AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had the Windgard Sensar GS-2BRD ota antenna installed yesterday by directv. After suggesting to the tech that we aim the antenna between the two cities that I receive the 4 main networks (abc,cbs,nbc,fox) from which he did not do at first and really didn't seem like he wanted to climb back up and do, we finally got all four networks to come in very well. The signal strength was 80%+ and these cities are 45 miles away from me. I have a one story house with a large attic above it. The antenna is mounted at the apex of the roof on the outside.

I'm totally surprised that I didn't have to buy an amp, rotator and pole/tower.

Antennaweb suggested I use the highest gain antenna with and amp and all that. I really didn't expect the winegard to work at all. Since it was free with a free install I thought what the heck. I'm glad I did as it has saved me at least $125 plus having to install it all myself.

Now my question to you more hardcore enthusiasts is will I actually be getting the signal in HD when it is broadcast in HD?

Will my signal or picture quality be less then if I had the same antenna and lived in the big city or a lot closer to the broadcasting stations?

From my reading of this forum it seems it's all about gain and signal loss. Does that have anything to do with me signal strength meter display screen on my directv receiver?

Also, my tech said I should call back at the end of the month as they will have the new 5 LNB dish which will have double the HD channels.

Has anyone else heard this? I'm going to prowl the forums for more info.

Thanks guys :)

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
With digital OTA reception, either you have a picture or you don't, there's no in between. If you have solid reception, you'll get HD when those stations broadcast HD programming.

The MPEG4 upgrade will only bring you an additional 4 channels off the bat tops. They are using the new sats and equipment to transmit local stations and they are starting off with just the big 4 for your viewing area.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekgirrl
Now my question to you more hardcore enthusiasts is will I actually be getting the signal in HD when it is broadcast in HD?
- If you have a HD receiver and the program is actually HD, then yes.

Quote:
Will my signal or picture quality be less then if I had the same antenna and lived in the big city or a lot closer to the broadcasting stations?
- It’s a digital signal, so it will come in perfectly, not at all, or will break up if the signal is not strong.

Quote:
From my reading of this forum it seems it's all about gain and signal loss. Does that have anything to do with me signal strength meter display screen on my directv receiver?
- Typically you need high gain if the cable is a really long length or split. Otherwise, you should be fine. I don’t know which D* receiver you have, but there should be a OTA signal strength option in the menu. The higher the better, but as long as the signal strength is constant and doesn’t dip to 0 constantly, you should have a solid picture.

Quote:
Also, my tech said I should call back at the end of the month as they will have the new 5 LNB dish which will have double the HD channels.

Has anyone else heard this? I'm going to prowl the forums for more info.
- He’s probably talking about the local HD channels. So if you are picking them up via OTA already, you won’t be gaining anything. No new national HD channels have been announced for D*.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info.

We have the hr10-250 and the new hd receiver with out the tv as well.

The tech used diplexers on each receiver to get the antenna signal to the box.

I doubt directv will have the hd channels for our local area for a few years so I guess there is no reason for me to get the 5LNB dish. I did read on here that someone said their hd picture was a lot better though. But who knows.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
The 5 LNB dish will do nothing to improve your current HD channels you receive from Directv.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
I'm going off memory, so I may be a bit off. To test OTA strength with the HD Tivo:

- Turn to the OTA channel you want to test.

- Go into the DirecTV/Tivo main menu.

- Select "Settings"

- Select "Channels"

- Select "Test Off-Air Signal Strength"

Note that the Tivo will stop any current recording it is doing to test signal strength.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help all.

The Sensar GS-2VRD is working great so far. Yesterday was really windy here so I did have problems with one station, cbs I think. I turned the antenna directly at the city we get that station from but it didn't help. We may have to upgrade to the channel master 4228. I'm guessing it's a better antenna than the Sensar.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
The 4228 is a high gain UHF antenna, at 45 miles out, if all your digital stations are UHF, it should work for you.

tokerblue, you can switch stations once on the OTA meter page, I believe you need to tune to the actual broadcast frequency, not the mapped one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.