AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would open a thread to talk about new products that people are getting or have heard great things about (ie. other than 40k Maxx2s).

I for one have heard super things about the new dCS 1-box player, and that it is exceptionally close to their 40k stack.

Anybody heard it?

What else have you heard recently that is floating your boat?

Cheers,

KeithR

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Keith, I've demo'ed the new dcs player on a couple of occasions and found it exceptional, but apparently there are some quality control issues with it that dcs is aware of - e.g., the player will just power off in the middle of a track. I did not have a chance to A/B it with their stack, but I hope to in the near future.

-----------------------------------

Ron Party

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Hi

Am again NYC for a few days.. I will try to audition the Von Shwikert VR-4. I have been viewing the Qualia and frankly..is there anything better out there.

I have also been pleasantly surprised by the new Sonys Wegas, LCD, impressive is the word that comes to mind..but the Qualias... The Qualia PJ and the RPTV are incredible, it is difficult to find a better picture in such a practical package. More on my finding later. I think I am really eyeing the Qualia RPTV for my HT.. Giving myself some time to see prices go down...

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Hi

Am again NYC for a few days.. I will try to audition the Von Shwikert VR-4. I have been viewing the Qualia and frankly..is there anything better out there.

I have also been pleasantly surprised by the new Sonys Wegas, LCD, impressive is the word that comes to mind..but the Qualias... The Qualia PJ and the RPTV are incredible, it is difficult to find a better picture in such a practical package. More on my finding later. I think I am really eyeing the Qualia RPTV for my HT.. Giving myself some time to see prices go down...

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have already mentioned this in couple of other places, but I think it merits another mention. Blue Circle amplification has been a revelation for me. I had the designer/manufaturer drop in for an entire day (he lives nearby) and we listened to and compared a couple of BC amplifiers and tube pre-amplifiers.

At the end of the day-long comparisons I ended up ordering the BC204 hybrid amp right there and then. These amps are simply magical with Wilson Sophia. My next purchase is going to be the BC3000MKII preamp, responsible for at least half of the magic.

·
Banned
8,123 Posts
The pending release of the Meitner DAC with silicon boards and proprietary DAC's. This will be the one to have. Older units can be upgraded.

·
Banned
8,123 Posts
The Lamm ML3 which Vladimir has been working on for several years--Reportedly to be in the range of $125-$130K. It will be a 30 wpc SET-monoblock

The soon to be released Lamm L3 preamp with MSRP of $20-$25K

·
Registered
14,091 Posts
I'm curious if any one here has heard Kharmas and what they sound like. They look like they'd be mighty fine.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
new battery powered darTZeel preamp including phono stage.

i should have the prototype in room within 10 days.

www.dartzeel.com

new Jena Labs Fundamental One conditioner/power cord......WOW!

www.jenalabs.com

·
Registered
14,091 Posts
I had a battery powered Mission in my possession for awhile and it looked like an iron griddle (seriously), but it sounded smooth as butter. The guy that bought was like "this is the ugliest POS I've ever seen, but I have to buy it because it sounds so good". I've never quite understood why battery powered high-end isn't far more popular. You can't get an AC power supply to operate that smoothly. There are a bunch of people experimenting with high efficiency battery powered amps now on Audio Circle.

I also always lusted after the Genesis Stealth amp. I have no idea if it sounded good, but it sure was a beautiful piece.

·
Banned
8,123 Posts
Mike--you know that for a true test you are going to have to insert the Dart amp back into the mix. It will be interesting. I always felt there is a synergy between a preamp and an amp of the same manufacturer until recently when I had opportunity to test the Lamm L2 in my system with the ML 2.1's

Simply put the ARC Ref 3 buried the L2 for reasons I just cannot explain. I understand that Vladimir is aware of the shortcomings of the L2 and has an L3 coming out later this year.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
alimentall

that mission pre amp is 776 which i have one sitting in the storage right now. it is one that i loved but there were some problems with the volume control over age and i had no time and stamina to fix it. however i am still using a 777 power amp (claimed as the first mosfet power amp) for 2 channel with over 20 odd years without fail except blown fuses a few times when i fiddled with speakers

yes in theory converting ac to battery dc and feed the amp stage in preamps may be a good idea

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Kharma is coming up with a flagship speaker Grand Equisite Reference

It willl be at the same level or above as Wilson's X2. A friend of mine ordered it whileit was on paper. He hopes to have it sometime in Oct/Nov. I'm sure it will be one awesome speaker. I'll report when it's here...

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK
I have already mentioned this in couple of other places, but I think it merits another mention. Blue Circle amplification has been a revelation for me. I had the designer/manufaturer drop in for an entire day (he lives nearby) and we listened to and compared a couple of BC amplifiers and tube pre-amplifiers.

At the end of the day-long comparisons I ended up ordering the BC204 hybrid amp right there and then. These amps are simply magical with Wilson Sophia. My next purchase is going to be the BC3000MKII preamp, responsible for at least half of the magic.
I too have heard this is a great combo with Sophias--and as you are in Canada, a no brainer with the exchange and all.

If I didn't go BAT, i probably would have gone BC---206 and step below AG preamp

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneobgyn
The Lamm ML3 which Vladimir has been working on for several years--Reportedly to be in the range of $125-$130K. It will be a 30 wpc SET-monoblock

The soon to be released Lamm L3 preamp with MSRP of $20-$25K
Wow. Talk about some pricy gear OB. The Lamm preamp should be interesting, but with all the "reference" preamps at around 10-12k, I'm not sure Vladimir will have a market for it. (exception to Krell Evolution, of course)

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike lavigne
new battery powered darTZeel preamp including phono stage.

i should have the prototype in room within 10 days.

www.dartzeel.com

new Jena Labs Fundamental One conditioner/power cord......WOW!

www.jenalabs.com
Mike, what is the suggested retail of the darT?

·
Banned
8,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithR
Wow. Talk about some pricy gear OB. The Lamm preamp should be interesting, but with all the "reference" preamps at around 10-12k, I'm not sure Vladimir will have a market for it. (exception to Krell Evolution, of course)

I will be hard pressed to find a better preamp than the Ref3. The L2 in my system much to my amazement couldn't hold a candle to the Ref3 --and I thought there would have been a synergy between the L2 and the Ml 2.1's

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithR
Mike, what is the suggested retail of the darT?
$20k, which sounds like a lot. but;

......since it uses battery power you don't need an expensive power cable or power conditioner.

it includes what is said to be a world-class phono stage; which saves on a phono stage, one set of interconnects and a power cord.....

and.......if you also use the darTZeel amp(s) you can use the 'zeel' cables which are proprietary BNC cables that are dirt cheap. for me this would eliminate a 7 meter XLR set of Valhalla and a 1 meter set of Valhalla interconnects.

so the $20k saves me three sets of expensive interconnects, two power cords, and a phono stage.

in other words, especially after i were to sell my Lamm LP2 phono stage and my Balanced Placette RVC......i will actually come out way ahead if the darTZeel pre performs as i expect.

of course; i'll need to sell my beloved Tenor Hybrids to buy a pair of darTZeel Stereo NHB-108's and an additional pair of Opus speaker cables. that may cost a little.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.