AVS Forum banner

2221 - 2240 of 5962 Posts

·
Registered
10,821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbas /forum/post/12889644

Ok... so I bought a HD-SDI modified Blu-Ray player from JVB Digital to plug into my VP50pro HD-SDI's connection. Guess what, it doesnt work. After emailing JVB, it turns out the VP50 pro is not compatible with their HD-SDI modified units. Their units are only compatible with:

DVDO VP30 with HD-SDI input

Crystallio 3300

Crystallio II 3800

NEC iS8 DLP cinema projector

Calibre Vantage HD

HDLink Blackmagic

NEC Theatre Sync (needs firmware update)

TVLogic monitor LVM_071W

Geffen scaler

TVONE scaler

Teranex processor

AJA HD10MA

Tektronix WFM700

Hitachi High Technologies encoder

Sony professional monitor with HD-SDI input

Marquee CRT HD-SDI with input

Envivio encoder

Barco DP100 digital cinema projector

but NOT the VP50pro. They said that DVDO has been un-responsive to help them fix the problem. It seems to be hardware issue versus a software in the VP50pro. Has anybody tried any HD-SDI material to the VP50 pro?

sorry to hear that dude

-Gary

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
The VP30 does not support HD-SDI. I suspect they meant SDI.

When I was looking at the HD-SDI input on the VP50Pro, with a Tektronix HD signal generator, I was having various issues. In the end, it turned out to be the cable. You want a proper cable, none of the high end crap. A good RG-6 like Belden 1694A should work.

·
Registered
798 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspears /forum/post/12891466

The VP30 does not support HD-SDI. I suspect they meant SDI.

When I was looking at the HD-SDI input on the VP50Pro, with a Tektronix HD signal generator, I was having various issues. In the end, it turned out to be the cable. You want a proper cable, none of the high end crap. A good RG-6 like Belden 1694A should work.

Actually JVB offers an HD-SDI upgrade for the VP30. It's their own design. I have never seen it in action, but I suspect they're taking advantage of the deinterlacer card port.

- Collin

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
yes Belden 1694a with 75-ohm gold canare BNC's is the best there is IMHO and it doesn't cost all that much to buy one

why JVB came up with a HD-SDI input mod for the VP30 and not the VP50 is beyond me ?
maybe they started work on it long ago but it wasn't released until after the VP50 was out and about

-Gary

·
Premium Member
481 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] /forum/post/12889925

We, Anchor Bay and JVB Digital, (at least from my perspective) are working on providing a solution to our customers. That said, before releasing our HD-SDI Input Module we did extensive testing with HD-SDI broadcast-grade test equipment and we had no issues.

So where is the problem then? I mean if their equipment is compatible with all your competition's equipment.

It was a pretty big let down for me that the Blu-Ray player didnt work. I hope you guys can come up with some type of fix.

·
Registered
369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbas /forum/post/12892170

So where is the problem then? I mean if their equipment is compatible with all your competition's equipment.

It was a pretty big let down for me that the Blu-Ray player didnt work. I hope you guys can come up with some type of fix.

This wouldn't be the first time a sdi mod worked elsewhere but not on a dvdo solution. They tend to work very close to the spec where as some others use a slightly more adaptive solution. There is probably something off spec in the mod output, so dvdo aren't at fault they are just choosy.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
I am going to apologize to Josh and DVDO. For me to use the word 'unresponsive' in my post, it was not the correct term. I mis-read the email from JVB Digital and because I was probably pretty mad, I read into the email too much. I have re-read their response and I will post it here.

"Unfortunately WE found out that the VP50PRO (HD)SDI is causing problems on the (HD) sdi input.

in our compatibility list you can see that our HDSDI mod is compatible with all popular equipment.

This week we have discussed this with DVDO but so far without any result we can work with.

Because of that WE are working on a Hardware patch for the scaler, sinds WE have produced a HDSDI modification seven months ago for the VP30 ourselves

we have a pretty good idea what the problem with the VP50PRO (HD)SDI might be.

This will be tested next week, and will be offered ONLY to our current end-customers.

