AVS Forum banner

4921 - 4940 of 11864 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy /forum/post/20681475

No such option....but why would you want to tamper with the image? That is one thing that has always puzzled me about HTPCs. Sharpening the image at the source does nothing but destroy PQ.

there is so much choice with a HTPC with renderers etc that perhaps 'sharpen' was a bad word to use. i agree you cannot get better than the original but who is to say you are getting that?

at least tweaking gives the option to improve and maybe get closer to the original

·
Registered
133 Posts
If they soften a movie in transferring to blu-ray I don't think you can recover what was lost with sharpening controls. If you're playing SD content perhaps the upscaling to 1080p would be better than the Dune.

·
Registered
135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by solaris72 /forum/post/0

Not sure its been asked or answered before,

can my Dune d1 setup on the network, can it act as a media server like the WD TV LIVE HUB can so you can connect to it and play the movies its internal hard drive from another location ?

Thanks

Anyone know the answer for this? I need to access the dune from another room with ps3 attached to tv and everything on the same network? I can access dune folders from my pc, but dune not showing up on ps3 or tv as a media server?

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:

Anyone know the answer for this? I need to access the dune from another room with ps3 attached to tv and everything on the same network? I can access dune folders from my pc, but dune not showing up on ps3 or tv as a media server?

yes, i believe it can act as a smb server. i have done this with the pch. i dont have an internal drive in the dunes but process should be the same

·
Registered
135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/0

yes, i believe it can act as a smb server. i have done this with the pch. i dont have an internal drive in the dunes but process should be the same

Thanks. Im not seeing that in my ps3 or Tv mediaserver list. Am i missing something?

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:

Thanks. Im not seeing that in my ps3 or Tv mediaserver list. Am i missing something?

I do see the dune appear on my w7 pc in the network settings. I know for the pch u have to actually start the smb server, cant remember for the dune

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by solaris72 /forum/post/20682788

It does include an SMB server (as you can see from your PC), but maybe your PS3 or TV are looking for DLNA or something like that? The Dune doesn't handle that protocol.

·
Registered
135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ /forum/post/0

It does include an SMB server (as you can see from your PC), but maybe your PS3 or TV are looking for DLNA or something like that? The Dune doesn't handle that protocol.

Thanks. So in other words dune wont do media streaming, just local to the tv attached?

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by solaris72 /forum/post/20682921

Thanks. So in other words dune wont do media streaming, just local to the tv attached?

It can stream media if the streamer can stream over SMB (like another Dune brand box could).

·
Registered
135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ /forum/post/0

It can stream media if the streamer can stream over SMB (like another Dune brand box could).

Thanks, its clear now

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I heard that a new sigma chip set to come out at the end of 2011 will finally be able to play 3d bluray iso and that Dune (among others i'm sure) is going to use it in a new media tanki.

any info on this or a new player for q3/q4 2011?

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatre /forum/post/20683885

I heard that a new sigma chip set to come out at the end of 2011 will finally be able to play 3d bluray iso and that Dune (among others i'm sure) is going to use it in a new media tanki.

any info on this or a new player for q3/q4 2011?

As of now the SMP8910 I am hearing won't hit media players until 2012 (presumably first half of the year). Of course no complaints here if that schedule gets bump up to end of 2011

·
Registered
6,783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie /forum/post/20681542

I have the same problem. I have two NAS filers -- an older ReadyNAS and a new QNAP. I can see both Samba servers but can only browse folders on the ReadyNAS. Once a shortcut was saved to my multimedia folder on the QNAP I could get it also. I figured it was a difference in the version of the Samba servers but have been to lazy to find out. It would be nice to be able to easily browse other folders...

(I recall having a similar problem between two windows machines on my home network a year ago -- one was Windows XP, the other Vista).

Can anyone shed any light on this?

