AVS Forum banner

241 - 260 of 11867 Posts

·
Registered
11,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbanderic /forum/post/19084431

Yes, I do. Still not sure how easy the internal will be to install until I actually get it, don't necessarily feel comfortable opening up the unit. Thought the external would be better option, don't want to screw anthing up.

If I were going to go the external route, I might consider an eSATA dock, like the Thermaltake...and just swap drives in and out as needed.

CD

·
Registered
680 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner /forum/post/19084132

I think his point was just the opposite, and the same as yours: if you get a D1, and then follow the upgrade path to the new chip...it's not "worth" it, because the D1 won't have been optimized for the new processor.

CD

If you upgrade you would not be getting an D1, you would be getting a D2 which will be their latest player with the new chip. There would be no chance that the D1 would not be optimized for the new processor as the new chip would not be going inside the D1.

·
Registered
942 Posts
These days as TV's get larger and larger we sit further and further away. I'm thinking why buy the more expensive one with the LCD display? Not like you can see it clearly sitting 15 feet away, right? Are people buying the D1 just because of the LCD that you really can't read anyway? I can't remember the last time I needed to look at my Prime LCD. I guess I'm just needing a reason to buy the more expensive D1. If I eventually sell my Prime, the B1 looks to be my best bet...but I'm wondering the quality of the internal drive. If it's as good quality as my LG computer BD drive then I'll be happy. I can't wait for some hands on pictures (inside) and reviews.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCONKLIN1 /forum/post/0

Totally disagree with this point. HDI has shown that they care about their customers and wishes and I think expecting "cost" (however you define it) is very unrealistic. I want HDI to make money and stay in business and to continue to have great products, and have no problem with them making a profit.

Its amazing to me how many people bitched about wanting a Dune "lite" and then when they give you one, they simply move on to complain about something else.

Just my 2 cents...

Chris

I agree that HDI seems to care about its customers and I also like the notion of a Dune "lite", so to speak. I was just pointing out that these upgradeable schemes are for the most part marketing ways to reign in customers who would otherwise wait for a new generation of devices. This goes for media players, computers, etc... I am not complaining as I would never buy another player that did not have a proper gui out of the box. 7 or 8 or whatever the number is has made me realize that a player that can't come close to XBMC or the Apple TV ( from a gui perspective) isn't for me. But hardware wise these new players are certainly more appealing than their previous offerings.

The Boxee Box is the only player on the horizon that seems appealing. Not only does it have a proper gui, but it gets away from Realtek and Sigma which is a good thing. Of course you have to view this from the perspective of someone who doesn't care about HD-Audio or Blu-Ray playback.

Philip

·
Registered
2,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by APorter /forum/post/0

I'm pretty sure I read that the smart units would just be replaced with a new model (D1 for a D2), so I'm not sure how you can say they will not be optimized for the new design.

edit:

HDI Official message:

"For Dune HD Max users this upgrade will mean a change of the main board in the unit provided by a customer. For Dune HD Smart players in good conditions it will be just substituting H1/B1/D1 module to H2/B2/D2 one (on 8646 chip) respectively (no upgrading work needed). And of course such upgrade for any of the models will be significantly cheaper than buying a new player. " from MPCClub

Sounds like a leasing plan. So the upgrade consists of them buying back your old player and giving you a new one? Then obviously they will be optimized. I just don't see how people can make a purchasing decision based on such a lack of information. Why can't they provide pricing? Given this is an industry with a rather shady history when it comes to living up to goals, I would just be cautious. Then again, I am not a potential customer. I just find it a bit humorous how people have gone crazy over the current PopBox difficulties.

Philip

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd /forum/post/19085783

Sounds like a leasing plan. So the upgrade consists of them buying back your old player and giving you a new one? Then obviously they will be optimized. I just don't see how people can make a purchasing decision based on such a lack of information. Why can't they provide pricing? Given this is an industry with a rather shady history when it comes to living up to goals, I would just be cautious. Then again, I am not a potential customer. I just find it a bit humorous how people have gone crazy over the current PopBox difficulties.

