AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As someone has mentioned before, the new DISH demo running in between PPV movies contain a segment on DiscoverHD. But I was also surprised to see the segment from HBO containing HD highlights of "The 5th Element" and "Men in Black" , both of which were on HBO before I bought my HD VCR's.

Perhaps we can start writing to HBO and ask them to repeat these two demo-quality movies in HD in the upcoming months!

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Was the FIFTH ELEMENT footage 2.35:1? Do you have to pay for a PPV movie to see this?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
5th Element was 'full screen'.. that means probably cropped...

I don't think u have to pay to see it.. just tune in between each showings of PPV movies.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jlin
5th Element was 'full screen'.. that means probably cropped...

That's too bad. When HBO broadcast it in HD in April, 1999, it was in OAR at 2.35:1. This could mean that if HBO should broadcast it again, they may have made a new transfer of 1.85. Very bad. The quality of the 2.35 transfer HBO broadcast was stellar. I'll never forget how thrilling it was too watch it, especially given it was amongst the first HD movies I had seen.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I think you DO have to pay for the movie in order to see the HD demo, because whenever I check a few minutes before the movie starts over again I get the message the movie cannot be purchased at the time. When I tune in when the movie starts over, I just get the 5-minute preview before it goes back to the same message.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.