AVS Forum banner

301 - 320 of 11867 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCONKLIN1 /forum/post/19092153

the dune prime plays cd's?

Well, not really. You put the disk in and funny things happen.

Not everybody rips everything. My wife, for some reason, likes to pop in a borrowed CD now and then. I don't rip borrowed CDs.

And since I made the bad decision to rip all my CDs to lossless WMA, I can't listen to them on the Dune, since the Dune won't play lossless WMA. And if it plays streamed music like it plays stuff from the optical drive, I wouldn't want to listen to it -chopping off the last part of a song, then pausing a couple of seconds before starting the next one is not a very good listening experience, especially with live albums.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyW /forum/post/19093269

Not everybody rips everything. My wife, for some reason, likes to pop in a borrowed CD now and then. I don't rip borrowed CDs.

And since I made the bad decision to rip all my CDs to lossless WMA, I can't listen to them on the Dune, since the Dune won't play lossless WMA. And if it plays streamed music like it plays stuff from the optical drive, I wouldn't want to listen to it -chopping off the last part of a song, then pausing a couple of seconds before starting the next one is not a very good listening experience, especially with live albums.

Do you know if a feature request has been put in to support lossless WMA?

·
Registered
7,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ7 /forum/post/19092896

Did some searching and Ceton only works with windows 7, so it doesn't seem like we will see a all in one DVR/media player (unless you build a custom htpc).

Going a little OT, but just throwing it out there, if a person wants a full setup with DVR, a Sage HD Theater extender with Sage Server running on a PC has a lot to offer.

As for setting up a custom HTPC, if you run the extenders, the PC requirements are small. I run extenders at each TV and then have Sage Server (and 4 USB tuners) running on my regular PC in the basement. You wouldn't even know sage is running on the basement computer as it just runs in the background as a service.

The main limitations are, no cablecard support (cable/sat can be DVRed using HD PVR's) no DTS decode to 2 ch analog (for people connecting directly to TVs) and no support of HD audio (hopefully an updated extender is right around the corner that will address this.) They do support full DVD menus and light BR menus.

Worth a look as Sage is a very good DVR system with integrated support for DVD/BR playback and a skinnable extender (when the PC is running.)

-Suntan

·
UHD Addict
37,812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyW /forum/post/19093269

Does it play lossy WMA? When I ripped all my CDs I ripped them to Lossless WMA and to 128kbs or 192kbs lossy WMA(I wish I had ripped them all to 192kbs WMA lossy)

Either way the last thing I wanted to use was MP3. Back in my ATRAC days in the 90's with minidisc I had tried MP3s and back then they never lived up to ATRAC. So when I tried the WMA format it sounded better than MP3s at the same bitrate so I stuck with the WMA format when I dropped MiniDisc.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #305
I just sent the message below to HDI and am hoping others can follow suit. It is not even available to be voted on currently;

Quote:
Please add (at least to the voting) the ability for .PGS or .SRT subtitle files that are marked with the 'force' subtitle flag to be played automatically from an MKV container.

Currently even if a subtitle file is marked 'forced' the user must manually select it for display. If properly implemented, when a subtitle track is marked 'forced' it would display automatically, even if subtitles were disabled on the player or subtitles were disabled in a specific title.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan /forum/post/19093282

Going a little OT, but just throwing it out there, if a person wants a full setup with DVR, a Sage HD Theater extender with Sage Server running on a PC has a lot to offer.

As for setting up a custom HTPC, if you run the extenders, the PC requirements are small. I run extenders at each TV and then have Sage Server (and 4 USB tuners) running on my regular PC in the basement. You wouldn't even know sage is running on the basement computer as it just runs in the background as a service.

The main limitations are, no cablecard support (cable/sat can be DVRed using HD PVR's) no DTS decode to 2 ch analog (for people connecting directly to TVs) and no support of HD audio (hopefully an updated extender is right around the corner that will address this.) They do support full DVD menus and light BR menus.

