AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very close to purchasing a brand spanking new DLP for my apartment, but I'm looking for some expert opinions so I don't make a poor decision. I'm currently looking at the Samsung HLR-4266W and HLR-4667W as well as the Toshiba 46HM84 and 46HM95. My main use for this TV will be watching sports, movies, and playing games.

I have quite a few questions about these sets, and some concerns. They use a wide variety of DLP chips, the HD2+, HD3, and HD4. Are there significant differences between these and which would be the best? I've seen people commenting on "game lag" with the Samsung sets, is that due to the DNIe? Can that be turned off? I've also seen people say that it doesn't happen when using progressive scan, which I would be with my Xbox and GameCube. What about the brightness and contrast levels? I haven't seen any numbers for the Toshiba sets. Cnet mentions that the Samsung 42 lacks the fine pitch screen of the 46 and up, is that true and does that make a big difference?

Thanks for your help, I'm very excited to make this purchase.

·
Registered
15,821 Posts
Many do complain of lip-sync issues with Samsung DLPs, predominantly with 480i sources, so if you do a lot of 480i gaming, you may want to go with Toshiba (no, it's not due to DNIe). The HD2+ DLPs give a sharper PQ than the HD3 or HD4 chips, and many prefer them (although some prefer the latter chips since they give a smoother, more film-like PQ, so you really need to see for yourself which you prefer).

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP
Many do complain of lip-sync issues with Samsung DLPs, predominantly with 480i sources, so if you do a lot of 480i gaming, you may want to go with Toshiba (no, it's not due to DNIe). The HD2+ DLPs give a sharper PQ than the HD3 or HD4 chips, and many prefer them (although some prefer the latter chips since they give a smoother, more film-like PQ, so you really need to see for yourself which you prefer).
Stay way from the HLR4266. It's an awful set. You'll be much happier with the HLR4667 or either of the Toshibas. As the previous writer said, if you do a lot of gaming, you'll probably want to stick with the Toshibas. If not, it's just a personal preference. Make sure you see all these sets before buying. Oh, and the HLR4667 has been discontinued, so you should be able to find some good buys around - as you should with the Toshiba 46HM84(an older model). The Toshiba HM95 will cost somewhat more, but not a lot. Good Luck:)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks.

I did take a look at the Samsung 42 today and did notice the grainy screen, also I looked up close and didn't like the PQ. It seems... messy, not crisp like I would expect a $2000 tv to be. I haven't seen the 46HM84 yet, but I'm assuming that the HD2+ would be more to my liking.

Neither Best Buy or Circuit City carry the 46, but Best Buy does have the 52. I looked online for the 46 and found a good deal at BuyDig, is that a good place to order from?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazelle
Stay way from the HLR4266. It's an awful set. You'll be much happier with the HLR4667 or either of the Toshibas. As the previous writer said, if you do a lot of gaming, you'll probably want to stick with the Toshibas. If not, it's just a personal preference. Make sure you see all these sets before buying. Oh, and the HLR4667 has been discontinued, so you should be able to find some good buys around - as you should with the Toshiba 46HM84(an older model). The Toshiba HM95 will cost somewhat more, but not a lot. Good Luck:)
HLR4667W has not been discontinued, it was just introduced in May and is a 2005 720p model. It will be replaced in May of 2006.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcoz
I looked online for the 46 and found a good deal at BuyDig, is that a good place to order from?
I actually just ordered the 46hm84 from buydig yesterday. I also ordered an Oppo OPDV971H from Oppo to go along with it. I will let you know what I think of the service of buydig. So far so good. They have kept me up to date with emails.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCSB
If you haven't reviewed this POST ... it would be a good idea to carefully read it:
While the post referenced here is unbelieveably informative, it is quite confusing.

I'm in the same boat as the original poster, in the market for a new rear project, and can't really decide between DLP vs. LCD or brands (Samsung vs. Sony). I'm getting ready to plunk down 4-5k, and feel so uninformed at this point.

Nearly every store I go to has horrible picture quality, they all look bad. It sucks. I have better picture quality on my 46" Hitachi projection I bought in 1999!

