AVS Forum banner

4741 - 4760 of 11867 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi Guys,

I recently calibrated my JVC RS50. My Oppo BDP-93 looks awesome, Verizon DVR looks OK (did not expect much) and Dune looks better than the DVR but far from the Oppo.

I am running the latest beta and was wondering what are the best settings to get the best possible color accuracy. Has anyone calibrated their Dune and share their settings?

I have the B1 with pretty much default values.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony A.
thanks for the help drew. i really can't find seem to find any 6 or 8 port cards other than supermicro that fit the budget. im thinking of just getting the lsi 9211-8i card you referenced. the only thing i wanted to know is if the card will work with my mobo. specifically, the card is pci ex8, but my mobo has 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4 (labelled PCIEX4 on the mobo). will this fit/work no problem?
Won't work. A x8 card needs a x8 bus and your Mb has a x4 bus with a x16 slot.

The card would physically fit, but it would not work.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Quote:
thanks for this info. i was all set to get the supermicro card, then started reading some threads that it does not play well with wd ears/eads "green" drives. apparently, drives are dropped all the time and only a boot up solves this. there are many users stating this is the case so im not ready to take a chance. i looked at the lsi 9211 card you mentioned but see that its about $250 new locally and supports sata 3 -6gbps (which my data drives are not). so im stuck searching for a 6 or 8 port card that plays well with the wd green drives and doesn't break the bank. any other suggestions?
It must be a WHS specific problem and not a general Supermicro problem. I (and dozens of others) use this Supermicro card with EARS and EADS drives in unRAID and there are no dropouts. Unlikely that it is a problem with the physical design of the card if it works perfectly on one OS, and has issues with dropouts on another.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Just got my D-1 today and it wont read my external ntfs hard drive.Do I have to reformat to ext fat or fat32 for the Dune to pick it up.Also have trouble with shared folders not showing up on network.

Thanks for any help.

OPPS, guess it would help if I plugged the drive in, its reading it fine now.I,ll be back with some more dumb questions later.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1812
I just wanted to thank you for this post, even if it's about 4 months too late for me. I built a new WHS with 20 drives and 3 of the SASLP-MV8's and am having the dreaded "drive dropout" issue - so much that I still don't have it in production. I've posted everywhere about this problem and thought I'd done a good search - until I saw your post above, and a NEW search turned up the threads you mention. Now I've got some reading to do, and likely some new hardware to acquire.
That is odd. I have 1 SASLP-MV8 and one SAT2-MV8 and the only time I ever have an issue with a drive dropping out is only every once in a while if I reboot my WHS. You have drives drop out while in use?

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
It must be a WHS issue cause I have a total of 5 SAT2-MV8 cards running on Windows 7 (two different boxes) and I have never had any issues with drives dropping or any issues at all.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy
It must be a WHS issue cause I have a total of 5 SAT2-MV8 cards running on Windows 7 (two different boxes) and I have never had any issues with drives dropping or any issues at all.
Are you also using the wd ears/eads drives and win 7 x64?

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Quote:
Are you also using the wd ears/eads drives and win 7 x64?
I have every single combination of drives you can think of....running a total of 66 drives...but I am running W7 32-bit.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026
That is odd. I have 1 SASLP-MV8 and one SAT2-MV8 and the only time I ever have an issue with a drive dropping out is only every once in a while if I reboot my WHS. You have drives drop out while in use?
Not while in use. What I've been able to narrow it down to is when an unexpected reboot occurs (such as a power outage/surge - I don't yet have it on a UPS - i know, I know), it tends to lose drives upon rebooting - randomly. Sometimes it's this drive, others it's that drive. And if I boot up and one disk is missing, if I reboot, then it comes back up with another disk missing--this has been the proverbial ghost in the machine! And it screws up the Disk Management add-in (I think). For example, the storage console tab will tell me that drive "xyz" is missing, so I "remove" it from the pool. When I flip over to the Disk Management add-in tab, it shows a DIFFERENT drive removed/missing, and if I try to physically remove the one I "removed" from the pool via the storage management tab, it is usually the wrong one and it causes a system crash (because that one was in use). And Disk Management is correctly labeled, because I have the serial #'s written on a case map, so I can match the drives with the DM map It has driven me nuts trying to identify whether this is a drive issue, card issue, or what. Right now, out of 12 drives physically installed, there are 11 working (1 "removed" from the pool). I still haven't been able to figure out which one physical drive (that was "removed) that I need to physically pull (to test and reinstall)!!!!! With the long holiday weekend coming up, I'm going to give it one more go at a fix before wiping WHS and trying Win7 as a solution (since this is more a mega video server and I will still have my trusty MSS WHS in place for normal WHS stuff).