With my setup, on my FreeNAS server I have a main folder called "Media" inside that folder are sub folders like "Movies" "TV" "Documentaries" "Kids", etc. I followed the instructions from the Dune online manual ( http://dune-hd.com/online_manual/ ) for "Connecting Network Folder Using SMB Protocol":

In the "New Network Folder" dialog, perform the following steps:

Set the "Server" field to the server IP address. E.g. "10.0.0.2".

When connecting to a Windows PC, the required IP address can be found in the network connection properties on a Windows PC.

Set the "Folder" field to the name of a shared folder (having proper access rights) on an SMB server. E.g. "VIDEO".

When connecting to a Windows PC, the name of the shared folder can be found in the properties of a folder on a Windows PC.

The name of a shared folder which is exposed to the network (so-called network name) may differ from its name on a hard drive; you should use the network name. If the SMB server requires user name and password, specify those values in respective fields (in most cases those are not required).

Following those instructions- gives me the ability to see all the sub-folders in my main "media" folder on the NAS.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I'm thinking of replacing my HTPC with a media streamer. I'm tired of crashes, bugs, and time spent fiddling with the HTPC to get it to the point that anyone can sit down and figure it out.

I like the looks of the Dune D1 as opposed to some other options. I've already got BluRay support with my PS3 so no need for the Dune to do it. All of my media is currently stored on an unRaid server that would be connected by gigabit ethernet. My current collection is around 350 movies, 50 seasons of TV shows, and about 1,000 albums in WMA-Lossless and MP3.

I'm using a WDTV Live Plus in my bedroom right now, but the interface looks like junk and it is slow to navigate and connect to the network shares. Not to mention the headaches I initially had getting it to see network shares at all.

So, it seems worth it to spend the extra money up front on the Dune D1. It will be plugged into my Denon AVR to bit stream audio and pass through video to my TV. However, I hear people discussing adding internal storage to the Dune player. Why do I need that?

My number one priority is that the Dune will always just work and that guests can figure it out without my assistance. Also, I would love if the Dune has a good way to do a party mode of sorts with music. That is to say it is easy to add songs to a playlist that anyone can mess with without interrupting the current song playing. Much like the modern digital jukeboxes you find in bars. A nice visualizer would be a bonus too!

So basically, do you think the Dune D1 fits for me? What do I need to do about internal storage? How much setup and configuration is there?

·
Registered
2,555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by solaris72 /forum/post/20682788

I have multiple Dunes in my house and I have tried. You can stream media from one Dune's hard drive, to the other Dune via SMB.

However, the PS3 does not support Samba, so you cannot do this with a PS3.

The PS3 only has UPnP (DLNA). The Dune is a UPnP client, but not a server, meaning it can stream data from a UPnP server, but it cannot serve data to another UPnP client.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 /forum/post/20684582

I'm thinking of replacing my HTPC with a media streamer. I'm tired of crashes, bugs, and time spent fiddling with the HTPC to get it to the point that anyone can sit down and figure it out.

I like the looks of the Dune D1 as opposed to some other options. I've already got BluRay support with my PS3 so no need for the Dune to do it. All of my media is currently stored on an unRaid server that would be connected by gigabit ethernet. My current collection is around 350 movies, 50 seasons of TV shows, and about 1,000 albums in WMA-Lossless and MP3.

I'm using a WDTV Live Plus in my bedroom right now, but the interface looks like junk and it is slow to navigate and connect to the network shares. Not to mention the headaches I initially had getting it to see network shares at all.

So, it seems worth it to spend the extra money up front on the Dune D1. It will be plugged into my Denon AVR to bit stream audio and pass through video to my TV. However, I hear people discussing adding internal storage to the Dune player. Why do I need that?

My number one priority is that the Dune will always just work and that guests can figure it out without my assistance. Also, I would love if the Dune has a good way to do a party mode of sorts with music. That is to say it is easy to add songs to a playlist that anyone can mess with without interrupting the current song playing. Much like the modern digital jukeboxes you find in bars. A nice visualizer would be a bonus too!

