AVS Forum banner

4861 - 4880 of 11868 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Thanks for the info on my problem of getting Dune HD Smart D1 with an internal HDD to be compatible Mac OS X (Which system to format the drive with). As an alternative would a Windows emulator such as Parallels for Mac solve the problem? The Drive could remain formatted NTFS.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezfing /forum/post/20664723

Hi Thanks for the info on my problem of getting Dune HD Smart D1 with an internal HDD to be compatible Mac OS X (Which system to format the drive with). As an alternative would a Windows emulator such as Parallels for Mac solve the problem? The Drive could remain formatted NTFS.

That's a good idea. You don't even need to go that far. Paragon NTFS will let you access NTFS drives from Mac. No need to run Parallels.

Edit: also Tuxera

·
Registered
819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob /forum/post/20659100

They (Dune) may not have a choice- the Smart series units without built-in BD Drives are upgradable to use BD Drives via factory expansion modules. In order to play back protected factory BD's the players FW must be BDA compliant. So even if your Smart series didn't come from the factory with a BD Rom- it's firmware is ready for it and therefore is subject to the terms of the BDA license.

As mentioned by Kilroy "HDi players like the 53D will be popular... it cannot accept an external (or internal) BD player." For the 53D unit- there would be no pressure from the BDA to force Cinavia into it's FW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/20660009

I personally wouldn't worry about Cinavia as long as you understand that the dream of having the BR Player/Media Player all in one may be killed off, at least in the fashion that we are accustomed to.

The 53D uses the same chip the WDTV and other less expensive players use. I went to the Dune because my WDTV could not handle a BD rip until I converted to H264 with Handbrake and got it below 10 GB. (not to mention versatility, more stable, jukeboxes etc..)

So what do we loose if Dune just dropped the BD license, other than the ability to play an original BD disc in a built in player? Is it just needed for the full menu structure in an ISO?

I'd be happy just being able to create a main title ISO with Clown BD as long as it will still play. It usually drops 1/3 of the file size and plays faster too. How often do you need special features. Is there anything really important we lose with the license? It would be nice if they do make HDI implement, for them to give you the ability to choose to drop the licesnce on the better players to keep cinevia out of the picture.

·
Registered
819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/20656256

No, DVDFab employs a sort of hack that I believe adds files to your rip to trick the PS3. I don't believe there has been any tool that actually removes Cinavia, and some have speculated that trying to do so would actually damage the audio track.

I've heard of this hack. Is it mimicking the copy protection in the ripped file? Couldn't this be a solution for all players? If the player "thinks" it's copy protected media, it shouldn't shut off the audio.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo /forum/post/20663032

Could anyone tell me if zapitti or another program can scrap tv info for blu ray folder structure?

It really annoys me and such an oversite yadis for some reason cant scrape blu-ray folder structure for tv shows.

I use Movienizer for myself and it creates a catalog for movie series nicely. I'd recommend to try it.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TODDAVS /forum/post/20667755

The 53D uses the same chip the WDTV and other less expensive players use. I went to the Dune because my WDTV could not handle a BD rip until I converted to H264 with Handbrake and got it below 10 GB. (not to mention versatility, more stable, jukeboxes etc..)

So what do we loose if Dune just dropped the BD license, other than the ability to play an original BD disc in a built in player? Is it just needed for the full menu structure in an ISO?

I'd be happy just being able to create a main title ISO with Clown BD as long as it will still play. It usually drops 1/3 of the file size and plays faster too. How often do you need special features. Is there anything really important we lose with the license? It would be nice if they do make HDI implement, for them to give you the ability to choose to drop the licesnce on the better players to keep cinevia out of the picture.

I believe the BDA license is needed for a player to actually accept a Blu-ray ROM drive, sp playback of physical discs. I don't see it affecting anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TODDAVS /forum/post/20667762

I've heard of this hack. Is it mimicking the copy protection in the ripped file? Couldn't this be a solution for all players? If the player "thinks" it's copy protected media, it shouldn't shut off the audio.

