Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 The Digital Bits

"we've got word that DVD International's much-lauded and highly-useful Video Essentials DVD is soon to be no more. The disc, which is used to properly calibrate your home theater equipment to maximize your picture and sound quality, has been discontinued. But don't fret, because on November 14th, it's being replaced by Digital Video Essentials. The new disc will SRP for only $24.99 (the original Video Essentials carried a hefty $49.99 price tag). Created by Joe Kane Productions, the disc will be the first ever created using true "Progressive Mastering". It will reportedly contain far more information that the original Video Essentials, and will be easier to use. It will still feature all of the calibration patterns we've come to rely on here at the Bits, along with a wealth of new demonstration material and new programs on Dolby Digital and DTS sound. Both NTSC and PAL versions will be produced, and localized versions will be available in German, French, Spanish, Italian, Korean, Japanese and Portuguese. Joe Kane is nothing if not a crusader for quality and a stickler for detail, so I fully expect this disc will live up to the hype."

it can be preordered here.

------------------
ADebars>
Mitsubishi WT-46807 Widescreen HDTVs>
JVC XV-S65 Progressive Scan DVD Players>
Mitsubishi SR-HD400 HDTV Decoders>
DirecTV HDs>
My DVDs - DVD Profilers>

Danger! Danger! Danger!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thanks for the information, ADebar.

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Joe Kane talked about working on this in some depth in an interview in HDTV Magazine some weeks back, which we've been asked not to quote here, so I didn't http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif . He's convinced that HD DVD is incipient. I think he's crazy.

-- Mike Scott

·
Registered
799 Posts
This title is available for pre-order at Amazon.com at $18.74.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Michael-

Why do you believe that HD DVD is *NOT* incipient(Beginning to appear, although I think you meant impending). I've never seen anyone talk about this. Is there a reason there arent HD DVD players out right now? (Progressive doesnt count, Im talking about 1080i players).

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by policy:
Is there a reason there arent (sic) HD DVD players out right now?
Hmm, maybe the MPAA? After all, if they're willing to stall the DTV transition over copy protection, why would they embrace HD DVD? Why not keep DVD around for about ten more years then make everyone buy their libraries of movies again on HD DVD?

Jim

------------------

Let me get this straight, this show is hi-def and 5.1, but my local affiliate makes it crappy NTSC and mono?!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Quote:
Michael-

Is there a reason there arent HD DVD players out right now? (Progressive doesnt count, Im talking about 1080i players).
Several manufacturers demonstrated HD DVD players at last year's CES, but said they had no plans yet to manufacture them. I believe it was still impossible to get the cost down (they also probably would like as many people as possible to buy SD players, and then have them switch).

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Quote:
Michael-

Why do you believe that HD DVD is *NOT* incipient(Beginning to appear, although I think you meant impending). I've never seen anyone talk about this. Is there a reason there arent HD DVD players out right now? (Progressive doesnt count, Im talking about 1080i players).
Thanks for the correction--it's a subtlety, but I like to use the language correctly.

As JimboG stated, the studios are having a hard time accepting this brave new digital world. As with any technology that increases quality, the opportunities for new sales are huge, but the risk of loss of control of distribution of IP is larger than ever before--well, the risk was just as high with SD DVD, and look at what happened to CSS. All this elaborate 1394/DTCP and DVI/HDCP protection looks good on paper, but how well it will work in the field is anyone's guess. Even the creators of those mechanisms admit that they are not proof against determined professional attack--they just think that people with the expertise and means to mount those attacks will be rare enough to be dealt with through due diligence and legal prosecution. Are they right? Who knows? Would you bet your fortune and the fortunes of your corporation's employees and investors on it?

At least with copy-protected broadcast HD, they can stick their toe in the water and test it, without the huge investment of printing and distributing HD discs. Of course, should they get ripped off big-time despite the copy-protection, they'll really have pissed the early-adoption crowd off.

-- Mike Scott

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
The main reason you haven't seen HD-DVD is the new technology required.

Pioneer, the leader in LD technology, is rapidly pursuing HD-DVD. They were one of the companies showing prototypes at CES. I met with Pioneer at CEDIA two weeks ago, and though they don't have a planned release date yet, I would expect to see a product from them in the next 12 months, or less.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Wouldn't there be agreed-upon spec's for HD DVD a year

before they were manufacturered? I haven't heard about

any specs being suggested for a standardized HD DVD

format.

·
Registered
703 Posts
They will not think about making them until 2 things happen.

1. The MPAA will agree (at least 1 or 2 major studios) to alow movies on them

2. Enough HD Sets are in public hands.

#2 is the big one in my book. The reason why DVD has taken off so fast is becuase practially EVERYONE with a TV can use it right away and can see the benefits righat away. That gives the consumer electronics manufactuers a target audience of about 50 million homes. (maybe more). How many homes have HD capable sets? 500,000 - 1,000,000 Its just not enough able consumers for a manufactuer to set up a line and produce a piece of electronics.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
The major thing holding up any sort of HD DVD is a mass produce-able long-life blue-spectrum laser.

Sure the electronics companies want MPAA 'approval', but really all they need is one major studio willing to produce software. That's really how DVD started. As the market grows, all the others will want a piece of the action eventually, regardless of copy-protection issues.

Lost revenue through pirating is one thing, but no revenue is entirely another http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

John Golitsis

Next Big Thing Electronics

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
www.nbtelectronics.com

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
That explains why they just had a $15 blow out with free shipping via DVDTalk.

------------------

"I want my HDTV Set!"

·
Registered
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JoeFloyd:
This title can be pre-ordered at Buy.com for $15.99 + 1.95 shipping.
I did a search and it returned a page that had a link for "Pre-order". When I clicked on it, I got the following message:

"The URL you requested from our site could not be found.

The page may have been moved during our site redesign, or it may no longer exist."

------------------

Tom

Sony SAT-T60 DirecTc>ic>Vc>oc>f> w/2.5 (126 hours)

Sony SAT-T60 DirecTc>ic>Vc>oc>f> w/2.5

Sony SAN-24MD 24" elliptical dish

·
Registered
171 Posts
And when I searched the buy.com site for Digital Video Essentials, I got this:

>>Sorry, this product is no longer sold at the buy.com website<<

However, Bestprices.com has it available for pre-order for US$14.51 plus shipping at $3.50.

------------------

--speedy

[This message has been edited by speedlever (edited 09-21-2001).]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.