AVS Forum banner

281 - 300 of 11867 Posts

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techaholic /forum/post/19088937

How does the Dune 3.0 prime stack up against these new models?

Performance wise there should be no difference if that is what you mean?

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh /forum/post/19089070

...but, I hope the stock UI is improved and less Windows 98 like.

I would assume the stock UI is the exact same as the current models. Any enhanced stock UI I would think would come across all models in a future fw update

·
Registered
4,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan /forum/post/19088182

Personally, I have had my components hidden (either behind a cabinet door, or in another room) for years now. Once you get over the notion that you have to be able to see your components to use them, it really opens up the options for setting up your living space.

Not to mention you don't need to worry about what your components look like (used a $20 htpc case in the past and now that low cost, fugly Dune is the one I'm interested in.)

At our house, we look at the screen and listen to the speakers, we don't really have a need to look at or listen to the components themselves.

-Suntan

All Dunes are beautiful.

·
Registered
13,250 Posts
Very little is ever written about the de-interlacing/up-conversion quality of these of players, but I suspect it is not at the level of a quality video processor -- my current media player certainly isn't. My needs are only for playback of my ripped DVD and BD collection (far and away, mostly DVD at this point) and I prefer to use other equipment to de-interlace and up-convert the DVD 480i video. I would be interested if the Dune players (current and these new ones) feature a native output mode for video so I don't have to manually set the output to 480i every time I play a DVD.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson /forum/post/19089449

Very little is ever written about the de-interlacing/up-conversion quality of these of players, but I suspect it is not at the level of a quality video processor -- my current media player certainly isn't. My needs are only for playback of my ripped DVD and BD collection (far and away, mostly DVD at this point) and I prefer to use other equipment to de-interlace and up-convert the DVD 480i video. I would be interested if the Dune players (current and these new ones) feature a native output mode for video so I don't have to manually set the output to 480i every time I play a DVD.

This has been discussed several times already. The Dune doesn't have pass thru mode for DVDs (480i).

The Upconversion is very good, better than the PS3 but not as good as Oppo or XA2. I have the Denon 5308CI with Realta Scaler and tested it against the Oppo in Direct mode/Oppo Scaling and it was pretty close to my eyes.

The Dune holds it own with regard to DVD PQ.

·
Registered
11,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr /forum/post/19089714

This has been discussed several times already. The Dune doesn't have pass thru mode for DVDs (480i).

The Upconversion is very good, better than the PS3 but not as good as Oppo or XA2. I have the Denon 5308CI with Realta Scaler and tested it against the Oppo in Direct mode/Oppo Scaling and it was pretty close to my eyes.

The Dune holds it own with regard to DVD PQ.

That's good to hear. I never thought the A-110 did a particularly good job of upconverting DVD rips.

CD

·
Registered
13,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr /forum/post/19089714

The Dune doesn't have pass thru mode for DVDs (480i).

Too bad.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson /forum/post/19089783

Too bad.

This used to be an issue for me as well, However, with almost all of my favs on BD now it is not as important as it once was. I purchased the Denon because of its scaler. I hardly use it(The Realta Scaler portion that is)) now due to the fact almost all content that I watch is 1080P native. I do de-interlace my HD Tivos with the Denon and it does a great job. As time goes on it will less of an issue as more catalogue titles become available on BD. I only have about 24 or so titles to go. ( Star Wars, Jurassic Park, ETC) and then my collection is complete. I only buy BD now as new movies are released.

·
Registered
691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/19086439

We get it, it does not play gapless audio... Mike @ duneplayer has put in a request, and for now all you can do is consistently hound HDI to fix this and hope they are listening

No, you don't get it. There is no such thing as non-gapless Audio CD playback. I understand you are probably a kid that grew up with mp3s and couldn't care less about Audio CDs, but accept it.

HDI advertises Audio CD support and that's misleading advertising if not outright lie. I am just stating a fact.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemat /forum/post/19090764

No, you don't get it. There is no such thing as non-gapless Audio CD playback. I understand you are probably a kid that grew up with mp3s and couldn't care less about Audio CDs, but accept it.

