AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you heard of FMD (Flourecent Multilayer Disk) disks?

A company called Constellation-3D has invented a new type of disk that holds 20X as much as a DVD for the same price.

They have been signing on companies in the movie industry to use these disks to distribute movies to theaters and we should eventually be able to buy movies in the same format as the movie theaters. They will be demonstrating the newest higher density disks and WORM drives at two symposiums at the end of the month.
www.C3-D.net

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is this the HDVD we were waiting for? It certainly has the space to be. The ultimate would be uncompressed pictures in 16x9 1080i. But HDVD Mpeg2 would certainly do, and that's what I'm waiting for before buying my first dvd player. HDVD on an HDTV will be simply incredible!!!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
This technology was first publicly demonstrated early last year. It has been in development for much longer. It does have great potential for very high density, but until you can buy one of these drives it's just a neat technology. All the excitement over holographic memory a few years ago has died down as real world product development has been shown to be much more difficult to achieve than was expected. It would imagine that much the same is occurring with these florescent dye systems or the company developing the technology is waiting for a market to appear that is willing to pay a price premium. Even when/if drives do arrive in the market place, they will need to be at a price close to $500 or it's not going to compete with DVD/RW.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I've said this before, but I think it bears repeating. Here's what I think, unfortunately, we're in for...

DVD sales are really taking off. Just as with cassettes & CDs replacing LPs, DVDs are rapidly replacing VHS as the pre-recorded medium of choice. People will replace (or augment) VHS recorders with DVD players and buy new copies of material on DVD.

The manufacturers of both hardware and software (increasingly one and the same thanks to mega-mergers) want this to continue. Therefore, even though the technology for HD DVDs is within sight, they will hold off on their introduction for several more years (at least 5 is my guess) until sales of DVDs level off.

Given the advantages of discs over tape, some form of HD DVD will be the ultimate high-end format (at least until we go 100% solid state). To the extent that DVHS survives, it would likely have the same relationship as has developed with cassettes vs. CDs (and is developing with VHS vs. DVD). Tapes wind up being the low-end format for pre-recorded material, but survive due to the possibility for home recording. (Even this may change over time. Just look at how affordable CD audio recorders are becoming.)

The prospect of waiting another half decade for the introduction and propagation of the ultimate pre-recorded HD format has me building my own DVHS collection, but if I could rent or buy HD material, I wouldn't bother with home taping. Once reasonable (large storage, good UI) HD PVRs emerge, even rentals would be less attractive than timeshifting.

Just my $0.02... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Peter

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
I'm even more bearish on a consumer HD DVD. CD's and DVD's took off in a (relative) hurry, but both formats provided a quantum leap forward in convenience and quality over their analog predecessors. Yes, HD dvd will provide a better picture, but the leap is not nearly as great as going from vhs to dvd, and there is no additional convenience factor.

At best, it will develop into a niche market, but given Hollywood's concerns about copy protection they don't seem to be too eager to develop this market.

------------------

Alex

·
Registered
42 Posts
Okay guys I'll bite I already have $5,000 + invested in DVDs. Do I stop buying DVDs, if so then what? I have been spoiled to letting the credits roll, then DVD is ready to play again.

BTW guys I read about this blue laser technology (online) over 2 years ago. So that 5 year wait will actualy be 7 years for me!

------------------

Gary Seven

·
Registered
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by work permit:
I'm even more bearish on a consumer HD DVD. CD's and DVD's took off in a (relative) hurry, but both formats provided a quantum leap forward in convenience and quality over their analog predecessors. Yes, HD dvd will provide a better picture, but the leap is not nearly as great as going from vhs to dvd, and there is no additional convenience factor.

<snip>

I strongly agree with you about the convience issue of DVD over disk, but totally disagree about the difference in video quality. To my tired old eyes, the quality difference is huge. Additionally, most people I talk to claim to have purchased the DVD for image quality, not convience. Regardless, of this issue, I think you're right to be bearish. I also hope we look back at this post a year from know and think, "Gee, was I stupid!!!".

Mike

·
Registered
362 Posts
The Constellation 3D disks can be read with a cheap ruby laser and the resultant HD DVD players will be backwards compatible with today's DVDs.

This is an emergent technology, but it is looking very good at the moment. They've signed on some major producers of optical hardware to work with them on production engineering.

If this technology works as well as expected and is as cheap as predicted, nothing will stop it. HD DVDs could be here in a big way in just a few years. Yes, it's only smoke now, but it sure looks good.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Smoke my A.. I have read about the florescent technology. They had this ready to go this winter, then 'they' changed their minds. I read 'release' of players last winter with a summer CD-R recorder release. They sir were in earnest of going into production, I wonder who bribed them to halt their release!

------------------

Gary Seven

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
I think its possible that it could take off if its backwards compatible with DVD's. People aren't going to want to throw away there DVD's that they just got, but they might be willing to buy the new stuff on the new format. Except for certain movies it really won't be worth going back to rebuy stuff on the new format IMHO.

The difference that consumers will be able to see between DVD's and HD-DVD isn't great enough I think to make someone wnat to go back and buy EVERYTHING that they own all over again.

Plus do companies want to re-release everything on the new format all over again potentially taking a loss if it doesn't do well.

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP!!!!!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Something to keep in mind: not everyone is going to have HD displays. For these people a high definition disc format isn't going to offer much improvement over DVD when displayed on their non-HD screens. Therefore, regardless of when the HD-enabling disc format finally becomes available, DVD is still going to be the format of choice for many people. The HD disc is not going to "replace" DVD just because it has a better picture.

There are other reasons why a new disc format could still replace DVD despite the above logic. One being the ironclad copy protection it will no doubt have.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just as with all other aspects of the HD transition I am sure the MPAA is concerned about this. They have already made it known that they don't want digital first-generation quality HD video in the marketplace for fear of rampant priacy. If they can find a legal way to stop this they will. IIRC copyright issues are the very reason why it took so long for CD-R to come to market, and why it is only now becoming affordable.

[This message has been edited by dlsnyder (edited 07-02-2001).]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.