AVS Forum banner

4961 - 4980 of 11867 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmother /forum/post/0

The recent WD drives use AFT even for 2 TB.

The hacker Padavan has some dsf files for properly formatting Advanced Format drives on the Dune. Search for dune_service_af_make_whole_ext3_on_hdd.dsf. I've used them myself (and studied how they work) and they work great.

·
Registered
463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmother /forum/post/20691466

Using an Entech True RMS DMM with temperature probe the readings convinced me that any of these would experience a shortened life span. Temps were ~ 45 - over 50 C.

Were you able to take any temp measurements when the Dune was in standby?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans /forum/post/20693824

I was using jumpers on my WD20EARS drives to get around the AFT issues. I believe using the jumper makes it seem the starting sector is 63 rather than 64 but admittedly, I'm out of my element on this stuff.

Yes, it is reported that the WD jumper fix works. Seagate claims that their AFT drives do this automatically in their drive firmware, whether this works with the Dune is as yet unknown.

But this looks interesting:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=4961

·
Registered
1,710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwinroad /forum/post/20693939

Were you able to take any temp measurements when the Dune was in standby?

Thanks

Did not try that, the slots in the Dune are too small to insert the probe so I had to eject the HDD and immediately tape the probe to the HDD top surface to make the measurement.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmother /forum/post/20691466

Since the H1 will stream ~ 50Mbs over the network it will certainly do that and more from an attached HDD.

I chose the H1 since it is the least expensive in the smart series, not because of the internal HDD slot

I tested 3 2 TB HDD's, a WDC 5400 RPM green, an SG 5900 RPM green and a Hitachi 7200 RPM.

Using an Entech True RMS DMM with temperature probe the readings convinced me that any of these would experience a shortened life span. Temps were ~ 45 - over 50 C. Since most of these are specified at 60 C max my experience as an Aerospace engineer with a lot reliability analysis and access to DOD reliability databases convinced me to avoid internal drives in the H1.

Moreover the excess heat could also adversely affect the Dune electronics.

Do yourself a favor and by an Esata dock where 2/3 of the drive is exposed to ambient air or an Esata enclosure WITH a FAN. You will be glad you did.

The NG 3700 is a dual band router with a 4 port Gb switch to allow four devices to acess the internet via the attached cable modem simultaneously.

I have a 2TB EARS drive in an H1 and I agree they do get H-O-T, but drives are $60, so I'm not worried about shortened life span. They do run a bit cooler in something like a Base 3.0 (because it has a fan, as do Duo's), but still get around 40-45C.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmother /forum/post/20693798

You might try one of these Samsung drives.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=803

The post linked above mentions the Samsung Ecogreen drive.

I have the 2TB version ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152245 ) along with three WD Green drives in my four hard drive NAS .

The few times I've opened it up while running- the Samsung Ecogreen has always been at room temperature where the WD Green drives were quite warm (not hot though) to the touch.

The Samsung Ecogreen drives do run very cool compared to other drives.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnorris /forum/post/20693995

I have a 2TB EARS drive in an H1 and I agree they do get H-O-T, but drives are $60, so I'm not worried about shortened life span. They do run a bit cooler in something like a Base 3.0 (because it has a fan, as do Duo's), but still get around 40-45C.

Your choice of course.

True, drives are cheap but the chief issue is losing 2 TB of ripped videos. The time and effort in replacing these even with a backup is a pain. Without a backup what do you do ? Beat the wife, kick the dog, re-rip all your movies ?

Better safe than sorry, moreover the H1, no fan, could suffer damage to the Dune as well and that is expensive.

Not an issue for me, all movies stream fro a WHS with 14 TB of storage so no need for a drive in the H1.

·
Registered
73 Posts
wnorris,

Thank you very much for your reply. I had a hunch the problem was either the DIR-655 or my onboard ethernet on my M3N72-D motherboard. I upgraded my BIOS and chipset and that didn't really help. I've tweaked the device settings for the ethernet controller but never saw anything about Jumbo Frames for that specific adapter.

I was getting fed up so I just bought a switch and new gigabit ethernet card to try out, but in the meantime I'm going to try your solution once I get home.

I was also thinking that my long ethernet run from the attic to my basement and back to the Dune on the first floor might be the culprit so I'm considering new Cat6 cables (I need to run ethernet to a couple rooms upstairs anyway) to see if that brings any improvement.

The problem is weird when watching a movie. The bitrate is getting choked whenever the audio drops. For example, I'll go from 40mbps down to 20mpbs then when it recovers I'll hit 60mpbs before it settles back to 40 (all of this occurs in 2-5 seconds).

Again, thanks for the time you took to answer my question. You gave me a couple ideas I haven't tried yet. I'll report back with any progress.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmother /forum/post/20693798

You might try one of these Samsung drives.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=803

Esata docs are at 20-30 $ now including power brick and esata cable. Check at Newegg and Amazon.

The problem is not drive size but the fact that these use AFT.
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/sto...t-hard-disks/1

The recent WD drives use AFT even for 2 TB.

Can not comment on video thumbnails, I used Zapitti for movie box covers.

Thanks for all the info. So do you have to set the jumper on the drive when you install it in the Dune?

I know some Blu-ray players like the PS3 cannot see an NTFS drive as it is formatted to FAT32 which is horribly limiting.

Would that Samsung drive run too hot for an internal drive? It seems it runs very cool compared to the WD drive.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've read through this thread for while and there is no mention that the Zune HD Max or any Zune can pass through HD Audio, such as Dolby True HD or DTS HD Master Audio.

