AVS Forum banner

4701 - 4720 of 11867 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony A. /forum/post/20616886

What are the breakout cables? Are they like sata y cables to fit 2 drives per slot?

The breakout cables are needed if you buy a SAS/SATA disk controller that has SFF 8087 connector(s). Most of these controllers do not come with the breakout cables but some do. The breakout cable converts each 8087 port to four SATA cables. I used these: SAS to SATA breakout cable . The Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 would require two breakout cables as it has two 8087 ports for a total of eight SATA cables.

Drew

·
Registered
100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason /forum/post/20584105

While watching blurays with my Dune D1(with HD MA Audio), my receivers led scrolls the audio as bieng "DTS" while watching DTS HD MA and "Dolby Digital" while watching Dolby TrueHD. Am I still getting the HD Audio or is something getting lost here? I have the Dune set to bitstream audio and letting the receiver handle everything. Connection is HDMI.

Figured id ask here before submitting it to Panasonic.

The reciever isnt a true "receiver" its a panasonic SC-BTT770 Full 3D home Theater Surround Sound System. The sound is great, just want to make sure I am really getting the HD audio. When I play a BR DVD in the Panny, it does scroll DTS HD MA, so shouldnt it when I am streaming via the Dune as well and not just DTS?

I had this issue on my Yamaha 3900 when it was new (before I had a Dune). I had turned on a setting in the Yamaha under HDMI, Audio Output to output the audio to both "Amp + TV". Since the TV cannot decode HD audio, it would decode the lesser of the two output devices. I changed the option to "Amp" which fixed my problem. This issue can also occur if you enable BD-Video Secondary Audio. When BD-Video Secondary Audio is set to On, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD Master Audio and DTS-HD High Resolution Audio are output as Dolby Digital or DTS Digital Surround. I can't remember if the Dune has this option.

Drew

·
Registered
3,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew.c /forum/post/20617324

I had this issue on my Yamaha 3900 when it was new (before I had a Dune). I had turned on a setting in the Yamaha under HDMI, Audio Output to output the audio to both "Amp + TV". Since the TV cannot decode HD audio, it would decode the lesser of the two output devices. I changed the option to "Amp" which fixed my problem. This issue can also occur if you enable BD-Video Secondary Audio. When “BD-Video Secondary Audio” is set to “On”, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD Master Audio and DTS-HD High Resolution Audio are output as Dolby Digital or DTS Digital Surround. I can't remember if the Dune has this option.

Drew

Thank you for the reply. I dont have any option for the first suggestion you described. I do have the BD Video Secondary Audio, which I have always had set to OFF. After doing some research and help from someone on another forum, it seems that Panasonic receivers cant decode HD Audio from external sources. I have decided to sell this(Panny SC-BTT770) and get a new Denon 2112 AVR with a Klipsch F-30 system, I am actually pretty excited to hook all this up with my Dune D1 and Panny VT30!

Thanks again for your suggestions!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I just ordered Hdi D1 and waiting for its arrival and my intention is to install an HARDDRive inside it. But i reading in lot of forums, that lot of people having issues that hdd is not showing up after some months use? Is it true? Do it need to buy 3.5 hd enclosure preferably with esata ?

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by solaris72 /forum/post/0

I just ordered Hdi D1 and waiting for its arrival and my intention is to install an HARDDRive inside it. But i reading in lot of forums, that lot of people having issues that hdd is not showing up after some months use? Is it true? Do it need to buy 3.5 hd enclosure preferably with esata ?

Some of the early D1's had trouble with the Sata power connector failing prematurely. Presumably this has been fixed in the latest ones.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I ordered it this week from http://store.duneplayer.com/shop/

Will that mean im getting the latest batch of D1? Will installing HDD inside have any advantage over using through esata?

Not sure how we will copy data over from my PC? Is it through network? will it be faster through wired?

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by solaris72 /forum/post/0

I ordered it this week from http://store.duneplayer.com/shop/

Will that mean im getting the latest batch of D1? Will installing HDD inside have any advantage over using through esata?

Not sure how we will copy data over from my PC? Is it through network? will it be faster through wired?

Duneplayer.com will definitely have the latest. But don't hesitate to call them and discuss this particular issue; those guys are Dune experts.

I don't think internal Sata has any advantage over eSata beyond the obvious aesthetic and wiring ugliness.

You can copy data from the PC over the network, just like file sharing with any other PC. It would be faster, though more hassle, to use an external drive (USB or eSata) and plug that directly into the PC for file transfers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone have experience with a wifi usb stick, get him active. The d-link dwa-160n dual stick will be supported by the latest firmware but had not see a light bulb? Network name and password entered, but can not find network? Should I activate it first on PC or somewhere else?

