AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,

Recently bought a 500 watt Dayton plate amp on a clearance deal.

To establish a baseline I have a roughly 500 sq great room with odd angles and need to power the space for about $300 more dollars MAX.

I have every tool imaginable and as a former machinist the skills are not lacking either.

What I'm considering is either Ultimax 15" or the Titanic 15" MK4 since its on sale currently at PE. But am open to any other suggestions.

To port or not to port?

(will separate plate from sub chamber since I read on here they are leaky)

Size is not a terrible concern thought don't see myself being bothered to build a tuba style box or anything over 10" cube.

Placement will depend on size but I do have a vast space behind my lazy boy, or couch end table type space, or a good size space across the room in the dining area to propagate a nice wave if need be, the great room looks like the letter L if the short side swapped with the long.

Anyways, I've done enough reading here and elsewhere to know this rig will probably not impress any true enthusiast but I'd like to get as much as possible out of the rig. I like to "feel" the bass.

My listening concerns are 95% gaming centric, but I do enjoy action movies and occasionally will pipe up the Internet radio on my Pioneer VSX 1022k and listen to everything from dubstep to metal. (the rest of the speakers are Bose bookshelfs in the front, and 201s in the rear with a 20 year old center channel that might as well be 2 strings and a cup but I'll address those next year (tax return spender here)

Anyways, I'm sure I'll throw more money at it later, but for now. $300 is what's left In the budget. (already have plywood and mdf in my workshop so not a cost concern)

Any tips would be great to make the most out of my paltry budget.

I droned on a bit, sorry for the wall of text.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Interesting design, I could certainly engineer that style to my optimal VAS and port length tuning with a little math.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Teaza  /t/1521697/new-enthusiast-needs-advice#post_24458751

What I'm considering is either Ultimax 15" or the Titanic 15" MK4 since its on sale currently at PE. But am open to any other suggestions.

To port or not to port?
Model them in both sealed and ported and see for yourself the difference in response and maximum SPL. For the most part if you have a smaller room, no more than 20 feet in the longest dimension, cabin gain will aid in the first octave and you can use sealed. In a larger room with no cabin gain you either need to go ported or you need to use at least twice as many sealed to get equivalent maximum SPL below 30Hz.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

No idea how to do that Bill but I guess some creative googling on this site should prove fruitful I reckon. 

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Teaza  /t/1521697/new-enthusiast-needs-advice#post_24459999

No idea how to do that Bill but I guess some creative googling on this site should prove fruitful I reckon. 
Learning how to use box design programs like WinISD Alpha Pro is the first step in learning how to design speakers. It's the only way to be able to accurately predict how a given driver/enclosure/room combination will work without wasting lots of time and plywood. Until you get up to speed with it others may help you out with some calcs. One thing you want to do is determine if you want to go ported or sealed based on room dimensions, then choose the driver based on that, as most drivers work better in one or the other.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

The tuba designs look insanely impressive, unfortunately I think I'd have to locate something like that in my adjacent office and cut a port in the wall in order to use it. Now that's tempting but it might annoy my very, let me rephrase, extremely tolerant and understanding wife lol. Being retired and living in the country I can put out as much noise as I want during the daytime while she's at work and my youngin is at school, but I am strongly considering a remote "gain" potentiometer so I can turn the sucker down to near zilch at night.

Anyhow thanks for the lilmike and bill's tuba design suggestions. I'll ponder the wall mods, it's not completely cataclysmic since I plan to cut the AV cabinet shelf into that wall anyhow, once they release the Kinect 2.0 extension cables.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Teaza  /t/1521697/new-enthusiast-needs-advice#post_24460814

The tuba designs look insanely impressive, unfortunately I think I'd have to locate something like that in my adjacent office and cut a port in the wall in order to use it.
FWIW I don't even use a THT myself, I have a Table Tuba, and no WAF in the equation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Hi folks, I'm now finished remodeling my living room (painting and new Pergo floors) Sound quality in general went up, I guess I like reverb, definitely increased the volume.

Anyhow as was suggested I downloaded and installed winisd pro. Input my data for the subwoofer, (took a few tries, didn't realize I had to change units of measure on certain parameters).

When all was said and done though. I really don't know what the bleep I'm looking at.

I started tinkering around with box sizes (wouldn't allow me to check out ported size in alpha?)

And I don't know exactly what I am looking for as a result.

My goal is initially to create a simple sealed enclosure for now, and in the fall/winter when my income spikes I'll build a granite top coffee table subwoofer enclosure which will surely blow away the sealed box performance wise. (possibly integrate it in a couch design I'm bouncing around in my head...)

For the moment could someone just advise me what I'm looking for in winisd on the box design page?

Main use of the system will be gaming but Blu Ray watching is where I want the ideal sound at.

Let me know any data you need, and if you want the winisd file I made for the Titanic MK4 I can ******* it or something. (didn't see a file upload here when making this thread)

Sorry guys, I tried but I just really have no clue how to use the graph tool to optimize, yeah I'm fairly ignorant in this stuff. The rudimentary knowledge I have tells me that due to room gain? there's a sweet spot I should be looking for regarding the 20hz range? I don't know I'm a noob admittedly.

Key things for now keeping the box manageably small, and getting that nice deep feel during war movie explosions and FPS videogames.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts