AVS Forum banner

5901 - 5920 of 5962 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I purchased this one here from a UK seller on ebay and it works perfectly with my VP50. The same seller sells the same PS for the VP50 Pro as well. Took about 2 weeks to reach me on the US west coast. It cost about $24.

Or you can spend about $80 from Amazon US. The Amazon listing is the one DVDO tech support directed me to but they also said the one I found on ebay should work just as well, and it does.

Keenan, unfortunately Amazon US won't ship this product to Canada. And amazon Canada doesn't even carry it. I think I'll pursue this UK seller you eluded to. Is there anything to be aware of since the UK seller is 6V 5A vs. 7A?

·
Premium Member
35,131 Posts
Keenan, unfortunately Amazon US won't ship this product to Canada. And amazon Canada doesn't even carry it. I think I'll pursue this UK seller you eluded to. Is there anything to be aware of since the UK seller is 6V 5A vs. 7A?
I haven't had any problem with it, and if DVDO had said that it would not work I wouldn't have purchased it, but they did say it should be fine, and it has been, so far anyway.

Do you have a friend or relative in the US that can purchase the Amazon PS and then ship it to you? If you're concerned about the lower amperage of the UK PS that is.

P.S. I also have the SDI module on my VP50 though I don't know if it really adds any more load to the PS but everything works fine. And the new PS runs a lot cooler than the original also which I found rather interesting. Not sure if it means anything though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I haven't had any problem with it, and if DVDO had said that it would not work I wouldn't have purchased it, but they did say it should be fine, and it has been, so far anyway.

Do you have a friend or relative in the US that can purchase the Amazon PS and then ship it to you? If you're concerned about the lower amperage of the UK PS that is.

P.S. I also have the SDI module on my VP50 though I don't know if it really adds any more load to the PS but everything works fine. And the new PS runs a lot cooler than the original also which I found rather interesting. Not sure if it means anything though.
Unfortunately no friend/relative in US option for me. As it happens, I also have the SDI module on my VP50PRO. I only asked about the amperage because I absolutely have no clue. I thought there may be a reason why dvdo used the 7A as the power supply when selling the vp50pro. Just a bit uneasy about another power supply other the one that came with the unit. I'll continue my search and if can't get the 6V 7A, I'll probably have to go the 6V 5A route. Keenan, thank you for your info and direction.

·
Premium Member
35,131 Posts
Unfortunately no friend/relative in US option for me. As it happens, I also have the SDI module on my VP50PRO. I only asked about the amperage because I absolutely have no clue. I thought there may be a reason why dvdo used the 7A as the power supply when selling the vp50pro. Just a bit uneasy about another power supply other the one that came with the unit. I'll continue my search and if can't get the 6V 7A, I'll probably have to go the 6V 5A route. Keenan, thank you for your info and direction.
I would contact DVDO and see what they say, they actually responded within a day if I remember correctly, I was actually surprised at the quickness of the response.

·
Registered
47 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, it looks like my VP50pro is starting to die. I just noticed last night that the images are pixelated - like peoples faces have different layers representing color and depth. Really odd. Not something I've seen before when the power supply died, then it was just simply not turning on. Has anyone else seen this kind of video artifact starting on the VP50pro?

If so, were you able to get it fixed and where (I'm Seattle based). I use it for all my sources and then run the output through my Denon AVP and then to my JVC RS1 projector. I need the VP50pro as it allows me to control the curtains, anamorphic sense and the vertical stretch (since JVC didn't make a discrete remote code for the vert stretch on the PJ itself).

I now have everything running through the AVP which is fine and everything looks great - the only real problem is switching between 2.35:1 and 16:9 modes w/vert stretch.

Anyhow, any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi there,

I've just purchased a VP50 Pro on ebay and have immediately noticed an issue with it.

When initially switched on it will not power up. The power supply emits a high frequency noise and its led light is dim. If I unplug the power at the VP50 Pro end, the psu appears to work correctly, the noise is gone and the led is fully bright. When plugged back in the VP50 Pro powers on.

Probably an obvious question, but is likely to be the psu that's faulty? It appears to be the original one so it's pretty old by now. I want to rule out that the unit itself is at fault.

I've contacted the seller about it as it was sold with no faults, asking them to refund the cost of a new psu (£15 from ebay).

Many thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi there,

I've just purchased a VP50 Pro on ebay and have immediately noticed an issue with it.

When initially switched on it will not power up. The power supply emits a high frequency noise and its led light is dim. If I unplug the power at the VP50 Pro end, the psu appears to work correctly, the noise is gone and the led is fully bright. When plugged back in the VP50 Pro powers on.

Probably an obvious question, but is likely to be the psu that's faulty? It appears to be the original one so it's pretty old by now. I want to rule out that the unit itself is at fault.

I've contacted the seller about it as it was sold with no faults, asking them to refund the cost of a new psu (£15 from ebay).

Many thanks.

Sounds like the PSU is faulty, check it with a multi meter and make sure it's outputing the right current and voltage.

It's important to do so when it comes to chinese PSU, so you'll make sure your unit does recieve what it needs.

As mentionned above there's a lot of chinese ebay PSU's but i can't recommend any of these (mine last two days and broke)
When you upscale, deinterlace or execute some more features, the DVDO will required 5A or slightly more depending on what you're asking.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks Joshua,

The seller's agreed to pay for a replacement psu so I've got one ordered, I'll have to take a chance on an ebay special. I won't plug the old one back in again.