It's frustrating...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kali, did you get the extended warranty? I'm not sure if I should or not. Anyone think it's worth it?

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psubill78
While the post referenced here is unbelieveably informative, it is quite confusing.

I'm in the same boat as the original poster, in the market for a new rear project, and can't really decide between DLP vs. LCD or brands (Samsung vs. Sony). I'm getting ready to plunk down 4-5k, and feel so uninformed at this point.

Nearly every store I go to has horrible picture quality, they all look bad. It sucks. I have better picture quality on my 46" Hitachi projection I bought in 1999!

It's frustrating...
None of the current technologies is perfect, and no single one meets everyone's needs. Read this, then base your decision on what your viewing needs are:

http://www.displaymate.com/shootout.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quote:
Kali, did you get the extended warranty? I'm not sure if I should or not. Anyone think it's worth it?
I purchased a 46hm84 from an online reteller and feel strongly that an extended warranty is smart with the high cost of light engines and DMD chips, etc. I called my local repair facility to get their input on different EW companies and they stated NEW and Warrentech/Repair Master gave them the best results on reimbursement and coordination. I then searched (google) for an in-home repair master 4 year (begins after manufacture warranty= 5 years) for Television. It is an (RMT41500), the 4 is years the 1500 is a TV costing less than $1500. I found a reteller selling the warranty for less then half the cost of buying it from the TV seller. Called Warrentech and they said fine just register with them when I get the policy. Good Luck

·
Registered
29 Posts
Quote:
Not through them. I am researching right now. It is a good idea for sure though ;)

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
psubill78 - if you are about to spend 4-5K why don't you wait for the SXRD's to come out -- while waiting can go on forever most players are coming out or have come out with their new models so I would wait 2-3 months then you can compare them all in the stores and read the reviews here. My budget was a bit tighter so I just purchased a new unit based on most units in the 2-3K category having come out -- waited since May on that -- just a thought and the new SXRD's look nice and I am sure the 1080p's will look great in the stores. Also with those tv's out if you don't want to spend that much you should be in a better negotiating position for the 720p tv's

·
Registered
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by colslick
I purchased a 46hm84 from an online reteller and feel strongly that an extended warranty is smart with the high cost of light engines and DMD chips, etc. I called my local repair facility to get their input on different EW companies and they stated NEW and Warrentech/Repair Master gave them the best results on reimbursement and coordination. I then searched (google) for an in-home repair master 4 year (begins after manufacture warranty= 5 years) for Television. It is an (RMT41500), the 4 is years the 1500 is a TV costing less than $1500. I found a reteller selling the warranty for less then half the cost of buying it from the TV seller. Called Warrentech and they said fine just register with them when I get the policy. Good Luck
Edit: Nevermind :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I looked those up and the RepairMaster warranties are very reasonably priced. When selecting a warranty, do you go by how much you paid for the TV or what the MSRP is?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhdiab
psubill78 - if you are about to spend 4-5K why don't you wait for the SXRD's to come out -- while waiting can go on forever most players are coming out or have come out with their new models so I would wait 2-3 months then you can compare them all in the stores and read the reviews here. My budget was a bit tighter so I just purchased a new unit based on most units in the 2-3K category having come out -- waited since May on that -- just a thought and the new SXRD's look nice and I am sure the 1080p's will look great in the stores. Also with those tv's out if you don't want to spend that much you should be in a better negotiating position for the 720p tv's
Thanks for the thoughts, I am getting close to pushing the button on the Samsung HL-R6167W, I'm finding these for like $2600, and I think it might fit my needs...

The 720p vs 1080p, I'm not sure if I'd want to spend more $$ to get it... it will be hooked up to a DirecTV HD Tivo & off air antenna

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Just ordered my new Toshiba 46HM84! I can't wait to get it!

Thanks for the help.
Good Luck with your new TV and DVD Player. Make sure you post a review..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quote:
I looked those up and the RepairMaster warranties are very reasonably priced. When selecting a warranty, do you go by how much you paid for the TV or what the MSRP is?
What you paid for the set as it appears on your receipt. They will want to see the receipt, this also establishes their libility if your set is unrepairable.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.