Can any Zune unit do this? Thanks

·
Registered
2,555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyneric /forum/post/20694270

wnorris,

Thank you very much for your reply. I had a hunch the problem was either the DIR-655 or my onboard ethernet on my M3N72-D motherboard. I upgraded my BIOS and chipset and that didn't really help. I've tweaked the device settings for the ethernet controller but never saw anything about Jumbo Frames for that specific adapter.

I was getting fed up so I just bought a switch and new gigabit ethernet card to try out, but in the meantime I'm going to try your solution once I get home.

I was also thinking that my long ethernet run from the attic to my basement and back to the Dune on the first floor might be the culprit so I'm considering new Cat6 cables (I need to run ethernet to a couple rooms upstairs anyway) to see if that brings any improvement.

The problem is weird when watching a movie. The bitrate is getting choked whenever the audio drops. For example, I'll go from 40mbps down to 20mpbs then when it recovers I'll hit 60mpbs before it settles back to 40 (all of this occurs in 2-5 seconds).

Again, thanks for the time you took to answer my question. You gave me a couple ideas I haven't tried yet. I'll report back with any progress.

Jumbo Frames really just means MTU size, which most adapters have a setting for under their properties. A jumbo frame is any MTU over 1500 (typically 1500 is default). Some of those speed/performance tweaking programs will lower this number to under 1500, so you could have lowered it and not know.

So make sure it is at least 1500 and try to find the max size your adapter will support and try that too. Mine is 9000, but I've seen 5000, and 7000 NIC's too.

My Win7 x64 symptoms were similar to yours. If I graphed network throughput on the network performance monitor, it looked like a square wave (but much more frequently than every 5 seconds, more like once per second). After enabling jumbo frames, it smoothed out with no drops.

And I was using CAT6 cable already, running from the upstairs down to the crawlspace, and back up into the wall on the other side of the house.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurly /forum/post/20694578

I've read through this thread for while and there is no mention that the Zune HD Max or any Zune can pass through HD Audio, such as Dolby True HD or DTS HD Master Audio.

Can any Zune unit do this? Thanks

I don't know about Zune, but the Dunes certainly can.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurly /forum/post/20694578

I've read through this thread for while and there is no mention that the Dune HD Max or any Dune can pass through HD Audio, such as Dolby True HD or DTS HD Master Audio.

Can any Dune unit do this? Thanks

iboum has a fairly comprehensive list of the Dune features:
http://www.iboum.com/pr/dune-smart-d1.php

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dune D1 ??

A friend of mine is looking to get out of sage tv. He has multiple TVs that play from a synology array over a wired network. 99.9% of what he need is the ability to play non-blu ray DVD's in the standard VOB format.

A large part of his collection requires the ability to play subtitles on the DVD's - I'm talking about subtitles that came as a feature on existing DVD's, not additional subtitle files.

Ideally, he wants to play flv files as well, though it's not a deal breaker. Will the hd smart d1 do all of this?

·
Registered
1,970 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by avhobby001 /forum/post/20695978

Dune D1 ??

A friend of mine is looking to get out of sage tv. He has multiple TVs that play from a synology array over a wired network. 99.9% of what he need is the ability to play non-blu ray DVD's in the standard VOB format.

A large part of his collection requires the ability to play subtitles on the DVD's - I'm talking about subtitles that came as a feature on existing DVD's, not additional subtitle files.

Ideally, he wants to play flv files as well, though it's not a deal breaker. Will the hd smart d1 do all of this?

I don't think any media player out there will play an FLV file. I could be wrong but being able to play full screen FLV fils would be a WIN in my book! I have to use my PC and either play then on that or convert them to MP4 files.

The converted files are generally huge.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cebu /forum/post/20696222

I don't think any media player out there will play an FLV file. I could be wrong but being able to play full screen FLV fils would be a WIN in my book! I have to use my PC and either play then on that or convert them to MP4 files.

The converted files are generally huge.

With the exception of Flv it will do the rest via a vob file correct ?

·
Registered
73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnorris /forum/post/20694747

Jumbo Frames really just means MTU size, which most adapters have a setting for under their properties. A jumbo frame is any MTU over 1500 (typically 1500 is default). Some of those speed/performance tweaking programs will lower this number to under 1500, so you could have lowered it and not know.

So make sure it is at least 1500 and try to find the max size your adapter will support and try that too. Mine is 9000, but I've seen 5000, and 7000 NIC's too.

My Win7 x64 symptoms were similar to yours. If I graphed network throughput on the network performance monitor, it looked like a square wave (but much more frequently than every 5 seconds, more like once per second). After enabling jumbo frames, it smoothed out with no drops.

And I was using CAT6 cable already, running from the upstairs down to the crawlspace, and back up into the wall on the other side of the house.

THANK YOU! It all came down to disabling the DNS relay. I just watched a few high bitrate scenes that used to drop out audio really badly and I didn't have a single stutter. My computer is still in pieces and the movie still playing because I had to run up here and let you know. The DIR-655 is certainly finicky.

The new ethernet card I bought was DOA so I am still using the onboard Nforce ethernet card on my motherboard which is supposed to support gigabit but apparently (after hours of tweaking and searching) does not. I saw the adjustment for MTU size in the router options but 1500 was the highest it would let me set. I do not have any MTU adjustment in any of the properties for the onboard NIC but everything is working like a charm so I can't complain.

Thanks again wnorris! Finally I can enjoy the Dune, revert back to the new firmware, and watch a movie without audio dropouts!

·
Registered
370 Posts
What about something like this to keep an internal HDD cool in a D1?

Or are there other recommendations?

4961 - 4980 of 11867 Posts