Philip

Once again, they are giving the option, which sounds good enough since the new chips aren't even out yet. Would you prefer they guess on the price, and then piss people off if they find out they need to charge more??? Also, keep in mind that some people may not care about the new features of the newer chip. For example, gigE is useless for streaming and I don't maintain any sort of local storage, just my server. I am not sure why you are so hung up on this, shame on HDI for offering an upgrade path that is purely OPTIONAL

·
Registered
11,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by APorter /forum/post/19085375

If you upgrade you would not be getting an D1, you would be getting a D2 which will be their latest player with the new chip. There would be no chance that the D1 would not be optimized for the new processor as the new chip would not be going inside the D1.

OMG, how many more people are going to say the same thing. I was not the one who said it wouldn't be optimized!

CD

·
Registered
2,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/0

Once again, they are giving the option, which sounds good enough since the new chips aren't even out yet. Would you prefer they guess on the price, and then piss people off if they find out they need to charge more??? Also, keep in mind that some people may not care about the new features of the newer chip. For example, gigE is useless for streaming and I don't maintain any sort of local storage, just my server. I am not sure why you are so hung up on this, shame on HDI for offering an upgrade path that is purely OPTIONAL

I am not hung up on anything. Margins in this industry are small. Nothing is free. An extra option means something else costs more. I would have thought that people were tired of empty promises. I went through a generation of computer companies promising upgrade schemes, which in the end were not worth it.

I can't understand why you can't see that offering this "upgrade" scheme which is a buyback program for some of the models is not reflected in the price. The only reason it's there is because the new chips aren't ready. I agree that gigabit ethernet isn't required for streaming, but that hasn't stopped most of the newer sigma players as being marketed as gigabit ready.

For once it would be nice if a company would sell the product for what it is and not for what it will be. It's fine to have a general idea of where things might go. The better companies do this so people can see if it fits in with their plans, but you buy what is there now. XTreamer and PopBox owners should have learned that by now.

I would like to emphasize that I am not critical of these new players. You are missing my point.

Philip

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd /forum/post/19085841

I am not hung up on anything. Margins in this industry are small. Nothing is free. An extra option means something else costs more. I would have thought that people were tired of empty promises. I went through a generation of computer companies promising upgrade schemes, which in the end were not worth it.

I can't understand why you can't see that offering this "upgrade" scheme which is a buyback program for some of the models is not reflected in the price. The only reason it's there is because the new chips aren't ready. I agree that gigabit ethernet isn't required for streaming, but that hasn't stopped most of the newer sigma players as being marketed as gigabit ready.

For once it would be nice if a company would sell the product for what it is and not for what it will be. It's fine to have a general idea of where things might go. The better companies do this so people can see if it fits in with their plans, but you buy what is there now. XTreamer and PopBox owners should have learned that by now.

I would like to emphasize that I am not critical of these new players. You are missing my point.

Philip

This is where we disagree and why I feel like you are hung up on the replacement option, your statement implies that HDI is selling the Dune for what it will be.

Quote:
For once it would be nice if a company would sell the product for what it is and not for what it will be.

I would beg to differ, and state that the HDI is selling the new Dune models based purely on what it is, the reputation they have earned based on the current models, and the expectation that the new models will perform just the same and as reliable as the current models. Where exactly are they pumping up the new models based on what it will be

·
Registered
9 Posts
This new line-up would be announced between the time I order a BD Prime 3.0 and my actual receipt of same!
I'm resigned to obsolescence in all things technological, but I usually at least get to open the box and play with whatever it is for a couple of months first.

Any chance the Prime will get the 8646 upgrade too?

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonium /forum/post/19085990

This new line-up would be announced between the time I order a BD Prime 3.0 and my actual receipt of same!
I'm resigned to obsolescence in all things technological, but I usually at least get to open the box and play with whatever it is for a couple of months first.

Any chance the Prime will get the 8646 upgrade too?