We suggest you also contact DVDO and mention your problem, perhaps they already found out what the problem is"

My apologies to Josh and DVDO.

Abbas

·
Registered
34 Posts
What is the relation between framerate and format?

I've set the format to 1080P/24 and I've locked all my framerate as follows:

24 - 24, 25 -25, 50 - 50 and 60 - 60 and it's work perfect with HD movies.

The problem starts when I'm playing my SD DVDs which are recorded at 576i/50.

The problem is that the format option is set to 1080P/24 (I'm getting black screen for a second every 3 minuttes).

When I'm playing my SD DVDs I've to configure the VP and set format to 1080P/50.

Is it possilbe to configure the VP to use 1080P/50 when I'm playing SD DVD's and 1080P/24 when I'm playing HD DVD and Blu-Ray?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
@Nightscope: you can use the auto output profile function for this one.

You simply safe a 1080p50 profile with 50in->50out and a 1080p24 profile with 24in-24out. Then you select a 576i50 source and choose the proper 1080p50 profile, after that you choose a 1080p24 source and select the 1080p24 profile. If auto profile is enabled the 50pro will remember the matching output profiles for each input, just as it remembers the picture settings etc.

·
Registered
230 Posts
[edited] Ooooh...! Thankfully no one had replied yet. This was really embarrassing. I found the solution to my problem, and it was embarrassingly simple... :blush: [/edited]

·
Registered
230 Posts
Does Barry Gordon's update utility work with the VP50Pro?

I was thinking of using it instead of Tera Term Pro, since that program has a few kinks and 'weirdnesses', and from what I've read, Barry's program is more stable and doesn't cause trouble. In addition to not being fuzzy about USB to Serial cable drivers etc.

So - has anyone tried it with the VP50Pro?

·
UHD Addict
38,235 Posts
I just purchased a Denon 3808 that allows bitstreaming of the advanced audio codecs. In pass through mode it seems to work with DD+ but I can't get it to pass Dolby TrueHD. It seems to stay stuck on that first audio track when the movie starts which is usually DD+. It worked fine with DTS-HD and MA but those discs that I tested also defaulted to those tracks at the beginning.

When I take the VP50 out of the loop it changes between formats without any problems.

Is this something that needs to be corrected with a firmware update? I figured in pass through mode it should work but for some reason it doesn't.

·
Registered
165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt /forum/post/12912391

I just purchased a Denon 3808 that allows bitstreaming of the advanced audio codecs. In pass through mode it seems to work with DD+ but I can't get it to pass Dolby TrueHD. It seems to stay stuck on that first audio track when the movie starts which is usually DD+. It worked fine with DTS-HD and MA but those discs that I tested also defaulted to those tracks at the beginning.

When I take the VP50 out of the loop it changes between formats without any problems.

Is this something that needs to be corrected with a firmware update? I figured in pass through mode it should work but for some reason it doesn't.

I think this requires a firmaware correction. Others have reported this too.

Have you tested Denon effects on the pq, any effects? How about the GUI overlay, i hope it does not loose HDMI handshake??

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have noticed that Pro loses deinterlacing setting sometimes for HDMI. I have selected video for my DVB digibox, but every now and then Pro changes it back to auto?? Has anybody else had similar issues?

·
UHD Addict
38,235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFinn /forum/post/12914377

I think this requires a firmaware correction. Others have reported this too.

Have you tested Denon effects on the pq, any effects? How about the GUI overlay, i hope it does not loose HDMI handshake??

I've had no problems with the HDMI handshake so far(I'm only on my second night with the 3808). I haven't noticed any effects on picture quality. But I really need to throw up some test patterns to check it out.

I was thinking that the firmware update might only be required when processing the video but I guess it might also need it with the pass through to properly bitstream the advanced codecs. At least I hope that's all it is.

·
Registered
191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt /forum/post/12912391

I just purchased an Onkyo PR-885 and I have connected all the components as follows:

source (PS3) - Onkyo - VP50 pro - projector

Of course Onkyo hdmi mode is set to "Pass Through" without making any processing. In that way, I don't have any issues with HD audio.

2221 - 2240 of 5962 Posts