AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the new HD2 have come out the older models are selling for under $5,000.00 used. My question is would it be better to buy a used Sharp XV-Z9000 or a used Marants VP-12S1 than a new NEC 1000 or Panasonic AE-3000 or a Sharp XV-Z90?

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
It depends on how much you are sensitive to grayish black.

Personally I will preferred the high resolution of a Sharp 9000 or Marantz than the better black but lower resolution of the XV-Z90

I would chose a Sharp 9000 over the AE300 any day I am sensitive to screendoors. Others may have different opinions.

Bruno

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I have asked questions about the 9000 vs the HT1000 on the >$5k forum and I think the consensus is building that at the same price many people would choose the HT1000 if they saw them side-by-side. The 9000 seems to require a filter and calibration to get the colors right (if you care about that) while the HT1000 does not. From what I've read it sounds like the HT1000 will be brighter with better colors once you set both of them up. Then you just have to decide what things are important to you. No matter what you do the HT1000 should have better depth of image. There is more information over on that forum.

--Darin

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Well, that still leaves another question open ...

what are you connecting to it?

IMO, you are wasting precious brain cells considering DVI if you do not have a digital DVI output device to connect it to (i.e. HTPC)

If you are using a HTPC to feed it ... yes, get the newer "lesser" quality projector w/ DVI. If not, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Quote:
IMO, you are wasting precious brain cells considering DVI if you do not have a digital DVI output device to connect it to (i.e. HTPC)
What about a HD receiver?

Are they putting DVI inputs in these and everything else forthehellofit.

I am considering the Sharp 9000. The $1000 rebate is in effect until 1/31/03.

This makes for some tremendous deals on this model coupled with closeout prices.

DVI is my holdup at this point, maybe I am uniformed on this issue.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Having a DVI may just give you the flexibility of up-grading to a HTPC in the near future. Close your eyes and go for the HT1000. Don't underestimate the importance of having good blacks and color. The HT1000 will win in the black arena. Grey blacks can be quite distracting.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bgosselin
It depends on how much you are sensitive to grayish black.

Personally I will preferred the high resolution of a Sharp 9000 or Marantz than the better black but lower resolution of the XV-Z90

I would chose a Sharp 9000 over the AE300 any day I am sensitive to screendoors. Others may have different opinions.

Bruno
You know not what you speak! I would bet that a sharply focused ae300 has at the very least similar (if not less) screendoor as compared to any XGA DLP. If you can't stand the other LCD downfalls (fixed pattern noise, limited contrast, scanlines - which are minimal on the ae300 but still there), well then that's a valid reason to not consider the ae300.

--

Mike U.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I think anybody considering the 9000u should take a look at this post about the HT1000 along with other posts about the 9000u and HT1000 on the >$5k forum. The link here doesn't talk about the 9000u a lot as it had been dismissed as lesser than the other projectors that the HT1000 is compared to much earlier in the discussion.

Also, I started a thread about the tradeoffs with a fixed budget here that I'm hoping will get some good discussion of the tradeoffs between the projector and the source.

Mike,

I agree with you about the AE300. It had less screendoor than my M20x XGA, but as you mentioned there are other issues that should make it lose out to a 9000u for almost everybody (not the most rainbow prone) if price is not considered.

--Darin

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mulveling
You know not what you speak! I would bet that a sharply focused ae300 has at the very least similar (if not less) screendoor as compared to any XGA DLP. If you can't stand the other LCD downfalls (fixed pattern noise, limited contrast, scanlines - which are minimal on the ae300 but still there), well then that's a valid reason to not consider the ae300.

--

Mike U.
I never saw the ae300 with his smooth screen technology. I don't know how much of a difference it makes. What I know is that an AE100 compare to my 800x600 DLP (800x450) has a lot more screendoors.

My conclusion is that the Sharp 9000 should have less screendoors than the AE300. I would be really surprise if it's not the case. If the AE300 LCD projector (960x540) has less screendoors than the sharp 9000 DLP (1280x720) that smooth screen technology sure does miracles.

I am actually really surprise that the AE300 has less screendoors than the M20x but I never saw any of those two projectors. I can't comment on it.

Bruno

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.