AVS Forum banner

4901 - 4920 of 11867 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Not sure its been asked or answered before,

can my Dune d1 setup on the network, can it act as a media server like the WD TV LIVE HUB can so you can connect to it and play the movies its internal hard drive from another location ?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,086 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax /forum/post/20673856

I've been looking for a new Blu-Ray player and came across this interesting article:
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/techn...roduction.html

Those who are interested should read the whole article, but the following sums it up:

They continue to show that the Oppo 93 does a nearly perfect job of handling the color space conversion, and show that other Blu-Ray players do not. I'm wondering if this (color space handling errors) could be the reason that some think the Oppo video output looks better than the Dune's.

I already discussed this and that article already a couple pages back. First of all they tested 3 brands, 2 oppo, 2 sony, 2 pioneer (I think they are actually made by sharp)

The sony they recommended for awhile as an awesome player, one of the reviewers even owned one himself, only until they did these tests looking at numbers did they realize it was doing something odd, so that should tell you how difficult it is to see a difference, and why i question people that do.

Second of all the pioneers they tested with that method aced the hdmi colorspace test outputting 4:4:4 like the dune, i believe many also use the oppo to output 4:4;4. In the case of dune we have no idea if its handling the ycbcr correctly or not, because they never tested the dune, you can still achieve perfect results for there test outputting 4:4:4 if its done correctly just look at the two pioneer reviews, one of them is a cheap player and it showed perfect results at 4:4:4.

And again they were recommending the sony 570 for quite awhile, until they ran those tests and looked at the numbers, so that should tell you how difficult it is to see a difference.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TODDAVS /forum/post/20678313

It works for DVD's and video files of about any type. I couldn't tell you how many deep it remenbers, but it seems to be a lot.

BD images and folder rips arent workng yet, but imagine it will be fixed in an update eventually.

Good to know. I will test with DVDs and will wait for upgrade on remembering Stop position on BD.

·
Registered
819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukumar /forum/post/0

Good to know. I will test with DVDs and will wait for upgrade on remembering Stop position on BD.

There is a setting that turns this on and off.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo /forum/post/20678493

I already discussed this and that article already a couple pages back. First of all they tested 3 brands, 2 oppo, 2 sony, 2 pioneer (I think they are actually made by sharp)

Sorry, I thought I'd read all the posts related to this topic, but obviously missed yours. My reason for posting was that I'm still trying to find a reason why someone would see better blu-ray playback on an Oppo than on the Dune. I find this stuff interesting.

I don't have an Oppo, and all I can say is that my PS3 and Dune seem identical to me. But then my projector requires input of a RGB color space, so they could both be making a mistake for all I know.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukumar /forum/post/20678277

Is there anyway I can make Dune player remember the stop position on the blu-ray movie?

I thought this was a Java feature that had to be enabled by individual movies. At least that is what I thought the Blu-Ray player manufactures claim as the reason they don't always support it.

And, yes, the Dune does remember where you stopped on multiple videos. As far as I can tell it remembers where you've stopped on every video you've ever played.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Is anyone else having trouble with BD ISO streaming? I'm have audio dropout issues on almost any blu-ray I try to watch. I had to revert back to older firmware because the audio issues were so bad. They aren't as bad now on the older firmware but it seems any high bit rate blu-ray will have audio drop out issues. Video plays fine across the board.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyneric /forum/post/20679889

Is anyone else having trouble with BD ISO streaming? I'm have audio dropout issues on almost any blu-ray I try to watch. I had to revert back to older firmware because the audio issues were so bad. They aren't as bad now on the older firmware but it seems any high bit rate blu-ray will have audio drop out issues. Video plays fine across the board.

I have yet to have an audio dropout on a Blu-ray (I am currently running the latest firmware). I have actually never had audio dropouts on Blu-rays with the Dunes (had audio dropouts a while back with DVDs but that was a known problem)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hmm. I wonder if it's an issue with my setup then. I have a 64bit win 7 PC (also used as office computer) streaming the media through a DIR-655 router. I've tried tweaking the Dune HD Max settings but I get best results with fast SMB access and gigabit ethernet enabled. I wonder if it's a limitation with either the computer or router bottlenecking the data transfer at some point. Any ideas?

I plan on building an unraid server soon and using a switch between the server and Dune but until then I'm stuck with my PC and router.

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
Are you hardwired or wireless?

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
I'm not getting any audio dropouts either. I am using ReadyNAS as my server, but I assume unRaid should work just fine.

I don't see how they would apply to video playback, but would enabling jumbo frames help with high bit rate files? I recently noticed it was taking a very long time to copy files to my ReadyNAS from Windows 7, until I enabled jumbo frames for the network adapter. The strange thing was that I had been getting great speed earlier, so I wonder if a Windows Update reset my frame size.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
As a new Dune D1 owner I wanted to comment on the D1 after using it for a few days...

