AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,121 Posts
Hi,


So in some respects the DTV PLUS DVR is getting closer to the features UTV has been offering for years.


(DTV+) vs (UTV)

90min buffer vs 2-hour

FF twice as fast as Tivo vs 300x


Both allow you to watch a show while checking previous recordings.


UTV has a hard coded 30 second skip forward button.


Not sure I like the 60 hrs of reserved hard drive space for DTV... 100hrs for me. UTV may not allow 100hrs of "actual" recordings, BUT I don't have a large chunk of my Hard Drive outside my recording control.


No mention of PIP access on DTV+.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgodave
Hi,


So in some respects the DTV PLUS DVR is getting closer to the features UTV has been offering for years.


(DTV+) vs (UTV)

90min buffer vs 2-hour

FF twice as fast as Tivo vs 300x


Both allow you to watch a show while checking previous recordings.


UTV has a hard coded 30 second skip forward button.


Not sure I like the 60 hrs of reserved hard drive space for DTV... 100hrs for me. UTV may not allow 100hrs of "actual" recordings, BUT I don't have a large chunk of my Hard Drive outside my recording control.


No mention of PIP access on DTV+.
I agree, I don' t like the idea of D* using HD space to download PPV I probably won't watch.


No, I don't think they're going to have PIP, but that maybe something they could add in the future, although not sure if they will since none of the Tivo users don't have the PIP feature, none of them realize how nice it is to be able to watch 2 shows at once. I use my PIP all the time, its nice for sports. Its a shame too since all of the cable DVR's have PIP.


I think Ultimate TV had it right from the start, with PIP to the easy user interface. Its just too bad that Microsoft had to pull the plug, they really could have expanded on it and gave Tivo a run for its money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,121 Posts
Hi,


Still could if they "jazzed" it up giving it a "2005/6" makeover.


A UltimateTV II with Home Network Access (like MSNTV II?), and some of the expansion and extras that UTV might have been (could be) capable of. It's been a while since I've checked out the latest DVRs but a DVD/DVR with multi-format read and recording capability would be really cool. It could replace your CD/DVD/MP3 Devices and with Home Network access it might even be able to do a lot more then UTV has ever done.


Only problem is MS let the boat sail, and DTV is now doing it's own thing. Any UTV II would have to be a more universal device and I'm not seeing how it could really break into Tivo's Market without a backer like DTV or some other company (the big cable companies) to bring it back into the mainstream. (Was UTV ever mainstream? When I was buying them up in 2002... it seem no one was buying even when they were costing $50-$100. Tivos I think where still in the $300-$400 range easy. UTVs should have flown off the shelves of my local CC,BB, and RSs... but they hung around for some time, got my last one around March 2003. By that summer Radio Shack had "destroyed" it's remaining stock.)


Later,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygh
Argh, no 30-sec jump button :(
What I saw was, "can it skip over ads" with the answer no. To me, 30 sec jump is much more than just skipping ads. And w/o that, I'd never get one.


But, there was a prior posting of what appeared to be a user guide and there was talk of a "forward" button. Maybe this is a 30 sec skip. Maybe they were talking about no "automatic ad skip" feature that some other dvrs have had in the past.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket
What I saw was, "can it skip over ads" with the answer no. To me, 30 sec jump is much more than just skipping ads. And w/o that, I'd never get one.


But, there was a prior posting of what appeared to be a user guide and there was talk of a "forward" button. Maybe this is a 30 sec skip. Maybe they were talking about no "automatic ad skip" feature that some other dvrs have had in the past.
Theres no 30 second skip button, but you can still use the fast forward button to scan through commercials. They want to make it harder for us to skip the ads.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theratpatrol
Theres no 30 second skip button, but you can still use the fast forward button to scan through commercials. They want to make it harder for us to skip the ads.
Can I inquire how you know this? All I've seen was a somewhat detailed pdf file which did not mention a 30 sec skip, but did mention

Quote:
Cruise Controls: The PAUSE, FFWD, REWIND, REPLAY, RECORD and ADVANCE keys work with recorded programs just as they do with live TV.
What's the advance if there's also a FFWD? And, with this section:

Quote:
Bookmarks: “Bookmarks†are a way of keeping track of places in a program you’d like to jump to quickly. You can set Bookmarks in a recorded program by pressing PAUSE then the GREEN key. They can be deleted by pressing PAUSE, then the DASH key. You can jump to Bookmarks by pressing and holding the FFWD key to move forward, or the REWIND key to move back, or via the Quick Menu. (See Chapter 4)
we can presume the advance key isn't to skip to chapters.


But then what is record going to do during playback? Unless they took my suggestion that it could be a quick way to get right to the delete confirm dialog.


For me, skipping ads is only part of the deal. I use it to go from play to play on football. Or to skip past the credits of a movie I paid for. I'd go to cable before I'd give up this feature. W/O it, you're back to a vcr w/o the tape.


And maybe there's a backdoor code. Does anyone actually have one yet?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,592 Posts
The advance key probably works the same as the similar button on the TiVo. It it jumps you to the live portion of a delayed program. It's also the same button people hack into a 30 second skip button.


Since that backdoor item is going away on TiVo, I would assume it won't be available at all on this DVR.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV
The advance key probably works the same as the similar button on the TiVo. It it jumps you to the live portion of a delayed program. It's also the same button people hack into a 30 second skip button.


Since that backdoor item is going away on TiVo, I would assume it won't be available at all on this DVR.
Link?
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top