AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From TivoCommunity and HDTivoGeek. Let the rants begin....
Link

New DirecTV Pricing Starts 2/6

NEW: FAMILY $29.99/mo. plus tax approximately 40 channels

OLD: FAMILY (package name changes on existing customer bills. No change to price or channel lineup)

NEW: CHOICE $49.99/mo. plus tax over 140 channels

OLD: TOTAL CHOICE $44.99/mo. plus tax over 155 channels

NEW: CHOICE XTRA $54.99/mo. plus tax same channels as PLUS (below) but without DVR service

OLD: TOTAL CHOICE PLUS $49.99/mo. plus tax over 185 channels

NEW: PLUS $59.99/mo. plus tax DVR service included over 185 channels

OLD: NONE

NEW: PLUS HD $69.99/mo. plus tax HD Access and DVR service included over 185 channels

OLD: NONE

NEW: PREMIER $99.99/mo. plus tax over 250 channels including all premium channels

OLD: TOTAL CHOICE PREMIER (package name changes to PREMIER on existing customer bills. No change to price or channel lineup)

NEW: Price of HBO is going up by $1 for current and existing customers.

NEW PROMO: Get PLUS for $49.99/mo. for your first 12 months, plus 3 free months of HBO and Cinemax. (Requires mail-in redemption for $10/mo. bill credit for 12 months. After promo period, customers will be charged at then-prevailing rate.

NEW PROMO: Get PLUS HD for $59.99/mo. for your first 12 months, plus 3 free months of HBO and Cinemax and 12 free Pay Per View coupons (one per month). (Requires mail-in redemption for $10/mo. bill credit for 12 months. After promo period, customers will be charged at then-prevailing rates. For High Risk and No hit, the premium channels will not appear in the 4th month unless customer calls to continue those channels).

PACKAGE DESCRIPTIONS

CHOICE: Featuring over 140 top networks including movies, sports, family favorites and 50 XM Satellite Radio channels as well as local programming*. A great value in television entertainment all in 100% digital-quality picture and sound.

CHOICE XTRA: Our most popular television choices, including the best in movies, sports, music, documentary, educational, specialty and family programming. This package includes everything in our CHOICE package plus hard-to-find channels you won't find everywhere else such as Biography, PBS Sprout, History International Channel, E!, The Golf Channel, Nicktoons and Boomerang. Over 185 top networks including 78 XM Satellite Radio channels, as well as local programming all in 100% digital- quality picture and sound.

PLUS: All the programming of CHOICE XTRA, AND with a DVR, this service lets you enjoy TV on your terms with DVR service to pause and rewind live TV, record a season of your favorite show with the touch of a button and save up to 100 hours of programming - no discs or tapes needed. Watch the best of television whenever you want.

PLUS HD: All of the above, AND this package features access to the best HD channels, including ESPN HD, ESPN2 HD, TNT HD, Discovery HD Theater, Universal HD, HD Net, HD Net Movies, local HD channels and more sports in HD than any other cable or satellite provider. All our HD channels bring you a picture clarity that's 7 to 10 times sharper than ordinary TV.

PREMIER: Our very best entertainment package with the convenience of DVR service that offers a world of premium entertainment including movies, sports, music, special events and local channels. Over 250 top networks in 100% digital quality, 31 premium movie channels featuring 7 channels of HBO, 12 channels of Starz, 9 channels of Showtime, and 3 channels of Cinemax, plus more than 30 sports networks with Sports Pack. This package also lets you enjoy TV on your terms with DVR service to pause and rewind live TV, record a season of your favorite show with the touch of a button and save up to 100 hours of programming - no discs or tapes needed. Enjoy the best of television with premium movie and sports channels on your time with the addition of DVR service in your home.

HIGH-DEFINITION SERVICES: Besides introducing the base package options listed above, we are changing the way we offer high-definition service. Formerly, customers were able to purchase the DIRECTV® HD Package for $9.99/mo. We are expiring the current DIRECTV HD Package on February 5, 2007. Now, to simplify delivery of our expanding lineup of HD service options, we are bundling related HD channels into our base, premium and sports subscription packages.

