AVS Forum banner

11841 - 11860 of 11864 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Has anyone bitstreamed Atmos and DTS-X with HD Max ?

Is it capable of doing it or i need to get another player to do that?

I'm in the process of moving to Immersive sound.
If your video file has the the ATMOS soundtracks in it it will bitstream ATMOS to your AVR. Not sure about the built in BD as never use it.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
The new forum software doesn't seem to allow one to search a thread, so I need to ask for help. My Dune Smart D1 has suddenly started pausing due to buffering. I'm hard wired, so it isn't a wireless problem. I've used the Dune for almost a decade without a problem. I've looked at the Dune settings, my router settings, and my NAS settings and all look OK to me. Can anyone suggest how to troubleshoot this?

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
Have you tried running a read test on some of your NAS files? Find a file on the NAS and click the pop-up menu button, scroll down to information and then choose to do a read test.

You can also try unplugging and plugging in the ethernet cable in the back of the Dune and check any switches that may be in the path. I recently had a similar issue. I know it wasn't the NAS because I wasn't having issues with any other Dunes in the house so it had to be either the switch at the Dune having the issues, the Dune itself or the line running to that switch. In the end, after running a different ethernet cable to the Dune from the switch, everything started working again so I'm not sure if just plugging in and unplugging the cable was the solution or not. The unplugged cable seems to be fine.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The new forum software doesn't seem to allow one to search a thread, so I need to ask for help. My Dune Smart D1 has suddenly started pausing due to buffering. I'm hard wired, so it isn't a wireless problem. I've used the Dune for almost a decade without a problem. I've looked at the Dune settings, my router settings, and my NAS settings and all look OK to me. Can anyone suggest how to troubleshoot this?
If you start typing in the main search box, options to search only the current discussion appear in the pop-up below your search term.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi!
Have you recently done a Dune firmware update or an update to your NAS?

Do you know if your NAS is sharing files via SMB or is it using NFS?
I ask because I use a Win10 PC to share files with my Dune Smart D1, and several years ago I started having buffering probs while using SMB to access the files so I installed an NFS server on the Win10 system and then changed the links on the Dune to read via NFS and the issues went away and I've had fast transfer ever since...

I know this isn't exactly your setup, but I thought I'd mention it in case your NAS gives you the option of using both methods...maybe you could try a different one.

-Greg

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Have you tried running a read test on some of your NAS files? Find a file on the NAS and click the pop-up menu button, scroll down to information and then choose to do a read test.

You can also try unplugging and plugging in the ethernet cable in the back of the Dune and check any switches that may be in the path. I recently had a similar issue. I know it wasn't the NAS because I wasn't having issues with any other Dunes in the house so it had to be either the switch at the Dune having the issues, the Dune itself or the line running to that switch. In the end, after running a different ethernet cable to the Dune from the switch, everything started working again so I'm not sure if just plugging in and unplugging the cable was the solution or not. The unplugged cable seems to be fine.
Thank you. Great suggestions; I will try them all. Read test first. But it seems to me that the switch is where I should concentrate.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Hi!
Have you recently done a Dune firmware update or an update to your NAS?

Do you know if your NAS is sharing files via SMB or is it using NFS?
I ask because I use a Win10 PC to share files with my Dune Smart D1, and several years ago I started having buffering probs while using SMB to access the files so I installed an NFS server on the Win10 system and then changed the links on the Dune to read via NFS and the issues went away and I've had fast transfer ever since...

I know this isn't exactly your setup, but I thought I'd mention it in case your NAS gives you the option of using both methods...maybe you could try a different one.

-Greg
Excellent idea. I can switch to NFS, so I will try that. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
If you start typing in the main search box, options to search only the current discussion appear in the pop-up below your search term.
Weird that the option was not showing up. I closed the tab and then opened it from my history. The option was there.

