AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read 3 magazines yesterday - Sound&Vision, Perfect Vision, and Widescreen Review.

Sound&Vision had the review of the Samsung HLM507 DLP TV, as has been posted here.

One of the magazines had a review of Daewoo's LCD RPTV (50"?) -- resolution is 1280 x 720, I believe, same as DLP, and less than the Sony LCD.

One of the magazines had a notice/article about the upcoming Optoma DLP TV. The Optoma has RGB input, DVI (no HDCP, per a later post here), other types of inputs, and user gamma control -- making it a probable contender for the most feature-laden, user-tweakable DLP RPTV. The retail price for the 50" is $4995, which means it will likely cost you $1000 more for the same screen size as the Sammy DLP and Sony LCD, if you can get the same discount, and no announced roll-out date in the article, as I recall. I have never seen Optoma around here (i.e., in D/FW, Texas area -- maybe this is their first RPTV, as opposed to front projectors), nor did their Web site respond to my months-old request for a list of where/when it would be sold in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. If it's mostly to high-end shops, a B&M discount is going to be tough to get, especially if it's a notable improvement over Samsung or Panasonic DLP.

There also was an article about the SIM2 DLP RPTV. $9995 or so for the 50", I believe. [name added, per later post]

I think either the Optoma or the $9995 has a six-segment color wheel (i.e., 2 blue, 2 red, 2 green), which should reduce rainbowing.

* * WHEN I SAY "READ," I mean I browsed through them at Borders Books -- so I might have some incorrect information. * *

FYI -- Ultimate Electronics is/was having a Holiday Sale, and listed the Samsung 50" DLP at something like $3400-$3500, I believe, on the placard by the TV.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
First of all, no HDCP. That was confirmed by the Optoma rep that has posted a lot here. Do some searches, or look in the Guests forum. Its been a few months, but they have sure been "around here" a lot more than Samsung, or anybody else recently.

Quote:
Originally posted by eweiss
DVI-HDCP (I believe it has HDCP), other types of inputs, and user gamma control -- making it a probable contender for the most feature-laden, user-tweakable DLP RPTV. The retail price for the 50" is $4995, which means it will likely cost you $1000 more for the same screen size as the Sammy DLP and Sony LCD, if you can get the same discount, and no announced roll-out date in the article, as I recall. I have never seen Optoma around here, nor did their Web site respond to my months-old request for a list of where/when it would be sold in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

·
Registered
856 Posts
The $9995 50" DLP better has lots more features than the Samsung (by the way, the Samsung uses 6-segment color wheel also). For that price, most people will go for a 50" plasma.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.