AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi chaps,

If I purchase one of the new range of 1080p/24 HD DVD players and an HDMI input for my G70, (Moome perhaps), will the G70 synch to that?

Before you yell - but the G70 can't really do 1080p, I am currently running PAL at 1152p/50 from a scaler via RGBHV very successfully.

·
Registered
522 Posts
1080P/24 looks terrible with CRT - the scanlines .. eww!

Use multiples of 24, (.. 1080/24PSF) eg 48,72

There are a lot of threads about the G70s performance @ 1080P - do a search and read up.. if you're happy with what you see, that's great. Its not 1080P though. (or 1152p)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverg /forum/post/12881867

1080P/24 looks terrible with CRT - the scanlines .. eww!

Use multiples of 24, (.. 1080/24PSF) eg 48,72

There are a lot of threads about the G70s performance @ 1080P - do a search and read up.. if you're happy with what you see, that's great. Its not 1080P though. (or 1152p)

Perhaps I've mislead you - I understand these players output at 24 frames per second - that's what I mean - can I then dispense with the scaler?

·
Registered
138 Posts
What scaler are you using? If it is a Lumagen, you can feed it 24p and output 48p that your G70 will sync to.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by napos /forum/post/12881885

What scaler are you using? If it is a Lumagen, you can feed it 24p and output 48p that your G70 will sync to.

Currently I have a very old (and failing) basic DVD player connected via SVid (I know
) to a Lumagen Vision Pro (all BNC), connected to the G70 via RGBHV.

I need to replace the failing DVD and this would have been a simple choice of a decent-ish DVD player with component but for all the recent changes

So a Toshiba HD-EP30 HD-DVD player capable of outputting 1080p, 24fps (presumable only via DVI / HDMI) for 120 quid appears to be a good option. Remove the old scaler, put a DVI input into the G70 (or HD Fury perhaps) et voila! - Or isn't it that simple?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Your projector, assuming it will sync to 24Hz fV, will display a picture that flashes like crazy. Technically, it's not the scanlines problem, such as with 480p (or worse, 480i), but simply that the picture isn't drawn on the rasters often enough to not strobe badly.

Anyone planning on feeding a CRT PJ with 1080p/24 (or anything /24) will need to have some device in the video chain that will take in the /24 and output /48 or /72. /24 will be unwatchable.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokoloff /forum/post/12881936

Your projector, assuming it will sync to 24Hz fV, will display a picture that flashes like crazy. Technically, it's not the scanlines problem, such as with 480p (or worse, 480i), but simply that the picture isn't drawn on the rasters often enough to not strobe badly.

Anyone planning on feeding a CRT PJ with 1080p/24 (or anything /24) will need to have some device in the video chain that will take in the /24 and output /48 or /72. /24 will be unwatchable.

What's the point then? - I presume 1080p/24 on a plasma doesn't flicker?

Maybe then an HTPC with AnyDVD stuffed straight up the RGBHV would be a better option?

·
Registered
802 Posts
The point is to avoid algorithmic detection and implementation of 3:2 pulldown. (Film based sources start at 24Hz generally. If you send a 24Hz source over a 60Hz link, and you do not correctly detect and correct for this [assuming your display can do 48 or 72Hz], you will see jerky pans, jumpy scrolling, etc.)

It also requires significantly less data rate than 1080p60, but that's generally not important at "only" 1080p.

It was designed to make frame-doubling to 48 or tripling to 72Hz easier and more correct, not to feed 23.98VHz directly to the CRT guns.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcoed /forum/post/12882153

What's the point then? - I presume 1080p/24 on a plasma doesn't flicker?

Maybe then an HTPC with AnyDVD stuffed straight up the RGBHV would be a better option?

No plasma that I know of actually displays at 24fps. They take the 1080p/24 and multiply it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ok, so i am a bit confused about these refresh rates.

I know what the refresh rate is...but why is it so important to have all these different ones..24..48..50..60..72 etc? I understand that 24Hz would flash on a CRT, but why go to a multiple of it? Why not 50 or 60? Why is 48Hz so different to 50Hz?

At the moment, my DVD player is outputting component to my VP20 scaler, which is outputting 50Hz to the CRT (1272)...I do see sometimes, jerky pans. It's like the camera movement is not silky smooth. How do i correct for this?

And how can you get, 48Hz..or 72Hz which i hear so many people talking about. My Vp20 does 50 and 60 only...is this a limitation of the scaler?

·
Registered
2,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoujiki /forum/post/12887260

Ok, so i am a bit confused about these refresh rates.

I know what the refresh rate is...but why is it so important to have all these different ones..24..48..50..60..72 etc? I understand that 24Hz would flash on a CRT, but why go to a multiple of it? Why not 50 or 60? Why is 48Hz so different to 50Hz?

At the moment, my DVD player is outputting component to my VP20 scaler, which is outputting 50Hz to the CRT (1272)...I do see sometimes, jerky pans. It's like the camera movement is not silky smooth. How do i correct for this?

And how can you get, 48Hz..or 72Hz which i hear so many people talking about. My Vp20 does 50 and 60 only...is this a limitation of the scaler?

The best thing you can do to a video signal is do as little as possible, and no matter what anyone tells you, the same is trur for audio. Even more so actually. Anyway, movies are stored on HD media at 1080p24. It's easier to simply multiply the 24 then to do incorporate various processes to make 24 into 60. 48 and 72 are multiples of 24. Less processing, better picture. Smoother pans and motion.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
You want the refresh rate to match or an even multiple of the fps.

To get rid of as much judder/microstutters as possible.

Otherwise you'll get a mismatch in timing when the screen refreshes and when the frame refresh from the source.

Why not try a ntsc clip but output it in 50/75Hz and see how it looks

Or run a PAL movie in 60Hz.

Stutter-haven.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ok makes sense....i do find that i get that jerky sortof judder in pans...when running both 50 and 60hz...moreso in 60hz. So what can you do to make the frame rate 48hz..or 72.. i dont see any option on my DVDO VP20 that allows that sort of frame rate.

Would outputting direct component from my dvd player to the component input on the pj be a better option?

·
Registered
5,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoujiki /forum/post/12903407

Ok makes sense....i do find that i get that jerky sortof judder in pans...when running both 50 and 60hz...moreso in 60hz. So what can you do to make the frame rate 48hz..or 72.. i dont see any option on my DVDO VP20 that allows that sort of frame rate.

Would outputting direct component from my dvd player to the component input on the pj be a better option?

An external scaler or HTPC as your source is the only way to get HD content to a multiple of 24.

Also, you might want to try 1080i/72 or 1080i/96 on a G70 as that will be sharper and better resolved than 1080p/48

·
Registered
266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcoed /forum/post/12882153

What’s the point then? – I presume 1080p/24 on a plasma doesn’t flicker?

No, plasmas and other digital displays do not flicker because they do not refresh the screen the way CRTs do. The cause of the flicker in CRTs is the phosphors in the display fading faster than they are being refreshed. Since digital displays hold an image until that image changes, there's nothing to decay.

Steve

·
Registered
168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Person99 /forum/post/12907068

An external scaler or HTPC as your source is the only way to get HD content to a multiple of 24.

Also, you might want to try 1080i/72 or 1080i/96 on a G70 as that will be sharper and better resolved than 1080p/48

So i assume then that my VP20 isn't up to the task then of recreating different refresh rates?

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I don't see why it shouldn't.

As far as I know all scalers since a while back have been able to create custom resolutions/refres rates.

I don't have a DVD0 myself but I would bet someone in the video-processor forum know more about it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts