AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone checked out the new DLP tv's that are coming out. Any advice, info or comments on them. If your curious, check out www.bestbuy.com/tv and see what you think. I was waiting for the XBR910 but I think this might be worth checking into for me.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. I'm waiting for the XBR910 and the Samsung DLP has got my attention. Samsung claims 8000 hours of viewing before bulb replacement but I would guess the bulb starts wearing down before that and picture qualtiy would drop. I can't say this for sure but anyone who tells you different most likely would be guessing because using a new TV for 4000 hours already is a little out there.

But i would suggest that you wait and see the 910. I won't have HDTV for 5 more months and i hear horror stories about digital cable signal on the Samsung. I hear the XBR's handle weaker signals better. Plus eveyone who has seen this new XBR is talking it up.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
This is still an RPTV issue, but the bulbs are designed to basically burn out, not fail slowly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Best Buy website claims as much as 100,000 hours on the DLP bulbs. I was interested in the Panasonic 43 LCD until I learned it needed bulb replacement and it looks like the DLP 's are the same way.

I'm buying a tv this July and the 910 is on the top of the list but I need a tv that isn't to deep. The DLP's or plasmas would be a perfect fit but I'm worried about reliability issues, especially the plasma. I guess I'll stick to direct view until the price comes down on plasmas. Thanks for the info Wezz.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
The Best Buy website is wrong if it says that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I read it again and it says the tv will provide optimal performance for 100,000 hours. They avoid the bulb life issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.