1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

------------------------------------------------------

quote:

"Sequential Color Recapture - SCR - is a technology that allows all three colors to be present simultaneously, such that a single panel DLP system can now be as efficient as - potentially more efficient than - a three panel system, but without the additional parts, size, weight and expense of three panel systems.''

------------------------------------------------------

If this is as good as they claim (I'm on thin ice already) this might be the key to the inexpensive "three chip DLP's" we have been waiting for.

Mitch

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Quote:
The SCR color wheel is created from RGB dichroic coatings arranged in a "spiral of Archimedes" pattern.

Simple. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

The equation:
http://www.math.hmc.edu/~math142/cur...piralparam.gif

...and the plot:
http://www.math.hmc.edu/~math142/cur...archspiral.gif

I still don't quite understand how this will present all three colors at the same time, but it will sure be the coolest looking spinning wheel projector around.

Seriously, though, it does sound like it could be a big improvement.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I found this website on microlithographic dichroic filter-making. It even mentions RGB dichroic filters for spinning color wheels for projection display applications.

http://www.oceanoptics.com/products/dfa.asp

This seems to be the manufacturing breakthrough to make this new technology possible.

A dichroic filter filters light based upon wavelength. You can have a low pass or high pass filter based upon the wavelength of light. I figured that out based upon this website which shows dichroic filters implemented on a 3CCD camera device:
http://www.duncantech.com/spectral_c...tion_guide.htm

Milori, just like you, I'm still stuck however in understanding how this presents all three colors at the same time.

Ricardo

[This message has been edited by RicardoD (edited 06-07-2001).]

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
The spiral filter allows all colors to be modulated at the same time over some portion of the DLP chip, thus allowing for significently more efficiency.

This spiral configuration is not practical with glass filters I assume.

The current method does not allow this because the chip is never seeing more then one color at a time.

Neat idea.

Frank

·
Registered
351 Posts
Frank,

I was thinking along these lines as well. But how does the DMD pixel know in time which color it is currently reflecting? I wonder how they prevent a pixel from "seeing" two color simultaneously, that is half the pixel is red and half is green. I keep imagining these bands of color moving across the DMD. I just can't understand how they are syncing all this up. I'm sure they answer will look so simple (as all elegant solutions do) once we can get it clearly explained.

All the best,

Ricardo

[This message has been edited by RicardoD (edited 06-07-2001).]

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I see the dreaded "rainbow" effect when thinking about this one...

·
Registered
411 Posts
"With this invention, we can now, in all respects, match three-panel modulators with a single DMD"

------------------------------------------------------------

Now that is an impressive claim. A single chip 720 by 1280 display with this technology might just do the trick for you guys.

You know I have a confession to make. I currently like the technology better than the movies. I just saw "Traffic" and "Best of Show" the other day on DVD and wonder if it is really worth having a big screen. The movies are so bad these days. I basically only watch news and a couple of shows a week and that is it. I love reading about all these new developments but there are only a handful of movies each year I feel are worth watching.

It is the same way with audio. I use to build speaker systems and still like to hear about new designs but I rarely listen to music anymore. How many times can you listen to the same classics?

End Confession.

Christopher

·
Registered
159 Posts
Filters on the color wheel with sub-pixel offsets.

That would allow each mirror on the DMD to average more than one color simultaneously. It should be able to produce subtler shades of colors and completely eliminate the rainbow effect. You'd need pretty precise color wheel filter patterns to pull that off.

That's my theory anyway - it will be interesting to see what the real answer is.

·
Premium Member
25,550 Posts
I don't get it. The spiral lets the chip see more than one color at a time by arraying them radially (at least partially), so the mirrors can scan across them essenyially simultaneously as far as our eyes can tell. But I don't see how light efficiency is improved, unless there is some way the unused colors over a particular filter is reflected (as opposed to absorbed like a color wheel does) back, recaptured, and redirected to the proper element.

------------------

Noah

·
Registered
351 Posts
I contacted Mr. D. Scott Dewald, one of the authors of the SCR paper, and kindly requested a copy of the paper presented at the SID conference and let him know we were discussing the SCR development in this thread and trying to understand it better.

I received a very nice email in reply letting me know that SCR is intially being targeted at business projectors but that there is a future opportunity to use it in home entertainment projectors since it can increase the brightness substantially. He is currently in San Jose at the SID Conference but he let me know he would address this thread sometime next week.

So I think we will get a good explanation now!

------------------

All the best,

Ricardo
Sony KP-xxHS10 Zone

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
The Dichroic coatings are wavelength selective in nature, which means that they are deflective, or prisimatic in effect an affect.. so, therefore, are angular-sensitve, insofar as their alignment and placement (adjacentcy to) the panel surface.

So, if one aligns the color wheel (with coherent light source) MUCH CLOSER to the panel iself... and has the properly aligned (archemidian, and exact in coating quality and consistency) dichroic material attached to the color wheel surface, they can utilize ALL of the 'flip' mode characteristics of the panel's actual operational paramenters.

All of the light will hit the flipping mirrors, in all of it's motion... if properly handled. If properly done and the little mirrors are properly cycled (and it is merely manipulaton of the grid according to a preset formula, in hardware form, so speed is not an issue, and.. refresh rate could easily be higher than it is right now).. color depth could be much more deliniated, and precise. The shorter light path would signifigantly increase the quality of contrast range and black level.. as well as reduce the size and complexity of the entire unit and light path. The entire system could potentially be LIQUID COUPLED as well, for a contrast level that would make you fall all over yourself.

The above is mere speculation that I had a few minutes after reading the salient parts of the article and quickly hitting the highlight of your responses. I suspect that this is what they are thinking. Although, usually I am more careful than that.. as sometimes such open speculation can give someone more information than they had.. even though they are the originator.

The coating would appear consistent in nature when handling the color wheel, except for the fact that along a linear aspect of the wheel itself...the exact axis of mirror flipping itself(the coating is aligned along this axis), there would be a tri-color effect.. that is complimentary to the proper spectral content thatt the human eye requires for linear appearing color temp. With this, they can give you any gradation of any color.. at any time on any of the individual mirrors, with NO wasted motion and light. Pure speculation, but makes sense to me.

------------------

goosystems.com

Ken Hotte

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by KBK (edited 06-08-2001).]

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I must admit, that this has made me very excited. I have always wanted to move from LCD to DLP (I would prefer D-ILA but I cannot afford it or have the situation to deal with its idiosynchrosies,)but the rainbow effect has constantly halted my movement. This would seem to cure the rainbow effect, each pixel is displaying all colours at the same...anyone else agree?

------------------

David Mendicino

Sharp xv-s55u (Don't laugh) :)

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
What I stated, in a convoluted fashion, is that each pixel, or mirror, would have access to the right gradation of color and contrast that it needs at almost any given time. often enough, that it might increase light output signifigantly...no more flashing, or below the 'average' threshold, at least. In my case, I cannot stand to watch TV, or especially DLP units at all.

So, all colors amy not be accessed.. but a greater majority can be accessed, strictly through minute manipulation of the individual mirror angle. What the effect could be pictured as, is a rolling, scrolling rainbow that is constantly moving across the mirror array. Control of mirror motion, and wheel speed would have to be somewhere on the order of 1 part in 500k or so, per rotation, as a guess. Anything less would cause loss of control of proper color at the very least. Lord knows, they are probably thinking of something else....anyway, that's what I would do with it.

------------------

goosystems.com

Ken Hotte

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by KBK (edited 06-08-2001).]

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.