New customers activating HD equipment on or after February 6, regardless of the programming they choose, will pay for access to DIRECTV® HD technology at a flat fee of $10.99 per month (i.e., the HD Access Fee). This fee will be required anytime an HD receiver is activated on a customer's account. The customer receives access to our HD technology so they can enjoy HD transmissions of programming within their programming packages -- for example, if a customer has the NFL SUNDAY TICKET SuperFan package, he/she will get the HD games included in that package; or, if a customer has HBO®, he/she will get HBO® HD. Similarly, if a customer has local channels in their programming package and DIRECTV offers local HD programming in their area, the customer will receive the HD local channels.

There are no changes to our existing 1-year and 2-year programming commitment requirements and policies based on the type of hardware purchased and the programming offers accepted by customers.

There are no changes to mirroring fees, nor to the fees for programming on additional owned receivers; both remain at $4.99 per month.

There is no change to the price of DVR service; it remains $5.99 per month in all cases, except for those customers taking the PREMIER package, which includes the DVR service.

There are no price changes to a la carte packages and services, such as DIRECTV PROTECTION PLAN and BabyFirstTV.

Effective February 6, 2007, we will be strictly enforcing our requirement that customers who reside where DIRECTV offers local channels will have their local channels included with their packages. They will not be able to opt out. Of course, if there are technical issues (such as line-of-sight, etc.), we will continue to handle them on a case-by-case basis.

Channels being removed from the former "TOTAL CHOICE" package and moved to "EXTRA":

E!

G4

OLN=VERSUS

Golf

Discovery Health

ESPN Classic

National Geographic

Fuel TV

Speed

Fox Reality

Sleuth

WGN

Oxygen

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,754 Posts
New Pricing Update:

DirecTV Titanium is being discontinued, and replaced by:

DirecTV Unobtainium

The programming package so exclusive, it's not even available.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Not much to rant for me. I have the Premier already and it looks like the only difference in the HD charge is $1. And that is if I activate new equipment after 2/5. So when any new HD channels come around, I'm good as long as they are within my Premier package.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
WTF, you have to get an extra tier to get WGN? HOLY CRAP. That has been a basic channel

since cable only offered 20 channels.

·
Registered
385 Posts

Quote:
New customers activating HD equipment on or after February 6, regardless of the programming they choose, will pay for access to DIRECTV® HD technology at a flat fee of $10.99 per month (i.e., the HD Access Fee). This fee will be required anytime an HD receiver is activated on a customer's account.

So if I subscribe to the Plus HD package for $70, I'll also have to pay $11 on top of that?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyb99 /forum/post/0

So if I subscribe to the Plus HD package for $70, I'll also have to pay $11 on top of that?

Yeah, I call BS on this one.

I get SuperFan and I have to pay for that, I pay for the HD channels, and I get the locals that I am "paying for" since I can't opt out.

Maybe they are doing it because they put the ATSC tuner in there and if people aren't

subscribing to their HD programming it covers it that way, but if I subscribe to ANY HD package

this fee should be DROPPED!

·
Registered
23,805 Posts
I like the flat access fee for HD and then including the HD versions for whatever SD versions you get. However, that should also mean that you get HD games with NFL ST - and obviously that isn't the case.

My guess is that the Plus HD $10 premium is in lieu of the $10.99 access fee.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 /forum/post/0

I like the flat access fee for HD and then including the HD versions for whatever SD versions you get. However, that should also mean that you get HD games with NFL ST - and obviously that isn't the case.

My guess is that the Plus HD $10 premium is in lieu of the $10.99 access fee.

Dont we already pay an HD access fee for HBOHD and SHOHD in the fee for the HD pack? If you have the HD Pack and sub to HBO you get HBOHD as well. New customers will have to pay 10.99 for HD access and existing customers will not? That sounds screwy to me.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
So, now I have to pay for Choice Plus (or Extra now) just to get Speed? This sucks.

1 - 20 of 192 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.