AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick comment a question. Received a nice package from Direct directly, $24.95 for ellipitical dish, dual lnb, Sony receiver, and free install. Figure I can only be out that amount of money, if ever a swap out, etc. Any comments?

About a week after install, will then hook up Toshiba 3000 HD box, as 2nd receiver, (on order). Question is, when installer comes out next week, and he will only haev the Oval/Sony to install, what will happen when he tunes in sat 119, and goes to HD channels? See nothing, no pic, but receive a signal? Or get channel, but just not in HD? Just curious so, when I hook up my 2nd receiver (Toshiba HD box) hopefully it will be a easy hookup, and no problems searching for the HD channel (s).

·
Registered
856 Posts
Set your receiver to the correct dish (Oval, Elliptical, 24"x18", or whatever they call it) and have the installer make sure all transponders get a solid signal (on my setup I get signals between 84-93 on the 101 and signals between 48-60 on the 119, but it is tough to get better strength here in the Boston area). To double check, tune in to channel 400, and if you get the previews for Spanish PPV movies, then you should be good to go). Channel 400 is on the 119 satellite, but is not in HDTV.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PTS
Figure I can only be out that amount of money, if ever a swap out, etc. Any comments?
If Charlie Ergen's comments can be taken at face value, your recievers will be swapped out to functionally equivalent models at no charge.

Quote:
...when installer comes out next week, and he will only haev the Oval/Sony to install, what will happen when he tunes in sat 119, and goes to HD channels?
The Sony will receive the few public interest SD channels off 119 - the NASA channel being one of the nicer plums - and Para Todos if you subscribe to it. I believe some locals are served by 119, too. But, none of the HD stuff will come in, no way, no how, period, until you get your HD box. When you do get your Toshiba HD box, it'll be a piece of cake. By the way, if you don't already have an HD TV, viewing HD content downconverted to 480i via the S-video connection is literally at least DVD-quality eye candy.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ray, yes already have Mits 55805. Would love to obtain the Zenith 1080 box, but just cannot afford it, have enough money for the Toshiba 3000, but just have this gut feeling I am always going to 2nd guess myself, if I go the Toshiba route. Have seen hd pic at my local dealer, with same Mits box, and very nice! Considering I can obtain the Toshiba at $449 and $20 delivery, kinda hard to pass up. But boy, sure worreid about 2nd guessing my puchase.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.