AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
13,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Best Buy now has the new Toshiba RS-TX20 DVD writer with Tivo for $569 (MSRP is $599). This includes a 120Gb hard drive and the free Tivo Basic service, so no DVR fee is required for the program guide. Unlike the inferior TVGuide software on other boxes, Tivo Basic includes a program guide that supports both cable and satellite services.

Product specifications for Toshiba RS-TX20 DVD writer with Tivo can be found on Toshiba's web site right here (PDF). A 160Gb model is available for $100 more.

The customer can still choose to subscribe to the full "Tivo Plus" service for $12.99/mo, but it's optional. Tivo offers an additional $100-mail in rebate for those that subscribe to the "Plus" service for 1-2 months. The customer can cancel the "Tivo Plus" service at any time and revert back to the free "Tivo Basic" service. More info on the free, unlimited Tivo Basic service can be found right here .

Best Buy is sending out 10% off coupons in the mail this week, which brings the price down to $503, or $403 after the mail-in rebate.

· Registered
780 Posts
Thanks for the links!

I noticed a discrepancy in the write-up though. The "Key Features", "Advantage Toshiba" and "Technology and Benefits" blocks list DVD-R and DVD-RW for recordable formats. The "Specifications" block, however, lists DVD-RAM and DVD-R under 'Disk Record', with no mention of DVD-RW.

Finally, anyone care to guess whether or not the BLB has been fixed?!?

· Registered
1,566 Posts
Nope, none of the Tivo+DVD recorders allow you to edit recordings. I would pay for the Tivo interface if I had the editing capability like the other non-Tivo recorders have.

· Registered
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bfdtv
The customer can still choose to subscribe to the full "Tivo Plus" service for $12.99/mo, but it's optional.
Plus it makes more sense to just buy the lifetime subscription, since that raises the resale value and/or becomes more cost effective if you use it for a few years.

(If someone is poor enough to not be able to pay the lifetime fee, I would hope they'd be buying things they're in more dire need of than Tivos!)

· Registered
19 Posts
In reference to the rebate it is now in effect until 15 November per the new rebate posted at Toshiba!

Also if you read the rebate it stated that you only have to have placed the order in this timeframe to receive the rebate so you can order one now and even if you don't receive it until after Nov 15 the rebate should still be valid!!

Also nobody has posted that ecost has this unit on sale for $475 or so which after rebate would yield a cost of under $400 !!! that is pretty good I think.

Marcel

· Registered
13,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Marcel,

Yep, several vendors are selling the 120Gb RS-TX120 with free, fee-less "Tivo Basic" service for about $470 (before rebate), which equates to $370 after rebate if you subscribe to the Tivo service, or $670 with a lifetime subscription to the full "Tivo Plus" service.

· Registered
397 Posts
Does anyone think/know if this unit can playback DVD+R discs? Specifically, I have recently gotten into buring DVD+R Double-Layer (DL) discs and they playback fine in my home theater dvd player as they are designed to. However, this Toshiba does not list playback of DVD+R discs and I am wondering if that is an intentional omission on their part because they support the -R/RW format or if it is because the unit actually cannot playback +R discs? I know the +R format was designed to be able to played back in "regular" dvd players so I can't imagine why it wouldn't playback in the Toshiba unless Toshiba has intentionally done something to not allow the unit to playback those types of discs. The lack of +R playback listing on the spec sheet does have me somewhat worried however and I would like to know before I go out and purchase this machine. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

· Registered
13,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Marty,

The current Tivo software on the RS-TX120 doesn't support burning of DVD+R disks, but they use the latest dual-layer DVD writer from Pioneer, so they should support DVD+R playback, even if Toshiba doesn't advertise it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.