AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have been given a sub from a friend that he says it is an old sub from a 12" SVS (waterheater type) subwoofer and I want to build a 20hz vented box for it. the sub itself looks to be brand new and clean. I have been looking over all the other builds and here is what I come up with and want to make sure I am on the right track.

4.5 cubic foot enclosure

oAudio 500watt plate amp

4"x15" flared vent

and the sub specs I was given are:

Fs: 25.86 Hz

Qms: 4.11

Qes: 0.63

Vas: 69.66 ltr

Qts: 0.55

Re: 4.12 ohms

Cms: 0.233155 mm/N

Xmax: 19.2 mm

Rms: 6.42 ohms

Thanks

James

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
that looks just fine. it will have about a 20hz tuning and depending on the eq in the amp, it may have some boost or not. i'd suggest an amp with a high pass filter to protect the driver under tuning. 500 watts is about the right amount of power to push the driver to its excursion limit in that cab.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 /forum/post/20839499

that looks just fine. it will have about a 20hz tuning and depending on the eq in the amp, it may have some boost or not. i'd suggest an amp with a high pass filter to protect the driver under tuning. 500 watts is about the right amount of power to push the driver to its excursion limit in that cab.

thanks for the input. is there another amplifier you would recommend? I would like to keep the cost around $250 if possible.

thanks

James

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
i'm not one to ask about the available plate amp options. i'm sure someone will post some options.

the o audio appears to have a 20hz high pass filter option. should work.

http://www.oaudio.com/docs/subamp_variouseqsettings.pdf

graph 3b - 20hz setting - peq 'off' (or not used to extend response) looks nice. that will work with most room gain to give you a flat response to a hair under 20 hz.

then you can use the peq to beat down the largest modal peak, which will make it sound much tighter/faster/cleaner (pick your adjective) once in your room.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been thinking that I might want to increase the size and tune it to the 16hz range. should I stick with the oaudio amp or will the PE 500w bash amp be better?

thanks

James

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.