AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 322 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to give you guys a heads up about the new Dune BD Prime, which I believe will be being previewed at CES.

I've only recently started playing with it, so the jury is still out (full review when I feel I've tested everything to the fullest extent). I think this product has a lot of potential right off the bat. I am using it in parallel with the TVIX 6500.

Picture and audio quality wise, they are both equivalent, but the unit has a built in Blu-ray player and can also stream bluray rips from the network (NFS and SMB, just like the TVIX).

The quality of the unit's outer finish is pretty good, although you have to pay attention to take the nearly-invisible sticky nylons off the front panel, or it looks pretty bad (took me a few minutes to figure that out, I'm sure not everyone will catch that). When closed, it has a shiny black panel black with the time counter running in blue- which works well with people who like a low key design (myself included).

I really like the GUI so far. Bluray functionality seems quite good - I was able to play regular bluray disks without a problem and rips worked better than they did on my TVIX unit. What's nicer is that the menus (animated popups and all), subtitles and audio tracks were all active and working effortlessly over my home network! That includes pretty tough rips such as SIN CITY japanese edition, which goes up to 61Mbps at certain key points in the movie.

My TVIX choked with this content, unfortunately.

There's still functionality missing if we compare it with the TVIX or NMT units (stuff like bookmarks and 50/60Hz auto switch) but this looks like something that can definitely be addressed in the future.

There's still some ways to go and some improvements with the product's finish could be worth it, but the unit was quite stabile and I think we have an interesting contender here that could potentially take the lead if they continue to do things right.

·
Registered
132 Posts
couple of things to add:

1. BD Prime is not the only new model there: it's a kind of "lower end" model w/o internal hard disc. check the manufacturer:
http://www.hdi.co.il/fullhd_players/...-bd-prime.html

There is also another model: Dune HD Center
http://www.hdi.co.il/fullhd_players/...hd_center.html

it has the same f/w but also internal HDD, insertable from outside like in mobile rack for a PC (indeed, the mobile rack for a PC is bundled together with the device, so that it's possible to move HDD easily between a computer and this player (no need to carry the entire player to a PC and use slower USB connection).

2. Concerning CES: according to the site hdi.co.il the booth is Sands 73031. I'm pretty sure there will be something to check out there...

·
Registered
132 Posts
check also this:
http://www.mpcclub.com/modules.php?n...t=19872#150930

it seems this Dune f/w is already hacked by somebody: Hi-Jack is providing some kind of a f/w patch (download small file and just press "Enter" on it in player's file browser) making this player multi-regional for both DVD and Blu-ray! For Blu-ray it's possible to change the region with rather simple combination of remote keys. Seems can be more useful exactly this way, because BD+ protection often checks the region directly, anything like Region 0 for such BD discs wouldn't even work...

·
Registered
39 Posts
How would one go about getting one of these in the USA? There are two links from the manufacturer's website to US distributors; one of them is no longer a working website address, and the other points to a static page that says "Coming soon..."

·
Registered
495 Posts
That is one sleek-looking device. I love my new PCH A-110, but it looks like it was built in somebody's garage out of spare parts.

I'll be following the progress of Dune streamers, see how their FW updates and support are, and what kind of community grows up around them.

·
Registered
474 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor /forum/post/15458744

How would one go about getting one of these in the USA? There are two links from the manufacturer's website to US distributors; one of them is no longer a working website address, and the other points to a static page that says "Coming soon..."

duneplayer.com has some on order, expected in january........give them a phone call to discuss

·
Registered
132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcour /forum/post/15460522

That is one sleek-looking device. I love my new PCH A-110, but it looks like it was built in somebody's garage out of spare parts.

I'll be following the progress of Dune streamers, see how their FW updates and support are, and what kind of community grows up around them.

You can be checking this at MPC Club, if you want. It's already quite recognized there...

·
Registered
216 Posts
I think this is exactly what I've been looking for.

So let me get this straight. Provided that all firmware updates are applied and available to fix and make every option that these players are suppose to be able to do, one can take a Bluray, rip it to there computer as either an .ISO or VOB files (or bluray equal), and be able to play these through a home network from said server WITHOUT:

-studdering

-loss of DTS-MA Dolby TrueHD

-loss off 1080p quality

So I guess esentially, this is exactly like playing a blue ray on a set top box, only you are playing through a network from a file?

