AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've been trying to find a decent tower set that both looks good and sounds good. My budget on the towers is about $400, I know that isn't much, but my wife keeps giving the thumbs down to the HTiB suggestions.. She insists on towers.

Which I am ok with since most Htib probably don't sound as good as a good beginner setup, or so I am told. Anyone know of any good Thanksgiving or Black Friday deals with towers that both sound AND look good? Please guys.. My wife is killing me and I've been wracking my brain for weeks looking for something that both fits my budget and fits her tastes. I love her, but omg, what a pain

... And then I have to pick a receiver :/

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
What does she think looks good? In that price range you could get real wood in black but the real good looking speakers usually carry a hefty premium.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly I don't know! I've tried to show her some Htib, but I think what I'll do is I'll present her with the list of ideas presented here and give her an ultimatum to either pick one of the sets that she thinks looks best or deal with TV speakers

·
Registered
19,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel /forum/post/19544947

You should be thankful. This usually works the other way. The wife usually pushes the HTIB. Your wife is giving you a blessing. In the end towers will sound and look better than most HTIB can offer.

And the wives have been pretty tough this season.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, some of the KEF stands at that ac4l website look nice, I think she would like those but the prices are pretty high even for being refurbished. Are those prices for two towers or just one? If it was for both towers I could stretch my budget a bit to add those. But of its 400-600 per tower it would be way out of my range.

·
Registered
19,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggy /forum/post/19544992

wow, some of the kef stands at that ac4l website look nice, i think she would like those but the prices are pretty high even for being refurbished. Are those prices for two towers or just one? If it was for both towers i could stretch my budget a bit to add those. But of its 400-600 per tower it would be way out of my range.

Iq50 $499 pair

·
Registered
463 Posts
Not happy with the Celestions looks-wise? They seem to be at quite a nice discount indeed, 60% off!

Anyway, as far as I can tell each product title clearly states "each" or "pair". Not sure which KEFs in particular you were thinking of, but the IQ50 or IQ70 at the prices there should be a great deal, and look good too... though your wife might not agree, but worth asking

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree, they do all look rich, I was just worried because they look so nice that I thought they might be per item. I did read pair but I thought it would be best to ask, how do the pair in the $500 range sound? I assume since these are all valued at around 1k each pair, they'd be an excellent buy, but I understand the 50% discount is because they are refurbished.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggy /forum/post/19545140

I agree, they do all look rich, I was just worried because they look so nice that I thought they might be per item. I did read pair but I thought it would be best to ask, how do the pair in the $500 range sound? I assume since these are all valued at around 1k each pair, they'd be an excellent buy, but I understand the 50% discount is because they are refurbished.

The KEF's are excellent. Suggest you let your wife choose since she clearly has better taste.

Ron

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Let me ask this... I see some of the speakers show the circular tin things in the front (woofers? obviously you can tell my ignorance level) and some are covered in what looks like mesh. My wife seems to like the mesh covering much better (I HIGHLY disagree.. but whatever). Do *ALL* speakers come with these coverings for both towers, or is it more usual that only one is covered for some acoustic purpose? I can get her to bite on one of these if they are covered in that mesh in front.

·
Registered
376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggy /forum/post/19545241

Let me ask this... I see some of the speakers show the circular tin things in the front (woofers? obviously you can tell my ignorance level) and some are covered in what looks like mesh. My wife seems to like the mesh covering much better (I HIGHLY disagree.. but whatever). Do *ALL* speakers come with these coverings for both towers, or is it more usual that only one is covered for some acoustic purpose? I can get her to bite on one of these if they are covered in that mesh in front.

all towers should have covers that come with them you have the option of keeping them on or removing them

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ahh excellent! Ok, so i am looking at something black.. I see the IQ70, IQ50, and C7 as being in my price range. I guess its safe to say the higher the price, the better the system. Any suggestions on a receiver? Rob had suggested Pioneer VSX-820-k, and EV suggested the IE Marantz SR5003 (out of my range). Not sure how these receivers would be able to handle the towers I have in mind?

I have a 1080p plasma, not 3d.. Not really interested in 3d sound right now or the foreseeable future. I guess the TV can do its own upconversion? The tv is also already wifi ready.. Btw, my setup will be 5.1.

·
Registered
376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggy /forum/post/19545406

Ahh excellent! Ok, so i am looking at something black.. I see the IQ70, IQ50, and C7 as being in my price range. I guess its safe to say the higher the price, the better the system. Any suggestions on a receiver? Rob had suggested Pioneer VSX-820-k, and EV suggested the IE Marantz SR5003 (out of my range). Not sure how these receivers would be able to handle the towers I have in mind?

I have a 1080p plasma, not 3d.. Not really interested in 3d sound right now or the foreseeable future. I guess the TV can do its own upconversion? The tv is also already wifi ready.. Btw, my setup will be 5.1.

as for the bigger price being better not always . best to check out as many reviews as you can of a speaker you like . More importantly if you can demo them before buying would be even better as everyone thinks differently on speakers what sounds awesome to you might not to someone else you know ..

whats your budget for receiver?

·
Registered
19,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggy /forum/post/19545406

Any suggestions on a receiver? Rob had suggested Pioneer VSX-820-k, and EV suggested the IE Marantz SR5003 (out of my range). Not sure how these receivers would be able to handle the towers I have in mind?

I would consider the Iq over the C series.

The Pioneer is OK - I have one as a back up - Go back to the sight

and look at the refurbish Onkyo 608.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My budget for the receiver would be 200-300, then I should be done. I just want to make sure the receiver goes well with the receiver and vice versa, i don't want to blow anything out because I obviously have no idea what I'm doing. It has to be "me" proof

·
Registered
19,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggy /forum/post/19545670

My budget for the receiver would be 200-300, then I should be done. I just want to make sure the receiver goes well with the receiver and vice versa, i don't want to blow anything out because I obviously have no idea what I'm doing. It has to be "me" proof

You will be fine - just follow the instructions - it is easier than

you may think.

·
Registered
29,111 Posts
The iQ70's come on sale at Fry's electronics for $500/pr quite often. Now that I see you're in Florida I guess that wont work. No Fry's out there. Closest one is in Atlanta.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts