AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 42" 1080p Panasonic plasma TV. When I bought the TV just before X-mas, I bought a HD-DVD player as well, Toshiba A-30. The picture was great. Had a few problems here and there with playing certain discs but for the most part, the player was great. Been doing alot of research in regaurds to which format will eventually win out (HD or Blu-Ray) and decided to return the player after Warner Bros. decided to go Blu-Ray.

Now, one of the things I liked best about the player was how well it played my standard def DVD's. I hooked back up my Sony progressive scan DVD player and was dissapointed with the picture on my TV. My question is: Can I get a standard def DVD player that puts out a better picture that my 5 year old Sony at a decent price? Or, is it not worth it, seeing the Sony is progressive scan? I am currently using component cables with the Sony. I have an extra HDMI cable that I can use. Thanks, Matt

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Man_Plus /forum/post/12865095

I have a 42" 1080p Panasonic plasma TV. When I bought the TV just before X-mas, I bought a HD-DVD player as well, Toshiba A-30. The picture was great. Had a few problems here and there with playing certain discs but for the most part, the player was great. Been doing alot of research in regaurds to which format will eventually win out (HD or Blu-Ray) and decided to return the player after Warner Bros. decided to go Blu-Ray.

Now, one of the things I liked best about the player was how well it played my standard def DVD's. I hooked back up my Sony progressive scan DVD player and was dissapointed with the picture on my TV. My question is: Can I get a standard def DVD player that puts out a better picture that my 5 year old Sony at a decent price? Or, is it not worth it, seeing the Sony is progressive scan? I am currently using component cables with the Sony. I have an extra HDMI cable that I can use. Thanks, Matt

Player technology does get a bit better with time. You might see if your Sony has been tested here: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi . If it gets a poor rating I would consider replacing it.

-Bill

1 - 2 of 2 Posts