AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a new Directivo unit out? What are the improvements? I love my UTV and have no plans of switching unless MS or DTV decides I have to.

thx

bob

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Not many improvements, at least not yet. Basically just the next model, like a slightly revised car model. A little faster, less expensive for them to make, etc. They have USB 2.0 ports, but no officially announced features for them. The monthly fee is $5, just like the previous models are (and like UTV, one fee covers them all).

·
Registered
281 Posts
Is that $5 monthly fee for the receiver or does that include the Tivo sevice as well?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
The fee for the Tivo service is $5. Normal charges apply for additional receivers.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The USB 2.0 ports support using USB Ethernet vs Phone line for downloading the guide data. Other than that, I can think of no real hardware difference from Series 1 units.

The have been mixed reviews of the Series II unit so far in online forums.

As someone who owns both UTV and DTivo I can think of no feature-based reason to ditch either a UTV or a DTivo Series 1 for the new units. I had one of the new units on pre-order, I actually killed the order before it arrived because I could not justify the cash for no real benefit.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Quote:
The USB 2.0 ports support using USB Ethernet vs Phone line for downloading the guide data.
Guide data has always come via satellite for the DirecTivos. Currently there is no support for the USB-Ethernet connectivity either, unlike the Series2 standalone Tivos.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.