I would guess assuming the all players handle Cinavia in the same fashion. I wonder if this would only work with Blu-ray folder rips (i.e. if you have an mkv or other format would there be a similar hack?)

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
Dune may have several options available as far as Cinavia inclusion.

Legally, I have no clue as to what the contracts with the BDA requires or allows them to do but they may be able to:

1) On old/current players that include a built-in factory issued BD ROM- offer a new FW update to include Cinavia protection. There's no way to force customers to update to the new FW but Dune has shown good faith by offering the update. That may be good enough to satisfy any agreements they've made with the BDA regarding existing models with BDA license. Of course if you don't update to the new FW you'll never get any bug fixes or new features on your existing unit, but you still bypass Cinavia.

2) On Dune players that have BD ROM expansion option (Smart Series)- offer a update that includes Cinavia protection, bug fixes, new features and keeps full commercial BD playback capabilities.

3) On Dune players that have BD ROM expansion (Smart Series)- offer an alternate update that has no Cinavia protection, does include bug fixes and new features, but does not allow commercial BD playback capabilities.

It will be interesting to see what Dune does in the near future regarding Cinavia. Personally I don't think Cinavia will be enabled on any current Dune players except possibly those with included factory BD ROM.

Besides the PS3 has any other media player manufacturer forced Cinavia into their product via FW update?

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob /forum/post/20669078

Dune may have several options available as far as Cinavia inclusion.

Legally, I have no clue as to what the contracts with the BDA requires or allows them to do but they may be able to:

1) On old/current players that include a built-in factory issued BD ROM- offer a new FW update to include Cinavia protection. There's no way to force customers to update to the new FW but Dune has shown good faith by offering the update. That may be good enough to satisfy any agreements they've made with the BDA regarding existing models with BDA license. Of course if you don't update to the new FW you'll never get any bug fixes or new features on your existing unit, but you still bypass Cinavia.

2) On Dune players that have BD ROM expansion option (Smart Series)- offer a update that includes Cinavia protection, bug fixes, new features and keeps full commercial BD playback capabilities.

3) On Dune players that have BD ROM expansion (Smart Series)- offer an alternate update that has no Cinavia protection, does include bug fixes and new features, but does not allow commercial BD playback capabilities.

It will be interesting to see what Dune does in the near future regarding Cinavia. Personally I don't think Cinavia will be enabled on any current Dune players except possibly those with included factory BD ROM.

Besides the PS3 has any other media player manufacturer forced Cinavia into their product via FW update?

I also know that the Cinavia requirement applies to players after a certain date (I think at some point in mid 2010). Now the question, if Dune already had the BDA License for the Smart's before then, they could possibly be exempt. The Prime/Base would obviously be prior to this.

I would hope that if these 3 options were the choices available that #3 would be the best choice. I don't know how easily they can branch off the firmware to allow for this, but if a Blu-ray ROM drive is a requirement then you shouldn't penalize consumers who got a device without any intention of ever hooking up a Drive

·
Registered
6,795 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/20669096

I would hope that if these 3 options were the choices available that #3 would be the best choice.

+1

I just ordered the Smart D1 this week. Was ready to pull the trigger on the B1 (which includes factory BD ROM drive) but I'm very concerned about Cinavia inclusion on it's FW somewhere down the line because of it's factory BD ROM drive. Figure the D1 is less likely to be on the Cinavia inclusion hit list. Too bad, the B1 was really the ideal solution for me but at $320 I'm just not willing to take a chance on it being crippled with Cinavia.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026
I would guess assuming the all players handle Cinavia in the same fashion. I wonder if this would only work with Blu-ray folder rips (i.e. if you have an mkv or other format would there be a similar hack?)
From what I've been reading, the protection is analog. IE it's audible (not sure if it's audible to the human ear) not just a digital signature. So if you go to a theater and record a movie with a video camera thta has Cinevia encoded, if you play it back on a cinevia protected device, it will not work.

Therefore the protection would carry through no matter what format you put it in. There also seems to be growing concern that it will not be able to be removed without damaging the audio, which makes sense if it is part of the analog track.

