AVS Forum banner

261 - 280 of 11867 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt /forum/post/19086566


The new chip will have faster processor speed, faster DSP, and faster memory.

As well as an L2 cache. This should at the very least, equate to faster BD menu navigation. Which I would think would put it closer to par with the newer BD players which are much faster than their predecessors.


At least for someone like me, who does want to have full BD menu Navigation around 40% of the time, this extra speed would be nice.


I am going to wait until the new units come out and see if there is some info on price about an upgrade path. IF it is favorable, I might get a new unit in early fall. If not or I don't hear anything I will probably wait for info on the units with the 8646/47 chip next year.


I do keep flip flopping in making a decision though. For all I know in a month I could pack up all my Syabas products and go all in to the Dune side. I doubt it but you never know. If the PopBox team does something to really piss me off it could happen.

This is the fisrt time i hear you saying something bad about (Syabas)Popbox.

I taught you said the popbx works really well



I bought the A200 and the Popbox and i wansn't going to sit there for them to tell the new beta is coming out and wait and wait .so i return both to AMAZON(is the best for return)

After(A200) a product been out for 6 month, i think the firmware should be stable.I didnt spend $400 to go website everyday to see if they a new firmware.


If Syabas is not carefull,they are going to lose a lot of their costomers to DUNE..

The game of media player has change now,so the other companys should step their game up.
 

·
UHD Addict
Joined
·
37,756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoney94 /forum/post/19086736


This is the fisrt time i hear you saying something bad about (Syabas)Popbox.

I taught you said the popbx works really well



I bought the A200 and the Popbox and i wansn't going to sit there for them to tell the new beta is coming out and wait and wait .so i return both to AMAZON(is the best for return)

After(A200) a product been out for 6 month, i think the firmware should be stable.I didnt spend $400 to go website everyday to see if they a new firmware.


If Syabas is not carefull,they are going to lose a lot of their costomers to DUNE..

The game of media player has change now,so the other companys should step their game up.

The PopBox does work well for me. I've been using them every day with my media. They are all working fine for me. I said "..If the PopBox team does something to really piss me off.." which they have not done yet. But lets say, in a month, they pull support for the PopBox and wash their hands of it, that would really piss me off to the point that I would wash my hands of any of their products. And would be getting at least two of the new Dunes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner /forum/post/19086490


Yeah, me too. I'm not too cool with this. If it were a matter of a few days, that's one thing; but don't we get the impression this thing is a month off?


CD

I think we should call them to find out,why they are charging our credit card already.

Its too early or maybe they might have in stock
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt /forum/post/19086778


The PopBox does work well for me. I've been using them every day with my media. They are all working fine for me. I said "..If the PopBox team does something to really piss me off.." which they have not done yet. But lets say, in a month, they pull support for the PopBox and wash their hands of it, that would really piss me off to the point that I would wash my hands of any of their products. And would be getting at least two of the new Dunes.

ok
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #265
I ordered a D1 with Paypal and they immediately charged me also. This is a violation of the Paypal merchant agreement. You can't charge a Paypal account for pre-order of a product not in stock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
If anyone wishes to wait until the new models are in stock, which is fully understandable, please contact us for a full refund.


Please keep in mind it's hard for us to guarantee the availability of the new models without preorder status. With the new model lines being just released, it's almost impossible to anticipate demand. We will do our very best to fill all orders, preorder or not, the minute the units are stateside.


Our shopping cart software does not distinguish between orders and preorders. We will bring this up to the website software developers Monday.



Arthur

www.DunePlayer.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,471 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurPower /forum/post/19087507


. . . Our shopping cart software does not distinguish between orders and preorders. We will bring this up to the website software developers Monday.

They shouldn't need to distinguish between orders and pre-orders. They should distinguish between fulfilled and not-fulfilled.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Really keeping my eye on this...I had a C200 delivered a little over a week ago. I really like the depth of the tweakability and community knowledge. But, it's got to work. If the upcoming firmware is a bust, it goes back, period.


Question for the group...say I wanted to have multiple H1 units each with their own internal drive. Are there any issues or catches being able to network them together, having all the content available across the network seamlessly available with a front end like zappitti?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,879 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurPower /forum/post/19087507


If anyone wishes to wait until the new models are in stock, which is fully understandable, please contact us for a full refund.


Please keep in mind it's hard for us to guarantee the availability of the new models without preorder status. With the new model lines being just released, it's almost impossible to anticipate demand. We will do our very best to fill all orders, preorder or not, the minute the units are stateside.


Our shopping cart software does not distinguish between orders and preorders. We will bring this up to the website software developers Monday.



Arthur

www.DunePlayer.com

Arthur, just so you know in some states it is actually illegal to charge a card for a product that will not be shipped within 30 days (if this is shipping in the next 30 days then count me as a happy man!). And as mentioned above it is also a violation of Paypal's ToS. I'm not going to cancel my order because I trust you guys to fulfill it, but you need to talk with your shopping cart guys about how to fix that. Would hate for you to get in trouble.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoney94 /forum/post/19086736


If Syabas is not carefull,they are going to lose a lot of their costomers to DUNE..