Worth a look as Sage is a very good DVR system with integrated support for DVD/BR playback and a skinnable extender (when the PC is running.)

-Suntan

I don't think too many people would argue that a properly configured HTPC can do 'more' than any set top box can currently do. The problem is that the overwhelming majority of those in the media streamer box market don't want to spend the time or money to get an HTPC solution working.

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
If a Sage HD300 comes out w/HD audio support, I'll definitely consider it. But, this would be a topic for a separate discussion.

·
Registered
7,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 /forum/post/19093927

I don't think too many people would argue that a properly configured HTPC can do 'more' than any set top box can currently do. The problem is that the overwhelming majority of those in the media streamer box market don't want to spend the time or money to get an HTPC solution working.

That's the point, if you run one of the Sage extenders on your network, there is relatively little effort involved in getting the PC server up and running. Similar to getting MyMovies set up to update DVD covers.

Install the tuners, load the server software, run the auto configuration on the PC, power on the extender.

-Suntan

·
Registered
7,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh /forum/post/19094090

But, this would be a topic for a separate discussion.

Fair enough. Please return to the normal random banter that always occurs in the doldrums between product announcement and product availability. I believe the talk was centered around the technical minutia of gapless CD playback and the legality of charging credit cards...

-Suntan

·
Registered
691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/19090888

Lol, thanks for trying to make me feel young....but ummm there was no such thing as an mp3 when I was a kid and all my music I own are audio cds, I have never purchased an mp3... But like i said, thanks for trying to make me feel young....

My point was simply on this and the other Dune thread you point out the gapless audio issue, no problem with that at all. Mike from Duneplayer acknowledges that it has been mentioned to HDI and will be mentioned again. So all is good, and you should keep hounding HDI, but you don't need to keep responding to every comment on these threads with "Gapless audio is broken"

Ok, ond last time, maybe it will get across. My comment was in reference to what you said that HDI delivers what they say they do. Here it is again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/19085882

I would beg to differ, and state that the HDI is selling the new Dune models based purely on what it is, the reputation they have earned based on the current models, and the expectation that the new models will perform just the same and as reliable as the current models.

That's not true given the Audio CD issue. They better fix it pronto or change the specification, because Dune is NOT Audio CD player, despite being advertised as one.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemat /forum/post/19094970

Ok, ond last time, maybe it will get across. My comment was in reference to what you said that HDI delivers what they say they do. Here it is again:

That's not true given the Audio CD issue. They better fix it pronto or change the specification, because Dune is NOT Audio CD player, despite being advertised as one.

And once again, you have made your point perfectly clear, I am not debating that. You have stated it several times on this thread and the other Dune thread, Mike @ duneplayer has acknowledged. Just seems like at this point it makes no sense to sound like a broken record when you got your point across already. Anyways, I am just some punk kid downloading mp3s at every chance I get

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Hey Damian, thanx for all the help as i think the Dune and a Mediasmart server along with my Harmony remote and MyMovies will give me the slick GUI jukebox feel i'm looking for. Now currently i stream music via iTunes on my XP PC to an Airport and control it with an iTouch and wish to keep it this way so i don't have to turn on a display to select/brouse my collection. The downfall is if my PC is sleeping, i have to either wake it up or turn it on to listen to music. Will the server also eliminate that issue allowing my PC to sleep or off. I would obviously have to transfer my collection to the server HDD but do i install iTunes on the server as well?

Also if you don't mind, whch 3rd party GUI are YOU most partial to and please remember i have little to no technical PC ability.

·
Registered
10,400 Posts
Searched the entire thread. Saw that Vudu was not mentioned at all, and Netflix was mentioned only as something Dune is considering for the future.

Any updates about either environment being part of their roadmap? These would put me into the "purchase now" (actually, get on waitlist by pre-order now) camp...

