AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, now that it appears that more people are reporting difficulties with their E80s here's one that I've yet to see on this forum-

I've been recording to the HD, heavy duty since september, mostly in FR mode and have experienced this a couple times.

I try to hi-speed dub a certain program to dvd-r. go throught the steps and it starts dubbing. then suddenly, 'dubbing has failed' and the machine exits the dubbing function into neutral mode. naturally my first reaction was 'bad disc!' but no. if there's a disc issue it gives the usual warning and you have a chance to recover and replace the disc. but this just outright quit dubbing.

i tried dubbing other programs to the disc and no problems. disc is fine. so i replaced the disc multiple times and IT WOULDNT DUB THAT PARTICULAR PROGRAM. it simply refused to spit that program onto a disc, no matter how many times disc was changed. these are ritek G3s.

so i say, oh hell, and re-record the program to the HD (VHS->HD). the exact same source in the same FR time (2:45 or so). once that's done, try dubbing it to one of the discs it wouldnt dub to previously.

voila, it dubs, no problems.

so i sit there, wondering. and wondering. then it hits me- that particular program was heavily edited after being recorded to HD i.e., lopped off commercials, unfunny jokes, etc. machine gun edits ('shorten segment')anywhere from 2 seconds to 15 minutes of duration material chopped off to it's final running time of 30 minutes or so. again, this wasnt just lopping off bookends of the program at beginning & end. this was edits all over the place within that 1 program.

i thought 'this cant be', but am sitting on another one of these right now. it happens rarely, but it happens. conclusion- the machine is sometimes unable to dub to -r, certain programs which have a large number of random edits. you know those edits that pause, instead of playing seamlessly? dozens of those peppered within a 30-minute session can halt dubbing it seems. a real pain in the butt, but survivable.

anybody else?

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
is it really because of the edits or could it have been from a bad capture causing the dubbing process to choke on some data.

When it happens again, you should try to dub to a RAM (high speed), if that works, erase the program from the hard drive, record something else and then dub back to the hard drive and try dubbing to a DVD-R then.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Well, if you still have that particular program, can you send to DVD-RAM, then back to the hard drive, and still reproduce the problem?

If so, you may be able to tell Panasonic about the problem and hopefully they could fix it?!? (..at least in a future version which I realize wouldn't directly help you)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Well, s__t happens. Out of maybe 100 dubbings, only 2 failed completely. The rest were due to bad discs, mainly Verbatim. When the dubs failed and the machine wouldn't dub even after trying a second time, I threw the disc away and tried another--always 100% success the second time. If I used Sony, Panasonic, or Memorex brand DVD-R blanks, I had NO problems at all. I didn't feel that I had to start complaining just because of a few bad experiences. Perhaps a bad edit, or maybe a hobglobin. Who knows? I will tell you that I have been so pleased with Panasonic, when the E85 comes out, I will get one of those too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.