That's an understatement if I ever saw one.....that damage has already been done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet /forum/post/19087886


Arthur, just so you know in some states it is actually illegal to charge a card for a product that will not be shipped within 30 days (if this is shipping in the next 30 days then count me as a happy man!). And as mentioned above it is also a violation of Paypal's ToS. I'm not going to cancel my order because I trust you guys to fulfill it, but you need to talk with your shopping cart guys about how to fix that. Would hate for you to get in trouble.

Yeah Arthur, no offense...but this is like e-tailing 101.


CD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opentoe /forum/post/19085622


These days as TV's get larger and larger we sit further and further away. I'm thinking why buy the more expensive one with the LCD display? Not like you can see it clearly sitting 15 feet away, right? Are people buying the D1 just because of the LCD that you really can't read anyway? I can't remember the last time I needed to look at my Prime LCD.

Personally, I have had my components hidden (either behind a cabinet door, or in another room) for years now. Once you get over the notion that you have to be able to see your components to use them, it really opens up the options for setting up your living space.


Not to mention you don't need to worry about what your components look like (used a $20 htpc case in the past and now that low cost, fugly Dune is the one I'm interested in.)


At our house, we look at the screen and listen to the speakers, we don't really have a need to look at or listen to the components themselves.


-Suntan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,995 Posts
Ok guys, please forgive my ignorance in media players and file ripping/storing/playback and the like. I think this player does what i want but let me share what i'm looking to do


1. I'd like to 'rip?' all of my SD DVD's to a storage device with full menu content instead of having to go to the media racks, scan and choose a title and then pop a disk i the player....major pain in the a&$.


2. I'd like to be able to access all of the titles using an on-screen interface sorta juke box style showing cover art and title details. I'd like to be able to sort the library by genre as i've got a lot of titles (600+)


3. I'd like to be able to play back this content upscaled to 720p using a DLP projector.


4. I'd like to be able to connect the audio playback to my system using an optical connection and Video via HDMI


5. I'd like to be able to control the device from my seat using my Harmony900


6. I'd like to NOT have my PC on to do all of this


Can these new Dunes due what i need? I hope so as i'd like to NOT have to build an HTPC and deal with all of the buggy hardware/software issues. My concern is the cost vs the HTPC as i can build an HTPC with 1tb storage for $600 but i'd part with the same for a Dune and a 'RELIABLE' stoarge device. It doesn't have to be a network type in my case does it? Some clarification of the basics here would be most helpfull.


The original plan was to build the HTPC and use XBMC as the front end but...


Thanx for the help. I've read some posts mentioning a similiar 'front end' or GUI....Are there several to choose from or should i expect more open source apps to be made available in the future.


If this is a go, i'll get ou of this thread and start posts on the individual points mentioned above as they don't specifically apply to the thread topic. I am really excited about the possibility of an affordable, flexible, expandable HD Video Jukebox though!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 /forum/post/19088199


Ok guys, please forgive my ignorance in media players and file ripping/storing/playback and the like. I think this player does what i want but let me share what i'm looking to do


1. I'd like to 'rip?' all of my SD DVD's to a storage device with full menu content instead of having to go to the media racks, scan and choose a title and then pop a disk i the player....major pain in the a&$.


2. I'd like to be able to access all of the titles using an on-screen interface sorta juke box style showing cover art and title details. I'd like to be able to sort the library by genre as i've got a lot of titles (600+)


3. I'd like to be able to play back this content upscaled to 720p using a DLP projector.


4. I'd like to be able to connect the audio playback to my system using an optical connection and Video via HDMI


5. I'd like to be able to control the device from my seat using my Harmony900


6. I'd like to NOT have my PC on to do all of this


Can these new Dunes due what i need? I hope so as i'd like to NOT have to build an HTPC and deal with all of the buggy hardware/software issues.


The original plan was to build the HTPC and use XBMC as the front end but...


Thanx for the help. I've read some posts mentioning a similiar 'front end' or GUI....Are there several to choose from or should i expect more open source apps to be made available in the future.

You will need to have a PC on to do the ripping (i.e you cannot rip via the Dune). You will need to have a PC on to create the jukebox (such as Zappiti or MyMovies. When it comes time for playback/accessing the jukebox you WILL NOT need to have a PC on, you will just need to have whatever machine is serving up your media on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,486 Posts
I'm kind of glad I have agonized over the choice between a Dune Base or C200 now that these new Dune players have been announced. I can probably get by with the D1 and save some money although I kind of liked the full form factor of the Base.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 /forum/post/19088199


Ok guys, please forgive my ignorance in media players and file ripping/storing/playback and the like. I think this player does what i want but let me share what i'm looking to do


1. I'd like to 'rip?' all of my SD DVD's to a storage device with full menu content instead of having to go to the media racks, scan and choose a title and then pop a disk i the player....major pain in the a&$.


