AVS Forum banner

4841 - 4860 of 11868 Posts

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Don't programs like DVDFab remove Cinavia protection during the ripping process?

·
Registered
133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcthedj /forum/post/20653819

Ever since whatever beta firmware added the new skins, my home screen shortcuts were moved to favorites. I wish I could move them back!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/20654364

I have the new fw installed on my D1 and BD Prime and so far zero issues from my usual playback

I got about 3-4 audio dropouts per movie bitstreaming over HDMI to my receiver with the new firmware, so I switched back to the previous beta. I don't know if the new firmware actually causes the dropouts, but as far as I can tell there are no noticeable improvements either, so I don't mind switching back.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrgagne /forum/post/20656254

Don't programs like DVDFab remove Cinavia protection during the ripping process?

No, DVDFab employs a sort of hack that I believe adds files to your rip to trick the PS3. I don't believe there has been any tool that actually removes Cinavia, and some have speculated that trying to do so would actually damage the audio track.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouchardino /forum/post/20656255

I got about 3-4 audio dropouts per movie bitstreaming over HDMI to my receiver with the new firmware, so I switched back to the previous beta. I don't know if the new firmware actually causes the dropouts, but as far as I can tell there are no noticeable improvements either, so I don't mind switching back.

Interesting, I will definitely be on the look out. I haven't noticed anything yet but I haven't watch a full movie yet with the new firmware (mostly recorded/archived tv shows)

·
Registered
133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcthedj /forum/post/20653819

Ever since whatever beta firmware added the new skins, my home screen shortcuts were moved to favorites. I wish I could move them back!

You can reproduce the home screen look of the old firmware with the new firmware.

To start with try:

Setup -> appearance

Main screen style -> plain

Main screen view -> icons 4x2

·
Registered
371 Posts
I see no need for Dune to implement Cinavia into the firmware for units without an actual BD drive. I have no interest whatsoever in playing BD on my Smart D1. I have a perfectly good Oppo next to it.

The Dune plays my HD-DVD rips and BD rips of my Blu-Rays that are top heavy and slow to load (T2, Pixar films, Inception).

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcos
I see no need for Dune to implement Cinavia into the firmware for units without an actual BD drive. ....
They (Dune) may not have a choice- the Smart series units without built-in BD Drives are upgradable to use BD Drives via factory expansion modules. In order to play back protected factory BD's the players FW must be BDA compliant. So even if your Smart series didn't come from the factory with a BD Rom- it's firmware is ready for it and therefore is subject to the terms of the BDA license.

As mentioned by Kilroy "HDi players like the 53D will be popular... it cannot accept an external (or internal) BD player." For the 53D unit- there would be no pressure from the BDA to force Cinavia into it's FW.

Granted- for people who already own Dune Smart series players, there's no reason to lose sleep over it, you have the choice to decline updates. But for prospective new customers- it's something to consider...

Maybe it's a stretch it imagine that Dune would work Cinavia into the firmware of units already in the field, but it's been done by other manufactures in the past. Sony covertly irreversibly updated their Playstation FW with Cinavia protection almost a year before Cinavia was even on any factory BD. ReplayTV disabled Commercial Advance on some 5500 series units that were already in use by customers via FW update to avoid lawsuits. So it has been done in the past...

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcos
I see no need for Dune to implement Cinavia into the firmware for units without an actual BD drive. I have no interest whatsoever in playing BD on my Smart D1. I have a perfectly good Oppo next to it.

The Dune plays my HD-DVD rips and BD rips of my Blu-Rays that are top heavy and slow to load (T2, Pixar films, Inception).
I dunno, but it seems to me that the ability to play files ripped from blu-rays would be at least as much (if not more) of a target by the MPAA as the ability to play ripped disks. The goal of Cinavia, understandably, is to kill ripping.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax
I dunno, but it seems to me that the ability to play files ripped from blu-rays would be at least as much (if not more) of a target by the MPAA as the ability to play ripped disks. The goal of Cinavia, understandably, is to kill ripping.
True, but Cinavia is aimed at Blu-ray players that require a BDA license. As of now all other "non BDA" players do not fall under this and I would be highly skeptical if the MPAA would have any legs to stand on in this regard. Also, many of the media player companies are not the same as the likes of Sony or even Netgear and won't fall under the same pressure as the big guys.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Agreed, Damina. But I wonder if the ability to play BRD ISO's and BRD structures depends upon copyrighted/patented code so that a media player sold in the US would require a BDA?

I feel that current owners are safe, but who knows in the future? My belief is that one day Slysoft will break Cinavia and all this nonsense will stop.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi

As a newbie to AV Forum and a Mac user, can any body advise? If I format the internal HDD with Mac OS Extended (not Journaled) will it be compatible with Dune HD Smart D! or would it be best to format the drive FAT 32.

In other words is the Dune range compatible with Mac HDD formats?

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax /forum/post/20659779

Agreed, Damina. But I wonder if the ability to play BRD ISO's and BRD structures depends upon copyrighted/patented code so that a media player sold in the US would require a BDA?

I feel that current owners are safe, but who knows in the future? My belief is that one day Slysoft will break Cinavia and all this nonsense will stop.

My understanding a BDA license is required for playback of commercial discs. For playback otherwise no copyright/patented code is needed. Don't forget though, the only way to play back BR Rips on players without a BDA license is if the movie encryption has been removed, which is what we are all doing with AnyDVD or DVDFab. So the rules that apply for the BDA License don't apply when playing back unencrypted Blu-rays (in the same fashion that you can create your own BluRay structure from home movies).

I personally wouldn't worry about Cinavia as long as you understand that the dream of having the BR Player/Media Player all in one may be killed off, at least in the fashion that we are accustomed to.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezfing /forum/post/20659819

Hi

As a newbie to AV Forum and a Mac user, can any body advise? If I format the internal HDD with Mac OS Extended (not Journaled) will it be compatible with Dune HD Smart D! or would it be best to format the drive FAT 32.

In other words is the Dune range compatible with Mac HDD formats?

I've no idea about Mac HDD formats, but formatting it as FAT32 seems to be a mistake. Doesn't FAT32 limit file sizes to 4 GB?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Hyrax

Yes formatting the internal HDD on the Dune Smart D1 to FAT32 has its limitations of 4GB.

I Just wondered if any one new if Dune is compatible with Mac OS Extended Format.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezfing /forum/post/20660945

Thanks Hyrax

Yes formatting the internal HDD on the Dune Smart D1 to FAT32 has its limitations of 4GB.

I Just wondered if any one new if Dune is compatible with Mac OS Extended Format.

I'm sure it's not compatible. It is conceivable that the Linux hfsplus driver could be ported to the Dune, but even that driver has serious limitations (see Wikipedia ).

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts

Quote:

Thanks Hyrax

Keep in mind you can always just leave the drive connected to the Dune, format it as ext2, and access it across the network using SMB or FTP. But copying files would be much slower than directly attaching the drive using USB.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts

Quote:

Thanks Hyrax

Also to clarify: if you plan to leave the drive in your Mac then it will be fine; the Dune can access it across the network using SMB or NFS. It's only if you plan on directly connecting this disk to the Dune (using USB or eSata or internal Sata) that it will be incompatible with Mac OS Extended Format.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Could anyone tell me if zapitti or another program can scrap tv info for blu ray folder structure?

It really annoys me and such an oversite yadis for some reason cant scrape blu-ray folder structure for tv shows.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi,

is it possible to connect a sata blu ray external drive (not the Dune Blu ray extension) to the HD Smart H1?

thx and regards

gerd

4841 - 4860 of 11868 Posts