HDI advertises Audio CD support and that's misleading advertising if not outright lie. I am just stating a fact.

Lol, thanks for trying to make me feel young....but ummm there was no such thing as an mp3 when I was a kid and all my music I own are audio cds, I have never purchased an mp3... But like i said, thanks for trying to make me feel young....

My point was simply on this and the other Dune thread you point out the gapless audio issue, no problem with that at all. Mike from Duneplayer acknowledges that it has been mentioned to HDI and will be mentioned again. So all is good, and you should keep hounding HDI, but you don't need to keep responding to every comment on these threads with "Gapless audio is broken"

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #293
I agreed Gapless is broken, we all know it, it's not an issue to the vast majority of users in the market for one of these players. No need to pop into threads and bring it up over and over again.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 /forum/post/19091128

I agreed Gapless is broken, we all know it, it's not an issue to the vast majority of users in the market for one of these players. No need to pop into threads and bring it up over and over again.

WOW! What a difference a couple of weeks and cheaper models make! ... So much Dune Love here
... I guess my love for Dune has spread to the far reaches of the AVS Kingdom. I guess I'll have to find another player to promote... My input is no longer needed.

·
Registered
7,336 Posts
Hey guys, I don't know if any of you have noticed, but when you play one of those optical music disc coaster things it pauses for a second or two between songs. I don't know what it's called, and I don't know if any of you have noticed it, but it skips for a second or two.

I think I'm just going to go back to playing MP3s...

-Suntan

·
Banned
2,244 Posts
the dune prime plays cd's? Wow, you learn something new every day. If I had not ripped every single thing I own to hard drives, I might actually care...

Where is my Dune MAX???!!!

I want it now! (even though I know it won't be any different than my base...

Chris

·
Registered
942 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techaholic /forum/post/19088937

How does the Dune 3.0 prime stack up against these new models?

If you hide the player you most likely wouldn't know the difference between any of them. All sharing the same chipset and firmware.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/19089137

I would assume the stock UI is the exact same as the current models. Any enhanced stock UI I would think would come across all models in a future fw update

Where have we heard that before. There are no MKV media players with a decent GUI out of the box. The PopBox was supposed to be one and the Boxee Box might deliver one but I really doubt that 99% of the public wants to deal with setting up and maintaining a jukebox. That presumably is why they are willing to pay more for anyone who will. Apart from Boxee I can only see MS and/or Apple doing that. Apple of course will push a streaming version with almost no local playback. As for MS, I don't know what is wrong with them. They have the pieces but they seem to be in some kind of trance.

Hmm... just noticed a new firmware for the C200. Maybe they are getting their act together...

Whoops, forgot. A.C. Ryan seems to be trying to do something about the interface situation. The rest, and that includes HDI, are delivering BMW's with wooden chairs.

philip

·
Registered
289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidmetal /forum/post/19081333

Looks cool, but not for $400 bucks!!!!

Did some searching and Ceton only works with windows 7, so it doesn't seem like we will see a all in one DVR/media player (unless you build a custom htpc).

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd /forum/post/19092600

Where have we heard that before. There are no MKV media players with a decent GUI out of the box. The PopBox was supposed to be one and the Boxee Box might deliver one but I really doubt that 99% of the public wants to deal with setting up and maintaining a jukebox. That presumably is why they are willing to pay more for anyone who will. Apart from Boxee I can only see MS and/or Apple doing that. Apple of course will push a streaming version with almost no local playback. As for MS, I don't know what is wrong with them. They have the pieces but they seem to be in some kind of trance.

Hmm... just noticed a new firmware for the C200. Maybe they are getting their act together...

Whoops, forgot. A.C. Ryan seems to be trying to do something about the interface situation. The rest, and that includes HDI, are delivering BMW's with wooden chairs.

philip

Wow, you got all that from my one comment

281 - 300 of 11867 Posts