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
OK, read test is showing 11 MB/s which I think implies the network is healthy. I will try NFS next.
Is it still stuttering/buffering? Is it multiple files or just one with issues? How long did you let the read test run? 11MB/s is basically the max it will do and is far in excess of peak max bitrate per blu ray specs so, assuming you get a constant 11MB/s, it doesn't sound like network issues are causing this.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Is it still stuttering/buffering? Is it multiple files or just one with issues? How long did you let the read test run? 11MB/s is basically the max it will do and is far in excess of peak max bitrate per blu ray specs so, assuming you get a constant 11MB/s, it doesn't sound like network issues are causing this.
Thank you for asking! I changed the Dune to use NFS and watched a 2 hour show last night without any problem. Before that I was getting major buffering events (3 second pauses) every 5 minutes.

Before switching to NFS, I did the read test with several files for 10 minutes or more each. None showed any slow down. Earlier, I was seeing the buffering when playing multiple files and files with different encodings. Really low bit rate files didn't buffer. One strange thing is that I have a Nvidia Shield and using SMB on it, I can watch the same files without any stuttering. Even stranger is that the read test didn't buffer even though it was accessing the files via SMB. This implies that the problem is with the Dune video player.

Again, I've used my Dune almost daily since 2012 and never had a buffering problem. The only thing I can imagine happened is that when I upgraded my NAS firmware a few days ago that something may have happened to the NSA SMB throughput to the Dune video player.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thank you for asking! I changed the Dune to use NFS and watched a 2 hour show last night without any problem. Before that I was getting major buffering events (3 second pauses) every 5 minutes.

Again, I've used my Dune almost daily since 2012 and never had a buffering problem. The only thing I can imagine happened is that when I upgraded my NAS firmware a few days ago that something may have happened to the NSA SMB throughput to the Dune video player.

Thanks for your help
So glad NFS worked for you! Samba can definitely be a little mysterious at times :)

- Greg

·
Registered
409 Posts
Unplug your D1, plug in a laptop and test with speedtest.net from a laptop

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Unplug your D1, plug in a laptop and test with speedtest.net from a laptop
Hahaha! You reminded mre of something else. I forgot about unplugging the D1 for the wall socket & then plugging it back in. I used to do that occasionally to fix problems, but have not needed to do it in years. Doing so seems to have fixed Samba.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I realize that this may be off topic, but I am considering getting a Dune HD SmartBox 4K for my office system. Does that basic player have any major limitation that might be a deal breaker? All I want is a Dune player to play my movies and music in my office, and hopefully be able to use Yadis.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I don't see any discussions of the Dune HD SmartBox 4K on this site, but I'll try to answer. This may not apply to you, but I bought Dune HD Pro 4K II a few weeks ago and it does have problems. I converted my old VHS Tapes and other TV recordings to digital files. Some of them play fine, some play badly, and some do not play. The old Dune HD Smart players work much better with those files. You probably will not have the problems I had with old recordings, but be aware the newer Dunes do have a fair amount of weirdness.

I don't use Yadis, so I cannot help you with specifics there. However, I was able to load an older version of Zappiti onto the Pro 4K II, so I suspect the newer Dunes should be able to handle Yadis.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Thanks for the response, I might as well pull the trigger, hopefully I won't have playback issues. The Dune HD RealBox 4K seems appealing too. I agree with you that the Dune HD Smart series were solid. I still use my H1 and my D1 on a daily basis.

·
Registered
765 Posts
My 10+ year old Dune Max is running into more and more issues with files that won't play. I believe people are using newer codecs that were not around when the Max came out (for example H. 265)

Is there anyway for it to get the latest codecs or is it time to look for a new media player? Or maybe it is not a codec problem and my Dune Max is nearing it's end of life and time for me to move to an Nvidia Shield?

·
Registered
765 Posts
My 10+ year old Dune Max is running into more and more issues with files that won't play. I believe people are using newer codecs that were not around when the Max came out (for example H. 265)

Is there anyway for it to get the latest codecs or is it time to look for a new media player? Or maybe it is not a codec problem and my Dune Max is nearing it's end of life and time for me to move to an Nvidia Shield?
Anyone still using an old Dune Max or Dune HD that is also having more and more issues playing file types?

11841 - 11860 of 11864 Posts