I have already WRT160NL Linksys wifi-n only put on mixed but does not improve

·
Registered
100 Posts
I agree, eSATA is just as fast as internat SATA and I would definately go wired. Before I moved my movies to an unRAID server, I was using in internal drive in my Dune MAX with a Seagate Green 2TB 5900 rpm drive. It has the "hot swap" hard drive bay (same as SMART H1) that easily allows you to insert and remove the hard drive without taking the unit apart. It seemed slow to me copying DVD and Blu-ray ISO's across the network because the Dune only has a 100Mb network card (not Gig). My transfer rates from my Windows 7 PC wired gig card to the 100Mb wired Dune were as follows:

PC to Dune internal Seagate Green HD using Windows Explorer - ~ 7MB/sec

PC to Dune internal Seagate Green HD using Filezilla FTP - ~ 11.3MB/sec

If I removed the Dune hard drive and inserted it into an eSATA 2 3Gb Dock attached to my Windows 7 PC (aka Sneaker Net) - ~ 90 to 110MB/sec

I formatted the drive in my Windows 7 PC as NTFS using the largest block size of 64kb. The Dune can read/write to NTFS.

Drew

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Have any of you guys tried any of the user based skins on mpcclub?

I am ecstatic with my current skin along with yadis, its blended in an entire theme, the template is amazing, it looks like it was done by a professional company with a large budget.

But it was done by some users over at mpcclub.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
After the Sage debacle of last week I am coming back to Dune. It just plain works. I could wish it supported 3d but I will live

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet /forum/post/0

After the Sage debacle of last week I am coming back to Dune. It just plain works. I could wish it supported 3d but I will live

Link? You've got me curious...

·
Registered
234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet /forum/post/20620383

I wouldn't call a successful acquisition a debacle.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet /forum/post/20620383

The Dune will support side-by-side or over-under 3D, just not frame-packed. I am keeping 2 .iso files for each of my 3D blu-rays until a frame-packed streamer comes out... the original full and the converted side-by-side. Storage is cheap

·
Scott Horton, techht.com
5,743 Posts
Also curious. I sold my HD300, decided it wasn't ready for prime time. What happened?

FYI, I tried the HD300 and SageTV server with Sage MyMovies plugin first, didn't like it. Built a HTPC with MyMovies on it, had a lot of navigation issues with it, not happy with it either. So, got a Dune D1 to give a shot. Liked the Dune's stability overall, but missed the flexibility of configuring MyMovies interface details on the HTPC. A friend helped me with the HTPC, turned out 90% of my issues were from using a remote that came with the case I bought. Some other issues due to a TMT5 bug which is already being addressed by Arcsoft. At my friends advise, I switched to a regular USB remote and poof, HTPC worked just fine for first time. Still had some small issues, and cost 4+ times as much as the Dune, but overall I liked the integration and flexibility with MyMovies. So I'm going to stick with the HTPC for now. Therefore, My Dune D1 is for sale if someone wants a deal on one, PM me. Almost new, perfect, plastic never peeled from the front cover etc. (sorry mods, please excuse the plug, figured I'd help someone out here).

·
Registered
234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray /forum/post/20620432

Also curious. I sold my HD300, decided it wasn't ready for prime time. What happened?

FYI, I tried the HD300 and SageTV server with Sage MyMovies plugin first, didn't like it. Built a HTPC with MyMovies on it, had a lot of navigation issues with it, not happy with it either. So, got a Dune D1 to give a shot. Liked the Dune's stability overall, but missed the flexibility of configuring MyMovies interface details on the HTPC. A friend helped me with the HTPC, turned out 90% of my issues were from using a remote that came with the case I bought. Some other issues due to a TMT5 bug which is already being addressed by Arcsoft. At my friends advise, I switched to a regular USB remote and poof, HTPC worked just fine for first time. Still had some small issues, and cost 4+ times as much as the Dune, but overall I liked the integration and flexibility with MyMovies. So I'm going to stick with the HTPC for now. Therefore, My Dune D1 is for sale if someone wants a deal on one, PM me. Almost new, perfect, plastic never peeled from the front cover etc. (sorry mods, please excuse the plug, figured I'd help someone out here).

SageTV was bought by google.

Found this out just when I wanted to try SageTV server.

·
Scott Horton, techht.com
5,743 Posts

Quote:
Found this out just when I wanted to try SageTV server

You arent' missign anything IMO. I liked the Dune is MUCH MUCH better than the Sage HD300 with the Sage server. That thing was a PITA for me. Can't count how many hours I spent jerking around with it trying to get it to work right. Has a loyal following, I didn't see why.

·
Registered
234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray /forum/post/20620544

You arent' missign anything IMO. I liked the Dune is MUCH MUCH better than the Sage HD300 with the Sage server. That thing was a PITA for me. Can't count how many hours I spent jerking around with it trying to get it to work right. Has a loyal following, I didn't see why.

Yes, but they've got source direct output.
That's what's stopping me from using the Smart D1 without looking back.

·
Scott Horton, techht.com
5,743 Posts
It's a myth. They do not. Its the reason I trid it in the first place. And, I'll get up and use Discs before I'd ever wrestle their software again. Even if SD worked.

·
Registered
234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray /forum/post/20620567

It's a myth. They do not. Its the reason I trid it in the first place. And, I'll get up and use Discs before I'd ever wrestle their software again. Even if SD worked.

Oh, but they do.

At least in media player mode, as they call it when the HD300 isn't connected to a SageTV server.

My video processor displays 576i, 1080p24, or 1080p60 in the input.

Ok, it doesn't output 4:2:0, but...

4701 - 4720 of 11867 Posts