. That would cut down on unnecessary clutter and provide a

> centralized place for newbies to start out. We envision that each FAQ

> would be an ongoing collaborative effort by experts on each respective

> subject.

>

> We need a home for this and was wondering if the Forum could provide a

> space for a FAQ area on each of the main subjects now listed. If the

> space is not available, there have been suggestions to move it off-site,

> perhaps connected by links.

>

> See the "New D-ILA FAQ Document?" thread on this topic in the

> DLP/LCD/D-ILA/ projector area for discussion of the issue.

>

> Can you let me know if there is a possibility that AVS can host such an

> area? I believe it would be best to keep it on the Forum, but recognize

> that space constraints may not permit it.

>

> Thanks, thorrall (Thomas R. Horrall)

First off it is a good idea. Second please be aware you can not harvest

information from our site unless you are the post author. The information on

our site is (c) and owned by the site and the origional poster.

As far as a FAQ goes, we should not have an issue finding a place to store it

as long as it is maintained and a few other things are followed.

I can not get inthis now because I am away on vacation, but we can look at this

next week.

Please find one people who would be the contact for this FAQ section for me to

work with and we will see what we can do.

Regards,

David Bott

AVS Forum Admin

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
David has always been responsive, generous, and fair. I would be glad to volunteer my time.

Don O'Brien

------------------

STOP HDCP on DVI

Don O

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don,

Thanks so much for the volunteering. Hopefully it will be a lot of fun. Would you please send a confirming email to David so he knows you are the point person?

Let me know if I or others can be of help.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Don,

Thanks from the whole D-ILA community! Although you are the main contact, definitely do not think that you need to do all the work!

Let us all know where we can contribute to this to make it the best that it can be. This was a long time coming!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I will need a "boat-load" of help. After establishing how this document will be developed, stored and delivered (clearly not my area of strength), I think the first place to start is chapter headings. 2nd we can establish who should contribute to these individual content areas. 3rd those individuals will write outlines that will be reviewed by others with expertise in a simliar content area. After the chapter outlines are approved, the content will be written, peer reviewed and posted.

I will contact David within the next couple of days.

PS:

I will be looking for alot of volunteers. Let us hope we can be successful. "JVC can you say sponsor".

------------------

STOP HDCP on DVI

Don O

·
Registered
774 Posts
Great Idea...

Did someone say sponsor??? As most of you know, my time here is somewhat limited but I will be glad to lend any assistance I can in an official or unofficial capacity.

Also, if some sort of secure site is needed during development of a document, I can provide a secure FTP location on my "large-screen" website as a document repository until it is completed. This would allow access by members of the collaborative team only.

Don, either you have way to much free time on your hands or you got more out of those time management courses than I did... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Regards,

------------------

Tom Stites

Director, Business Development

Digital Systems Division

JVC Professional Products

"My opinions do not necessarily reflect..."

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.