Packaging- Very professional, includes HDMI cable, and batts for remote. Only quick setup guide in printed form- guess that's the norm these days. But for a one of the more expensive media players on the market, they could have spent a few additional pennies for a full printed user manual.

Remote- Just OK, no backlighting

I use a Harmony One, so the OEM remote will be living in my remote draw after initial fine tuning with the Harmony One.

AV- Connection to TV was easy via HDMI- worked perfectly right out of the box. No adjustments necessary from factory default settings.

Network- I use cat5/6 hardwired static IP for all my devices, easy enough to setup on the D1 using the Dune remote.

File Sharing- D1 found my (Samba) NAS immediately, but didn't see any folders or files. So I had to read the (online only) full user manual and add the NAS IP address and create a profile for it. After that, all the folders on my NAS showed up. Strange that you're required to add servers I address? I have half a dozen media players and all simply let you browse the network for full access to your NAS folders.

Playback- As close to perfect as I can ask for.

Tried BD ISO's, BD rip AVI.s, h.264 Xvids, MKV, mp4, mepg2, .ts, DVD.ISO's, etc... with a mix of every audio codec you could imagine. Everything played back over the wired network without issue and with excellent color rendition.

Web browser- Works, but without a keyboard I didn't have the patience to try other than the homepage.

All in all a very high quality product, see no reason not to recommend it to anyone who's looking for a simple reliable network streamer that plays most anything you throw at it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a problem with Dune HD Max that I bought last week

The problem is the player doesn’t recognize any optical disk. It opens and closes the tray, but when the disk is inside, the player doesn’t start to spin it, there are no usual sound of reading a disk.

In player’s menu item “Optical Disk” always show “NO DISK”, even after several pressing of ENTER button on the remote control, when this item is selected. However, when I have item “Optical Disk” selected and press ENTER on remote or button PLAY on the player itself, a little blue bar appears on the right bottom corner of the menu and it looks like the player tries to communicate with optical drive, but the communication fails.

I’ve tried to reboot the device, tried several disks (bluray, dvd and normal music cd), with or without HDD drive, with o without System Storage on external Flash Card, nothing works.

any ideas or should I return the unit ?

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by avhobby001 /forum/post/20680612

I have a problem with Dune HD Max that I bought last week

The problem is the player doesn't recognize any optical disk. It opens and closes the tray, but when the disk is inside, the player doesn't start to spin it, there are no usual sound of reading a disk.

In player's menu item Optical Disk always show NO DISK, even after several pressing of ENTER button on the remote control, when this item is selected. However, when I have item Optical Disk selected and press ENTER on remote or button PLAY on the player itself, a little blue bar appears on the right bottom corner of the menu and it looks like the player tries to communicate with optical drive, but the communication fails.

I've tried to reboot the device, tried several disks (bluray, dvd and normal music cd), with or without HDD drive, with o without System Storage on external Flash Card, nothing works.

any ideas or should I return the unit ?

I would contact where you bought it from right away to either help troubleshoot or more likely you need a replacement

·
Registered
2,934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacemaker /forum/post/20681456

are there any options in the dune Max to 'sharpen' images?

i am trying to decide if this can replace my HTPC

Thanks

No such option....but why would you want to tamper with the image? That is one thing that has always puzzled me about HTPCs. Sharpening the image at the source does nothing but destroy PQ.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob /forum/post/20680355

As a new Dune D1 owner I wanted to comment on the D1 after using it for a few days...

File Sharing- D1 found my (Samba) NAS immediately, but didn't see any folders or files. So I had to read the (online only) full user manual and add the NAS IP address and create a profile for it. After that, all the folders on my NAS showed up. Strange that you're required to add servers I address? I have half a dozen media players and all simply let you browse the network for full access to your NAS folders.

I have the same problem. I have two NAS filers -- an older ReadyNAS and a new QNAP. I can see both Samba servers but can only browse folders on the ReadyNAS. Once a shortcut was saved to my multimedia folder on the QNAP I could get it also. I figured it was a difference in the version of the Samba servers but have been to lazy to find out. It would be nice to be able to easily browse other folders...

(I recall having a similar problem between two windows machines on my home network a year ago -- one was Windows XP, the other Vista).

Can anyone shed any light on this?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy /forum/post/20681475

No such option....but why would you want to tamper with the image? That is one thing that has always puzzled me about HTPCs. Sharpening the image at the source does nothing but destroy PQ.

Right. "Sharpening" means adding high frequency noise! Never understood the need myself.

4901 - 4920 of 11867 Posts