AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to a CSR I just talked to, the new DISH 6000 software fixes 3 problems:

1) The channel change bug wen you hit the * key

2) You can now tune digital channel numbers up to channel 99 without having to set the analog type to Cable. (hooray!)

3) The reversal of CBS and NBC when assigning network affiliation has been fixed.

I haven't verified these, but other threads noted the first fix.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Something else that I noticed last night is that the aspect ration control changes automatically. I was watching a SD satellite channel in the stretch mode and then when I switched to "Bless the Child" on Showtime in HD it automatically switched to normal mode. I wasn't aware of a SW fix and my box is set to ask before applying so I will have to check it out later today. I did notice the new behavior last night for the first time though. I haven't figured out if it always changes to normal or if it only does it when its a 16x9 HD program which it was at the time. Has anyone else noticed this and figured it out in more detail?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I have always kept mine in letterbox mode, when I switch to a non-letterbox channel it would stretch to fill the screen automatically. I have not seen the new software, I think I have it set to ask first.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tomaay
Something else that I noticed last night is that the aspect ration control changes automatically. I was watching a SD satellite channel in the stretch mode and then when I switched to "Bless the Child" on Showtime in HD it automatically switched to normal mode. I wasn't aware of a SW fix and my box is set to ask before applying so I will have to check it out later today. I did notice the new behavior last night for the first time though. I haven't figured out if it always changes to normal or if it only does it when its a 16x9 HD program which it was at the time. Has anyone else noticed this and figured it out in more detail?
I submitted a request through CSR for such a feature about a month ago. The STB should be able to determine the format by looking at fields in the HD data frames. If they actually made the fix, the STB will switch in and out of normal mode when you start receiving 16x9 in 16x9 (rather than 4x3 in 16x9). I'll check it out on my receiver tonight. It would be nice to watch a 4x3 image in watever non-burn-in mode you want and have the set switch automatically to normal more when watching 16x9.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
I submitted a request through CSR for such a feature about a month ago. The STB should be able to determine the format by looking at fields in the HD data frames. If they actually made the fix, the STB will switch in and out of normal mode when you start receiving 16x9 in 16x9 (rather than 4x3 in 16x9). I'll check it out on my receiver tonight. It would be nice to watch a 4x3 image in watever non-burn-in mode you want and have the set switch automatically to normal more when watching 16x9.
When my local digital stations broadcast SD programs, they add bars to both left and right of the program image. I would prefer removing these using my TV's stretch modes. With your proposal wouldn't the STB interpret the broadcast bars as part of the image?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Of the three problems that were supposedly fixed, one of them persists: the problem with mapping to channels over channel 67. You still have to switch between analog type of "cable" to tune high channels, and "off air" to get OTA UHF channels.

I called DISH and spoke with DISH 6000 tech support. He said it was SUPPOSED to be fixed, and he'd check into it. I expect he'll tell me to watch for the next update in 4 months.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.