·
UHD Addict
37,812 Posts
The Dune players having VUDU would be even more surprising than Netflix.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 /forum/post/19095326

Hey Damian, thanx for all the help as i think the Dune and a Mediasmart server along with my Harmony remote and MyMovies will give me the slick GUI jukebox feel i'm looking for. Now currently i stream music via iTunes on my XP PC to an Airport and control it with an iTouch and wish to keep it this way so i don't have to turn on a display to select/brouse my collection. The downfall is if my PC is sleeping, i have to either wake it up or turn it on to listen to music. Will the server also eliminate that issue allowing my PC to sleep or off. I would obviously have to transfer my collection to the server HDD but do i install iTunes on the server as well?

Also if you don't mind, whch 3rd party GUI are YOU most partial to and please remember i have little to no technical PC ability.

The big key if to make sure your movies are named properly. If you use MyMovies (but I recommend otherwise), make sure that each one of your movies is in its own folder. Make sure the folder is named exactly as the movie. So for example, I have a central Shared Videos Folder. Under that folder I have an individual folder for each movie, with each folder being the exact name of the folder. If you are unsure the exact name then check out either IMDB or themoviedb.org.

·
Registered
123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/19093279

Do you know if a feature request has been put in to support lossless WMA?

From Duneplayer.com - the list of supported feaures of Dune BD Prime 3.0 BluRay Player:

Audio codecs: AC3 (Dolby Digital), DTS, MPEG, AAC, LPCM, WMA, WMAPro, EAC3 (Dolby Digital Plus), Dolby True HD, DTS HD High Resolution Audio, DTS HD Master Audio, FLAC, multichannel FLAC

Audio file formats: MP3, MPA, M4A, WMA, FLAC, WAV, DTS-WAV, DTS, AC3, AAC

Short answer is no. Didn't know you had to put in a feature request for something it was already supposed to do.

·
Registered
123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt /forum/post/19093327

Does it play lossy WMA? When I ripped all my CDs I ripped them to Lossless WMA and to 128kbs or 192kbs lossy WMA(I wish I had ripped them all to 192kbs WMA lossy)

Either way the last thing I wanted to use was MP3. Back in my ATRAC days in the 90's with minidisc I had tried MP3s and back then they never lived up to ATRAC. So when I tried the WMA format it sounded better than MP3s at the same bitrate so I stuck with the WMA format when I dropped MiniDisc.

Same here. I didn't like MP3 for serious listening either. I thought it would be OK for playback on my cell phone, but not for my main system. Don't know if the Dune can play lossy WMA, though. Spec sheet says yes, but we know where that goes... Luckily, my Onkyo 906 can, but I don't like the interface. Looks like the only way to get my music to play on the Dune will be to install TVersity on the Media Smart 495 and transcode the WMA files to WAV on the fly. If I can...

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyW /forum/post/19095937

From Duneplayer.com - the list of supported feaures of Dune BD Prime 3.0 BluRay Player:

Audio codecs: AC3 (Dolby Digital), DTS, MPEG, AAC, LPCM, WMA, WMAPro, EAC3 (Dolby Digital Plus), Dolby True HD, DTS HD High Resolution Audio, DTS HD Master Audio, FLAC, multichannel FLAC

Audio file formats: MP3, MPA, M4A, WMA, FLAC, WAV, DTS-WAV, DTS, AC3, AAC

Short answer is no. Didn't know you had to put in a feature request for something it was already supposed to do.

OK, so the next question is has this been submitted as a bug?

FYI - not trying to be difficult, I know I have been guilty of coming across a bug but instead of submitting it I just gripe about it on the forum where it goes nowhere and never gets fixed.

·
Registered
123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/19096019

OK, so the next question is has this been submitted as a bug?

FYI - not trying to be difficult, I know I have been guilty of coming across a bug but instead of submitting it I just gripe about it on the forum where it goes nowhere and never gets fixed.

yup - over at mpcclub in the Bugs and Wishes thread:

W-COD-009 - Add support WMA lossless audio files.

Looks like it's been there for a while...

301 - 320 of 11867 Posts