Sorry for the ingnorance, but this is a concern. And you have to understand that when ripping DVDs first became popular I still new little about it. Now with MUXing disc and containers and whatnot, its all kind of confusing. Not only that the time involved in encoded disc is just insane. I just want to be able to pull the files off, organize, and be done.

·
Registered
132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheggsl /forum/post/15484594

Hi Oferlor,

thanks for the info, can you please advice on whether it can play Bd ISO Rips

according to the developers, it's already possible to play a copy saved to a directory. also the mechanism for playing from ISO is ready and will be available in the next ver. of the f/w

·
Registered
132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stidrvr /forum/post/15485332

I think this is exactly what I've been looking for.

So let me get this straight. Provided that all firmware updates are applied and available to fix and make every option that these players are suppose to be able to do, one can take a Bluray, rip it to there computer as either an .ISO or VOB files (or bluray equal), and be able to play these through a home network from said server WITHOUT:

-studdering

-loss of DTS-MA Dolby TrueHD

-loss off 1080p quality

So I guess esentially, this is exactly like playing a blue ray on a set top box, only you are playing through a network from a file?

Sorry for the ingnorance, but this is a concern. And you have to understand that when ripping DVDs first became popular I still new little about it. Now with MUXing disc and containers and whatnot, its all kind of confusing. Not only that the time involved in encoded disc is just insane. I just want to be able to pull the files off, organize, and be done.

yes. it's already that simple: make a full copy to ISO or to directory and then play it back with full functionality like from the original BD disc...

·
Registered
203 Posts
I was close to purchasing a nmt, glad I looked around a bit more. I will definitely be watching this thread.

·
Registered
216 Posts

Quote:
yes. it's already that simple: make a full copy to ISO or to directory and then play it back with full functionality like from the original BD disc...

Im sorry but this just has to be the product of the year and its the first week of Jan.

Ive been waiting for a solution like this.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Do you need to select resolution manually or is it auto-detected?

The Prime seems to be a slightly scaled down model from the Dune HD Center. The Dune HD Center model has 512M of RAM and more network functionality, according to their web site. The Prime is said to have 384M.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I have a Dune BD-Prime + Gigabit module and I can say to you that it plays DB-Rom from a network/Nas Just fine.

There are some slight problems with DB-J (not all BD-J play 100%)

I have sold my tvix A6500 because the Prime is mutch better then the tvix 6500.

The first firmware of the BD Prime is mutch more stable than the tvix6500 (also i think it is).

I have plenty of files that not play on the tvix or stutter but plays without hickups on the bd prime.

For me this is the best mediaplayer I ever seen and i'm very happy with it.

There is still a lot to do but all the basics are there, future firmware updates will improve this nice player even more.

P.S

Prime = Blu-ray player onboard

Center = Blu-ray Player onboard also a internal HD (internal USB)

·
Registered
132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostclusters /forum/post/15492910

Do you need to select resolution manually or is it auto-detected?

yes, currently it is manual.

this feature seems to be called "Setup option to automatically adjust video output framerate" in their voting for new features here: http://hdi.co.il/features/

you can vote there, if you want. everybody can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostclusters /forum/post/15492910

The Prime seems to be a slightly scaled down model from the Dune HD Center. The Dune HD Center model has 512M of RAM and more network functionality, according to their web site. The Prime is said to have 384M.

yes, the Prime is just a simpler and cheaper model. But it seems the only real difference is the design (and here the difference is very significant, obviuosly) and that HD Center has HDD inside (it's insertable with hot swap).

To BD Prime you need to connect HDDs via USB. Though it's claimed that there is no real difference in functionality for HDD inside of HD Center and HDD connected to BD Prime via USB... (so the approach is totally different to the NMT one)

·
Registered
132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcour /forum/post/15493162

Do all of these have the Blu-ray player? I don't really need one. (You need one for your computer to copy the discs anyway, as I understand it, so it's just redundant for me.)

I talked with these guys (HDI) a few days ago on this. They told they are going to show such a model (even more scaled down than BD Prime, w/o the Blu-ray drive but with insertable HDD (hot plug) like in HD Center) during CES. Let's see...

·
Registered
495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostya /forum/post/15494523

I talked with these guys (HDI) a few days ago on this. They told they are going to show such a model (even more scaled down than BD Prime, w/o the Blu-ray drive but with insertable HDD (hot plug) like in HD Center) during CES. Let's see...

Sounds perfect. I shall wait and see, indeed. Thanks.

This is also interesting because I would think it should bring the price down a good bit.

1 - 20 of 322 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.