So basically, do you think the Dune D1 fits for me? What do I need to do about internal storage? How much setup and configuration is there?

FYI. The Dune doesn't play WMA lossless files. There is nothing I know of with any kind of "party mode" that you describe. You can make playlists though (by file, or on-the-fly with the file browser). Making them on-the-fly really isn't very intuitive though, so it wouldn't be easy for someone to just walk up and do it. Honestly, the Dune is a pretty weak audio "jukebox" at this point, even though there are some better tools being developed.

As for movie playback, my 4 year old has been using the Dune since he was 3. He uses the Zappiti jukebox for playing back movies/TV. So if you setup Zappiti on the Dune, then to a user walking up to that device, it is simple enough that a 3 year old can do it.

There is alot you mentioned that the Dune doesn't do. I don't know of any single device that does everything you want. I think you are searching for a unicorn. The Dune can be made into one of the best AV streamers on the market if that is a goal. But for audio jukeboxes, at this point I would suggest using a standalone audio jukebox with the current state of things (the Dune does have good streaming radio, much of it commercial free).

I think the scorecard goes something like this:

Video Jukebox --- Excellent

Audio Jukebox --- Very Limited

Streaming Radio --- Very Good

Torrent Client --- OK

IPTV --- Very Limited (And the free stuff out there sucks anyway...nothing like tuning in to some free Greek Orthodox religious programming)

Web Browser --- OK

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts

Quote:

You only need internal storage on the Dune to play BD java and to use some media jukeboxes I believe. You can use a small USB stick and plug it into the internal USB port or an external one. I use an unraid server myself with two Dune D1's with no issues. Everything plays perfectly.

The Dune can show album art when playing an album but doesn't do visualization. I'm also not sure how to set up a playlist from the device. Its feature set isn't geared to music playback though it does play music flawlessly.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts

Quote:

However, I hear people discussing adding internal storage to the Dune player. Why do I need that?

Internal storage on the Dune HD D1 seems to be needed for enabling Zappitti. I use a fast 4GB USB stick. I think adding a hard drive can do the same thing, but the Dune D1 does not appear to me to have enough cooling for a hard drive - but I could be wrong. The nice thing is that it is very, very quiet (completely silent as far as I can tell).

As others have said, the Dune doesn't seem to be a great audio jukebox. For what you're describing, I'd look elsewhere. It is interesting to note that even Sonos does not support WMA lossless. You might want to convert them to a more widely supported format. But then again 1000 songs seems like lot of effort. It might not be that bad if there are batch converters so you can let your computer chug away for a few days.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax /forum/post/20684898

Internal storage on the Dune HD D1 seems to be needed for enabling Zappitti. I use a fast 4GB USB stick. I think adding a hard drive can do the same thing, but the Dune D1 does not appear to me to have enough cooling for a hard drive - but I could be wrong. The nice thing is that it is very, very quiet (completely silent as far as I can tell).

As others have said, the Dune doesn't seem to be a great audio jukebox. For what you're describing, I'd look elsewhere. It is interesting to note that even Sonos does not support WMA lossless. You might want to convert them to a more widely supported format. But then again 1000 songs seems like lot of effort. It might not be that bad if there are batch converters so you can let your computer chug away for a few days.

Internal storage on the Dune is not needed for Zappiti per se, it is only needed if you want to add a Zappiti shortcut icon on the Dune Main Menu

·
Registered
135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnorris /forum/post/0

I have multiple Dunes in my house and I have tried. You can stream media from one Dune's hard drive, to the other Dune via SMB.

However, the PS3 does not support Samba, so you cannot do this with a PS3.

The PS3 only has UPnP (DLNA). The Dune is a UPnP client, but not a server, meaning it can stream data from a UPnP server, but it cannot serve data to another UPnP client.

Thanks for the explanation. Only very few support smb i beleive. My tv, ps3 all support dlna!

4921 - 4940 of 11864 Posts