But I have a question - so what do you do when you reboot and you have a drive dropped out? Remove from the pool and reinstall? Or reboot again? As I said above, rebooting only seems to worsen the problem for me.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1812 /forum/post/20629598

Not while in use. What I've been able to narrow it down to is when an unexpected reboot occurs (such as a power outage/surge - I don't yet have it on a UPS - i know, I know), it tends to lose drives upon rebooting - randomly. Sometimes it's this drive, others it's that drive. And if I boot up and one disk is missing, if I reboot, then it comes back up with another disk missing--this has been the proverbial ghost in the machine! And it screws up the Disk Management add-in (I think). For example, the storage console tab will tell me that drive "xyz" is missing, so I "remove" it from the pool. When I flip over to the Disk Management add-in tab, it shows a DIFFERENT drive removed/missing, and if I try to physically remove the one I "removed" from the pool via the storage management tab, it is usually the wrong one and it causes a system crash (because that one was in use). And Disk Management is correctly labeled, because I have the serial #'s written on a case map, so I can match the drives with the DM map It has driven me nuts trying to identify whether this is a drive issue, card issue, or what. Right now, out of 12 drives physically installed, there are 11 working (1 "removed" from the pool). I still haven't been able to figure out which one physical drive (that was "removed) that I need to physically pull (to test and reinstall)!!!!! With the long holiday weekend coming up, I'm going to give it one more go at a fix before wiping WHS and trying Win7 as a solution (since this is more a mega video server and I will still have my trusty MSS WHS in place for normal WHS stuff).

But I have a question - so what do you do when you reboot and you have a drive dropped out? Remove from the pool and reinstall? Or reboot again? As I said above, rebooting only seems to worsen the problem for me.

All I do is pull the drive out and push it back it (all my drives are in hot swap cages so it is easy to do), always gets recognized right away once I do this. No need to do any removing from the WHS console (which is not ideal anyhow).

·
Registered
5,086 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by isisyodin /forum/post/20629034

Hi Guys,

I recently calibrated my JVC RS50. My Oppo BDP-93 looks awesome, Verizon DVR looks OK (did not expect much) and Dune looks better than the DVR but far from the Oppo.

I am running the latest beta and was wondering what are the best settings to get the best possible color accuracy. Has anyone calibrated their Dune and share their settings?

I have the B1 with pretty much default values.

I have no idea about a b1. My prime looked exactly the same as my oppo 93.

Cheaper units might have additional issues.

You need to enable 1080/24 so it does not touch the picture, the oppo does nothing to the picture at 1080/24, and nor will the dune, so it should look the same, you also should enable ycbcr, and BT.709, just look at video settings, leaving at it default is probably part of the problem. Unless your using different quality sources Ie. non full bitrate blurays for the dune.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Forgive me but what is PCIe X4?

And there are 8 ports on those cards? I thought it looks like 2?

I thought I seen some of these on monoprice and they were like 30 dollars?

I dont run raid is that why these are so expensive?

I basically was just looking at some for when i run out of sata ports on my mobo.

·
Registered
278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo /forum/post/20630125

I have no idea about a b1. My prime looked exactly the same as my oppo 93.

Cheaper units might have additional issues.

You need to enable 1080/24 so it does not touch the picture, the oppo does nothing to the picture at 1080/24, and nor will the dune, so it should look the same, you also should enable ycbcr, and BT.709, just look at video settings, leaving at it default is probably part of the problem. Unless your using different quality sources Ie. non full bitrate blurays for the dune.

Thanks for the tips. I will do a side by side comparison with these settings.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Just curious, to run a dune as a stand-alone streamer off a networked NAS and still run a music and movie jukeboxes am I right that you can somehow download those onto a usb stick and run it in the unit? Is this a fairly simple thing for a computer neophyte to do?

Any relevant pros & cons?

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrgagne /forum/post/20632223

Just curious, to run a dune as a stand-alone streamer off a networked NAS and still run a music and movie jukeboxes am I right that you can somehow download those onto a usb stick and run it in the unit? Is this a fairly simple thing for a computer neophyte to do?

Any relevant pros & cons?

Correct, The actual jukebox you would set up on your PC and then just export the jukebox to a USB stick which your Dune can then access. You can also export the jukebox to your networked NAS and access the jukebox that way. Either way there is no need for your PC to be on to actually use the jukebox, you will only need your PC to set up the jukebox and update

·
Registered
819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo /forum/post/20631409

If you guys want check out this amazing yadis skin someone made. I wish some of these programmers would be hired by dune.

http://www.mpcclub.com/forum/showpos...&postcount=166

What was it Yadis originally wans't doing well? Was it TV Series? Did they ever get that to work right?

·
Registered
6,660 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/20632251

Correct, The actual jukebox you would set up on your PC and then just export the jukebox to a USB stick which your Dune can then access. You can also export the jukebox to your networked NAS and access the jukebox that way. Either way there is no need for your PC to be on to actually use the jukebox, you will only need your PC to set up the jukebox and update

How hard is it to install onto the NAS? I asume if one did this you could run multiple Dunes without having to install the usb jukeboxes in them...

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrgagne /forum/post/20633762

How hard is it to install onto the NAS? I asume if one did this you could run multiple Dunes without having to install the usb jukeboxes in them...

You don't install anything on a NAS. You simply create a "jukebox" folder on your NAS where your PC will export the jukebox to. Then all your Dunes can access the same jukebox on your NAS. This is how I do it with my setup. My Zappiti jukebox gets exported to a shared folder on my WHS which both of my Dunes then access

4741 - 4760 of 11867 Posts