2. I'd like to be able to access all of the titles using an on-screen interface sorta juke box style showing cover art and title details. I'd like to be able to sort the library by genre as i've got a lot of titles (600+)


3. I'd like to be able to play back this content upscaled to 720p using a DLP projector.


4. I'd like to be able to connect the audio playback to my system using an optical connection and Video via HDMI


5. I'd like to be able to control the device from my seat using my Harmony900


6. I'd like to NOT have my PC on to do all of this


Can these new Dunes due what i need? I hope so as i'd like to NOT have to build an HTPC and deal with all of the buggy hardware/software issues. My concern is the cost vs the HTPC as i can build an HTPC with 1tb storage for $600 but i'd part with the same for a Dune and a 'RELIABLE' stoarge device. It doesn't have to be a network type in my case does it? Some clarification of the basics here would be most helpfull.


The original plan was to build the HTPC and use XBMC as the front end but...


Thanx for the help. I've read some posts mentioning a similiar 'front end' or GUI....Are there several to choose from or should i expect more open source apps to be made available in the future.


If this is a go, i'll get ou of this thread and start posts on the individual points mentioned above as they don't specifically apply to the thread topic. I am really excited about the possibility of an affordable, flexible, expandable HD Video Jukebox though!


Your requirements are rather modest. For the most part a WDTV Live ($100) will fulfill your requirements since you're only looking to do SD DVD. The only limitation is jukebox support. The factory firmware doesn't support a jukebox feature and the custom firmware has not been updated yet to support full dvd navigation (though I understand it will be updated).


My WDTV Live handles my DVD ISO's just fine at the moment but for the time being all I have is dvd cover art. I'm planning to move away from the WDTV live because I want full menu navigation for my blu-ray rips and the ability to output DTS-HD Master Audio, both of these features are not supported by the WDTV Live. However, in your case, if all you need is SD DVD support I would strongly consider the WDTV Live. Media Players are changing ever so rapidly so it's futile to try and future proof. If the WDTV Live can fulfill your needs for the next year you will then be able to get a New Dune with the updated Sigma chipset.


By the way, if you're only looking at about 600 DVDs you might be able to fit them on two 2 terrabyte drives which you can then attach locally to a WDTV Live thus totally eliminating the need for a PC.


Anyway, that's just my $.02
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,995 Posts
Thanx EVT.....very informative!



My BIGGEST problem with all of these devices is the lack of a classy, user friendly GUI and i'm willing to part with a few extra $$$ to get it. I've recently completed a dedicated home theater that gets a lot of use as of late from family and friends. I like the idea of a sharp on-screen remotely navigated GUI that guests can search,locate and playback something from my collection with little or no help from me.....



Now on the the on board SATA and external SATA capabilities of the Dune. Do i NEED a NAS device with processor power to 'run' a jukebox interface such as MyMovies or does the Dune come equipped with a jukebox front end already? The HP media servers seem like a simple, cost effective addition to the Dune as a total solution but if there's a simpler option i'm all ears.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 /forum/post/19088594


Thanx EVT.....very informative!



My BIGGEST problem with all of these devices is the lack of a classy, user friendly GUI and i'm willing to part with a few extra $$$ to get it. I've recently completed a dedicated home theater that gets a lot of use as of late from family and friends. I like the idea of a sharp on-screen remotely navigated GUI that guests can search,locate and playback something from my collection with little or no help from me.....



Now on the the on board SATA and external SATA capabilities of the Dune. Do i NEED a NAS device with processor power to 'run' a jukebox interface such as MyMovies or does the Dune come equipped with a jukebox front end already? The HP media servers seem like a simple, cost effective addition to the Dune as a total solution but if there's a simpler option i'm all ears.

The Dune does not come with a jukebox front end, it has a basic Windows Explorer-esque interface.


The HP Media Smart Servers are solid machines. I had the original EX470 which I eventually sold to build my own WHS machine (to date the person I sold the EX470 to still uses it daily to stream all is media). I also purchased for my dad and EX495 which has worked well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,995 Posts
Ok...so this sounds like a solid, cost effective solution to my problem...thanx!!


Damien, the MyMovies interface you linked to looks pretty sharp as does XBMC. I would imagine you can't run that on the Dune though can you? I would suspect that the remote codes for the Dune are or will be available for the Harmony remotes so i think i'm covered as far as UI control goes as well.


Now, since i'm only looking for 720p content and 5.1 DD/DTS sound will a hacked AppleTV running XBMC hooked up to a MediaSmart server do what i need as well?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 /forum/post/19088664


Ok...so this sounds like a solid, cost effective solution to my problem...thanx!!


Damien, the MyMovies interface you linked to looks pretty sharp as does XBMC. I would imagine you can't run that on the Dune though can you? I would suspect that the remote codes for the Dune are or will be available for the Harmony remotes so i think i'm covered as far as UI control goes as well.


Now, since i'm only looking for 720p content and 5.1 DD/DTS sound will a hacked AppleTV running XBMC hooked up to a MediaSmart server do what i need as well?

You can't run XBMC on the Dune. The Dune codes are in the Harmony Database (I have it set up with my Harmony remote). I just had to change around a few buttons, but works fine.


I have a hacked AppleTV (although I haven't turned on in a while). The MediaSmart server works fine for what you want, you would just simply access your media in XBMC over smb
 
261 - 280 of 11867 Posts
Top