AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this list, so Hi, although I've been lurking for quite a while...

I heard yesterday that the first DLP front projector to use the new spiral color wheel will be from Sharp and will be 16/9. I don't know yet if it uses the low (i.e Piano) or hi res chip used in the new rear projection systems, but at $9k list it ought to be hi res! The spiral wheel runs a lot slower than the present ones, so it will be a lot quieter and have a better MTBF. The projector is targeted for home theater and will be announced in the Fall (CEDIA?). This is a sea change for Sharp who have been LCD up till now, and a real coup for TI.

As for me, I design digital cameras during the day, and immersive home theater systems in the evening. You may find the flostation at www.flogiston.com interesting.

bp

------------------

Brian Park

DVC a href= www.dvcco.com

flogiston www.flogiston.com

·
Registered
873 Posts
Cool . . . .

Are you a johnnie?

Kelly

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Johnnie? Must be some local Philly euphemism...

The image is less distorted than you think. Out to 120 degrees there is little distortion and flat media like existing DVD and games is quite acceptable. The remaining 30 degrees on each side does of course have image stretch, but this is in peripheral vision where acuity is less important and presence and movement is more prevalent. Image warping to fisheye form or shooting using a fisheye lens returns the image to normal spatiality. Once you get in the chair and actually try it, many of the questions are blown away by the experience, which is very intense. As for the light amplitude, I use a gain of 1 on the screen, and the next ones will use a gain of 0.8 to reduce a mild hot spot and increase contrast. I plan to test the new small JVC D-ILA with it soon.

bp

bp

------------------

Brian Park

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know if I can post pricing here, seems too much like advertising. Right now they're expensive, made one at a time by me, so the economics of mass production do not apply. But remember that this doubles as a home theater system as well. The tower doubles as both a home theater source/display and as an immersion system. To switch from one to the other you merely rotate the front surface mirror so that the image projects over the chair on to a flat screen for communal viewing, like a normal home theater with 5.1 speakers. The image is also seen on both sides of the dome so that friends can watch you screw up Doom or whatever. I will be including an Xbox with every system in November as the media source since it does hi def graphics and progressive DVD and broadband gaming - which means the solitaryness goes away. You can always buy two if you're lonely!

As for NTSC, the dome demands high resolution, and HD is the only OTA I'd recommend. Even with a good scaler NTSC looks ragged, but it works if you need your TV fix.

I will be transferring a system from Houston soon to Austin and it will be installed at ecitysuites on 6th and Congress for public access - but you need to email me for an appointment.

bp

------------------

Brian Park

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Hey Floman...that thing rocks!

How much for the model with cupholders?

If you incorporate a beer bong into that visor it would sell like hotcakes at universities! Just think, watching Animal House would be like you were there. I suggest a demo of the new model at the fraternaties. For the sororities all you would have to to is project a picture of a frat boy. he he

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.