Keep in mind the new line does not in any way replace the BD Prime (aside from the Smart series being cheaper). Regarding the new chip it is not clear exactly what the benefit will be, aside from gigE which may not even be important to you and possibly a slightly more powerful chip (who knows what that will bring, maybe just slightly faster navigation). The new chip isn't even due out until Q1 2011 at the earliest and we have no clue how long it could take to get the new chip to the same stable fw that the current chip is at. I know the feeling of just buying something only to find out a few days later the "newer" line comes out, but I don't think you should feel you just purchased an obsolete piece of equipment (after all if the Dune Prime does exactly what you are looking for then that is the most important thing)

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
I'm surprised duneplayer.com charged my credit card already for a D1. Seems appropriate they would do so upon shipment. I'm in for the D1, but still find this a bit odd.

·
Registered
680 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner /forum/post/19085810

OMG, how many more people are going to say the same thing. I was not the one who said it wouldn't be optimized!

CD

I was answering your reply to me, pointing out that it doesn't matter if the D1 is not optimized as you would be getting a D2. I know you didn't initially say it wouldn't be optimized. I'm not sure how his statement could be opposite and the same at the same time.

"I think his point was just the opposite, and the same as yours: if you get a D1, and then follow the upgrade path to the new chip...it's not "worth" it, because the D1 won't have been optimized for the new processor.

CD"

·
Registered
691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/19085882

I would beg to differ, and state that the HDI is selling the new Dune models based purely on what it is, the reputation they have earned based on the current models, and the expectation that the new models will perform just the same and as reliable as the current models.

Yeah, except one thing. The advertise current model (Prime) as a CD player. It cannot play Audio CDs properly.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemat /forum/post/19086405

Yeah, except one thing. The advertise current model (Prime) as a CD player. It cannot play Audio CDs properly.

We get it, it does not play gapless audio... Mike @ duneplayer has put in a request, and for now all you can do is consistently hound HDI to fix this and hope they are listening

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh /forum/post/0

I'm surprised duneplayer.com charged my credit card already for a D1. Seems appropriate they would do so upon shipment. I'm in for the D1, but still find this a bit odd.

Ditto. Unless they just did it as a credit check, and will not process the charge until they ship.

·
Registered
11,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet /forum/post/19086465

Ditto. Unless they just did it as a credit check, and will not process the charge until they ship.

Yeah, me too. I'm not too cool with this. If it were a matter of a few days, that's one thing; but don't we get the impression this thing is a month off?

CD

·
Registered
11,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by APorter /forum/post/19086301

I was answering your reply to me, pointing out that it doesn't matter if the D1 is not optimized as you would be getting a D2. I know you didn't initially say it wouldn't be optimized. I'm not sure how his statement could be opposite and the same at the same time.

"I think his point was just the opposite, and the same as yours: if you get a D1, and then follow the upgrade path to the new chip...it's not "worth" it, because the D1 won't have been optimized for the new processor.

CD"

I didn't see where you pointed out a D2 for D1 replacement in your first post about this. My bad.

CD

·
UHD Addict
37,821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/19086021

Keep in mind the new line does not in any way replace the BD Prime (aside from the Smart series being cheaper). Regarding the new chip it is not clear exactly what the benefit will be, aside from gigE which may not even be important to you and possibly a slightly more powerful chip (who knows what that will bring, maybe just slightly faster navigation). The new chip isn't even due out until Q1 2011 at the earliest and we have no clue how long it could take to get the new chip to the same stable fw that the current chip is at. I know the feeling of just buying something only to find out a few days later the "newer" line comes out, but I don't think you should feel you just purchased an obsolete piece of equipment (after all if the Dune Prime does exactly what you are looking for then that is the most important thing)

The new chip will have faster processor speed, faster DSP, and faster memory.

As well as an L2 cache. This should at the very least, equate to faster BD menu navigation. Which I would think would put it closer to par with the newer BD players which are much faster than their predecessors.

At least for someone like me, who does want to have full BD menu Navigation around 40% of the time, this extra speed would be nice.

I am going to wait until the new units come out and see if there is some info on price about an upgrade path. IF it is favorable, I might get a new unit in early fall. If not or I don't hear anything I will probably wait for info on the units with the 8646/47 chip next year.

I do keep flip flopping in making a decision though. For all I know in a month I could pack up all my Syabas products and go all in to the Dune side. I doubt it but you never know. If the PopBox team does something to really piss me off it could happen.

241 - 260 of 11867 Posts