AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my new DVE DVD and ran through the calibration using my Bravo DVD Player attached via DVI putting out 720p. The video material at the beginning of the disk looks fantastic.

I ran into some confusion using the Grey Ramp test pattern. I set the brightness using the Grey with pluge test pattern (3 bars on each side of a 4 grey large bar) to the point where I could just see the outmost bars.

The contrast is where I couldn't figure out what to do. They say on DLP's you sould use the grey ramp pattern (2 rows of bars that go from white to grey to black), but I really couldn't tell what it was supposed to look like.

Does anyone have a good write up of what the grey ramp pattern should look like?

Thanks,

Rob

·
Registered
845 Posts
Man, I haven't received mine yet. Did you order yours through home theater mag with the dts sampler too?

I have had a chance to use this disc while at Joe Kane's seminar, and as I remember, he added two opposing stair step patterns, so you could see 0% & 100% in one spot. You will need the step pattern, not the ramp for this one. You want to adjust the contrast so that the steps going up, do so in equal amplitude as they reach the 100% window. You know that you have gone too far, when the top two bars become the same, so then back down until it looks like the in between shade of the step above and below. Then do the same thing for the blacks, with the brightness adjustment. You may have to go back and forth, but it is well worth it.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Mine shipped on thursday....waiting

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Hey Seth,

Can you post a Chapter number or something with this stairstep pattern when you get your copy of DVE? I got mine yesterday via Amazon sans the DTS Sampler.

Thanks,

Jeff

Quote:
Originally posted by SethS
Man, I haven't received mine yet. Did you order yours through home theater mag with the dts sampler too?

I have had a chance to use this disc while at Joe Kane's seminar, and as I remember, he added two opposing stair step patterns, so you could see 0% & 100% in one spot. You will need the step pattern, not the ramp for this one. You want to adjust the contrast so that the steps going up, do so in equal amplitude as they reach the 100% window. You know that you have gone too far, when the top two bars become the same, so then back down until it looks like the in between shade of the step above and below. Then do the same thing for the blacks, with the brightness adjustment. You may have to go back and forth, but it is well worth it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.