AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get my new Dish 6000 receiver running. I am getting several channels and they look good. The only thing that seems like it has changed while working though all this is the way the local digital channels appear in the guide.

For example- Channel 2 analog is tagged green and channel 2 digital is tagged yellow. When I select channel 2 digital it does not go directly to displaying the channel. It goes to another screen where it shows channel 2-01. I select that and then the channel is displayed.

There are some local channels that have 2 local digital channels such as channel 5. When you go to that second screen both 5-01 and 5-02 are listed and you can select.

I thought when I first set the unit up it simply listed the individual local digitals directly in the channel guide.

Is this receiver working right?

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
The reason it goes to the intermediate screen is because with the ATSC (HDTV) standard, stations can run subchannels. These are the x.1 or x-01, x.2 or x-02, x.3, etc that you are seeing. This allows them to show several standard def channels instead of the HDTV signal or to run one SD channel and one HD channel. Most stations in my area use the x.1 for the HDTV feed and x.2 for a SD feed. One even has the weather radar up on x.3.

Once you learn what subchannel is what, you can use the right arrow key on your remote to go into browse mode and then use the up and down arrows to scroll through the channels, subchannels included. You then can go directly to a specific subchannel if you want.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.