I'll take on board what you've said and keep an eye on psu temp.

·
Premium Member
35,131 Posts
Thanks Joshua,

The seller's agreed to pay for a replacement psu so I've got one ordered, I'll have to take a chance on an ebay special. I won't plug the old one back in again.

I'll take on board what you've said and keep an eye on psu temp.
When the PS went bad on my VP50 I purchased one from the below seller and it's worked great. I have since sold the VP50 but the buyer to date has not had any problems with it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6V-5A-AC-DC-Power-Supply-PSU-for-DVDO-iScan-VP50-High-Definition-Video-Processor-/120988190417?hash=item1c2b7546d1

·
Premium Member
35,131 Posts
Sounds like the PSU is faulty, check it with a multi meter and make sure it's outputing the right current and voltage.
This doesn't always work unless you can duplicate the load the VP would put on the PS. I tried this as well when mine went bad and it showed the exact output it was supposed to, yet the VP wouldn't work properly. A new PS solved the problem.

·
Banned
34,843 Posts
I have a VP50 in perfect condition I haven't used in years.
Can I trade it in with DVDO or does someone around here wanna buy it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
This doesn't always work unless you can duplicate the load the VP would put on the PS. I tried this as well when mine went bad and it showed the exact output it was supposed to, yet the VP wouldn't work properly. A new PS solved the problem.
You're totally right. However when you don't know such things, trying the PSU with a multimeter first could be a good start.
I have absolutely no idea on how to duplicate the load of a device to test a PSU with a multimeter properly!

Hope it's not off topic, but i would love to know that ! :D

·
Premium Member
35,131 Posts
You're totally right. However when you don't know such things, trying the PSU with a multimeter first could be a good start.
I have absolutely no idea on how to duplicate the load of a device to test a PSU with a multimeter properly!

Hope it's not off topic, but i would love to know that ! :D
After I tried the multi-meter test and it didn't tell me anything I emailed DVDO and the tech indicated that the behavior I was seeing sounded very much like a bad power supply. He directed me to the DVDO branded PS on Amazon, but I went with the one from acadapter-r-us as it was 1/5 the cost and the company seem to have a good reputation. I checked the specs with the DVDO tech and he said it should work just fine and it did. For the $15-$20 the PS cost if was worth taking the chance that it was the problem and it turns out it was. Trying to put a proper load on the power supply while testing with the meter was beyond my capabilities anyway(as in, I have no idea how to do that anyway!) :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
After I tried the multi-meter test and it didn't tell me anything I emailed DVDO and the tech indicated that the behavior I was seeing sounded very much like a bad power supply. He directed me to the DVDO branded PS on Amazon, but I went with the one from acadapter-r-us as it was 1/5 the cost and the company seem to have a good reputation. I checked the specs with the DVDO tech and he said it should work just fine and it did. For the $15-$20 the PS cost if was worth taking the chance that it was the problem and it turns out it was. Trying to put a proper load on the power supply while testing with the meter was beyond my capabilities anyway(as in, I have no idea how to do that anyway!) :D
Okay!

It's good to know that some 6V/5A PSUs can be found cheap and they work good aswell.
However i have an issue with my VPxx (I have 30 & 50). I have some problems when i try to update the devices.

I should have created a new thread for it because nobody answers to the VP 30 topic. Anyway it's here
If you can have a look at the 3 last posts where I detail every step I went through, could be cool.
Also i'm discussing about my issue with Ken Nguyen from DVDO but no real solutions has been found so far.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Are the generic 6V/5A PSUs really working well on the 50Pro ? The original on is rated with 7A, which is quite a bit more power and I fear the 5A ones (which run fine with a VP30/50 non-pro) could run too hot on the 50Pro.

·
Premium Member
35,131 Posts
Are the generic 6V/5A PSUs really work well on the 50Pro ? The original on is rated with 7A, which is quite a bit more power and I fear the 5A ones (which run fine with a VP30/50 non-pro) could run too hot on the 50Pro.
That would concern me as well, I had a VP50 and Ken Nguyen at DVDO said the one I selected would work just fine for my unit. For the VP50 Pro, I would contact him and see what he says, that UK outfit where I got mine might even have a higher amperage unit.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
that UK outfit where I got mine might even have a higher amperage unit.
unfortunately not. In general 5A is quite the maximum you can easily find. 6V/6A or even 7A are *really* hard to come by.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have a VP50 in perfect condition I haven't used in years.
Can I trade it in with DVDO or does someone around here wanna buy it?
I might be interested in this. I'm trying to determine if a VP50 will allow me to resize a 2.40 movie so that it fits perfectly (with no image spillover) on my 2.35 screen.

I zoom the 2.40 movie to full height and the image spillover on the left and right side borders (about 1.25" per side) is distracting. I have a electric screen so there is no velvet to absorb the light spill.

Will the VP50 do that with no problem? Will it pass picture information without loss to my SONY 600ES projector? Is the PRO version an older or newer model. Is there anything I should be concerned about regarding HDMI 1.3 functionality?

I know all of these units are discontinued but if it can do this single task with no signal degradation then I'm in!

·
Banned
242 Posts
I doubt there is a scaler / processor out there that dont add some loss to the signal, but it might not be anything you notice if you dont know what to look for.

5901 - 5920 of 5962 Posts