AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You might want to check your DTC100's menu's for upgrades.

You're probably scheduled for a new upgrade... A05.10 should start coming down tomorrow. I think this is why DirecTV stopped sending the upgrades on Aug. 6th.

Good news!!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Just checked, scheduled for September 19 11:45pm!

------------------

Meredith (KPHO) SUCKs! Phoenix CBS station with no HD just SD.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Where does it say that version 5.10 is coming down. My DTC-100 only says "Wed 09/19/01 11:40 PM Scheduled for download"

Is this time EST or PST?

Kim

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Wow Wow Wow!

I have no idea what this will entail, but if previous Upgrades are any clue, I am excited.

Kidd Digital,

I took the liberty of adding more specific into to the topic title. Thanks for the hot tip.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
My says 12:40 MST here in New Mexico and wondering what kind of new software downloads will be use for?

9-19-01

"73's N5XZS"

May the force be with you and defend our country at all cost for our freedom that we live in!!!

------------------

"73's N5XZS"

From Timothy C. Johnson

Live Long and Prosper...

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Maybe this is the down-rez upgrade prior to the intro of DVI/HDCP.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kelliot:
Maybe this is the down-rez upgrade prior to the intro of DVI/HDCP.

Don't be so negative! That support already seems to be in place. Ever watch HBO 509 when a thunderstorm rolls in and starts to block the signal? As the signal gets marginal, I sometimes see the message that due to copyright provisions, the program is not available.

It might have something to do with combating piracy - perhaps making it impossible to use "programmed" cards in the unit.

Maybe it adds support for advance program guide. That would be cool. I guess we'll find out in about 3.5 hours!

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
My comments were a little bit tongue-in-cheek. My guess is that part of it is a security update that you won't notice with a legal card.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will try to find out exactly what sort of upgrades we're going to see, both visible, and behind the scenes. I'll report back tomorrow night with my findings.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kelliot:

My guess is that part of it is a security update that you won't notice with a legal card.
Previous DirecTV security ECM's were not delivered via Upgrades. They came separately and without warning.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
936 Posts
My memory is kinda foggy since the last upgrade, doesn't the dtc have to be on the directv input or something or it can get screwed up? Maybe I'm wrong but I thought I remembered reading that here.

------------------

-h pierce

Surely you can't be serious... I am serious and don't call me Shirley.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
186 Posts
ECM's specifically werent sent via upgrades in the past, but updates ala "Wink" style were sent to stop H Card use.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Mine HAS BEEN upgraded, and I absolutely NO idea what it did, or did NOT do. I have 2 STB - one has been upgraded - they ask if you want it now or later. I hit now, and my girlfriend hit Later, on the STB she was watching. I have yet to acertain what the differences are.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The only visible differences appear to the the channel logos. Some obvious ones have changed (like UPN and the WB), but others are still missing (like Sci-Fi).

Switching between 101 and 119 satellites is subjectively faster. Other than that, nothing else appears different...

·
Registered
133 Posts
I received mine at 02:40 as scheduled. I've been waiting for this one since my DTC-100 was still at 2.37. I was at CEDIA in Indianapolis a few weeks ago and asked a broadcast engineer at the DirecTV booth why they pulled the firmware download back on Aug 6th. He said that they had new firmware from RCA and the download schedule will resume within a month. I asked him what the new firmware will do. He said it's a minor change to correct an anomaly that is seen in some local broadcast markets when they upconvert from NTSC to hi-def but not exactly full width 16:9. Supposedly something related to not using one of the approved ATSC display rates or a deviation of. He didn't elaborate on what actually was seen.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.