If it is ever defeated i'm betting it is in some form of digital trick that overcomes the protection in the player, rather than actually removing the watermark. Like what has been done with the PS3.

So far I think there are only 4 or 5 players including the PS3 that use Cinevia, but I woudl be it grows quickly. Since the current hack by DVD Fab only works on the PS3, my guess it there is something different about the way it handles the protection or they would have advertised something.

·
Registered
727 Posts
hi

just spotted this machine and interested in converting from a htpc

i already checked out the 'prime' and was told the pq was not up to the pc

is the new chip/max model much better than the prime and now able to compete withe the pc?

thanks

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacemaker
hi

is the new chip/max model much better than the prime and now able to compete withe the pc?

thanks
Dunno who told ya that... All the Dunes have PQ/AQ as good or superior to a HTPC. Even with the 5xxx video cards I would get banding on some BDs while the Dunes had absolutely no banding.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacemaker
hi

thanks
You got some bad info there brother...

The current offerings from Dune (except the lite 53D) use the newest Sigma Designs 8642/8643 media processor. The PQ is as good as any BD player out there and probably equal or superior to just about any HTPC you could build or buy.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TODDAVS
From what I've been reading, the protection is analog. IE it's audible (not sure if it's audible to the human ear) not just a digital signature. So if you go to a theater and record a movie with a video camera thta has Cinevia encoded, if you play it back on a cinevia protected device, it will not work.

Therefore the protection would carry through no matter what format you put it in. There also seems to be growing concern that it will not be able to be removed without damaging the audio, which makes sense if it is part of the analog track.

If it is ever defeated i'm betting it is in some form of digital trick that overcomes the protection in the player, rather than actually removing the watermark. Like what has been done with the PS3.

So far I think there are only 4 or 5 players including the PS3 that use Cinevia, but I woudl be it grows quickly. Since the current hack by DVD Fab only works on the PS3, my guess it there is something different about the way it handles the protection or they would have advertised something.
Correct, cinavia is embedded in the audio track. WHat I meant is I wonder if the hack that DVDFab uses for BluRay folder rips and the PS3 would somehow also work for other containers such as mkv.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy
Dunno who told ya that... All the Dunes have PQ/AQ as good or superior to a HTPC. Even with the 5xxx video cards I would get banding on some BDs while the Dunes had absolutely no banding.
On SD content or where you need to get a lot of post processing done an HTPC may yield better requirements, However, keep in mind this will be hardware specific and may require a lot of tweaking on the part of the user for a difference you may or may not see.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026
On SD content or where you need to get a lot of post processing done an HTPC may yield better requirements, However, keep in mind this will be hardware specific and may require a lot of tweaking on the part of the user for a difference you may or may not see.
What's this "SD" you talk about?!?!

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy
What's this "SD" you talk about?!?!
Yeah I know, blasphemy, especially for a PQ whore like yourself

·
Registered
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ
That's a good idea. You don't even need to go that far. Paragon NTFS will let you access NTFS drives from Mac. No need to run Parallels.

Edit: also Tuxera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezfing
Thanks again ScottJ Did not think of that.
I agree with Scott's suggestion [NTFS driver vs Windows emulator]. The Tuxera product, although $10 more, is surely far superior to Paragon's. Beware of leaning toward the "familiar" name.

Comapre the respective customer bases; Paragon sells to BestBuy, etc. -- Tuxera sells to high-tech corporate and professionals. In fact, HDI/Dune licenses Tuxera's NTFS (for Linux) and that is what you are running in your Dune.

--Uh Clem

·
Registered
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob
You got some bad info there brother...

The current offerings from Dune (except the lite 53D) use the newest Sigma Designs 8642/8643 media processor. The PQ is as good as any BD player out there and probably equal or superior to just about any HTPC you could build or buy.
i asked on the 'prime' thread before realising it had beed replaced and got this answer

'You should see similar results with 1080p BD content, but the video processing capability (deinterlacing, scaling, noise reduction, etc) of the current gen of Sigma SOC in the Dune (and other players like the HD300) isn't nearly as good as what you can get from a HTPC.'

4861 - 4880 of 11868 Posts