AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 2311 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
from what art say IQ in 2D of 3100 can have a good improvement compared with 8350.

if this is true the epson 3100 is a very very nice that isnt just a epson 8350 with 3D but was just a first impression from Art so better to be not very excited (like happen with optoma HD33)

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
No thanks, I'll pass.

Having a set of glasses for my Samsung D7000 LED and another set of glasses for a projector is a non-starter.

·
Registered
Epson 5040UB projector, Denon 6300, 7.1.4 setup, M&K THX speakers and SVS subwoofer
3,347 Posts
Having lens memory for 2.35 ratio like the competing Panny has would be great for the 5010/6010, didn't see any mention of it in the article though...

·
Registered
717 Posts
Greetings, Yep, these are pretty much all new projectors, starting with they are using the new series of D9 panels that run at 480hz. New cabinet new optics I believe on the lower cost 3010s with, I think 1.6:1 or 1.8:1 zoom, but I don't have full specs. I'm pretty sure it was one of those, down from 2.1:1. Still, it's one hell of a lot easier to make a great, and bright 1.6:1 than a 2.1:1 zoom.

None of them are ready yet, but I'm always amazed what happens in the last 30-45 days between engineering samples, and even the final pre-production units, let alone full production... I think Epson may have hit the motherload with the two 3010s... Of course the 5010, will be more than the old 8700UB (has to be... figure it competes directly with the panny. so this way, they have a projector that should have improved blacks (and brightness) over the 8350... expanding the line, plus the 3D.

This is going to be one fun fall. I even hear Epson will again be showing the 61000, the reflective LCD projector that they announced last year, but disappeared into a black hole. If that's the case, Epson's replacing two projectors - the 8700UB and 9700UB, with, count them at least six models with the 61000 included, given that some are just variations of features. -art

·
Registered
717 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeCourtney /forum/post/20899533

Any chance the 5010 will be priced around $2000 like the 8700?

I sure wouldn't expect that. Think this way. Panasonic set their price in the $3K - $3.5K (MAP and MSRP). I don't think in 4 generations of Epson "UB" projectors (counting the 5010 as a UB), that they have ever been more than +/- $200 of the Panasonic, and typically, they are the higher of the two. (you can rationalize it just on warranty and support).

And that is no doubt why there are the new 3010's. Not UB contrast but, more improvement, over, say the 8350/8100. (3D too, of course).

-art I'm dying to get the 5010 in for review. If they clean it up, beautifully, I'll probably buy one, based on what I saw. Anyone need a used JVC?

I'm a 3D fan, and I saw every under $15K 3D projector last year but for one JVC, and I wouldn't buy any, due to limited brightness for 3D. For those of us who are big fans of 3D (and I'm more into it for non-movies, than movies), these new Epson's and Panasonic look to be the first one's bright enough for me to consider. (That is assuming you don't spend for a $70K Runco, or some lower but still hefty priced projectiondesigns, and Digital Projection projectors.

As a reviewer, I thought last year was the most boring collection of retuned retreads, with only a few seriously new projectors. It was almost depressing. This year, though, is going to be a blast...

Have fun, choose wisely, and remember - it's about the content, not the toys... (ok, it's part about the toys) -art

·
Registered
717 Posts
Greetings all,

A couple of things: The title of this thread has the model numbers all wrong. Can someone at AVS correct that, so not to confuse people? the 1 and the first zero are reversed. Here are the model numbers:

Home Cinema 3010

Home Cinema 3010e

Home Cinema 5010

Home Cinema 5010e

Pro Cinema 6010

While I could be wrong (I'm not) those were the numbers right on the projectors...

someone asked about lens shift on the 3010 series. I must confess, I just don't recall whether they had lens shift. It was a very busy day playing with the projectors, but I was mostly focused on performance. I must confess I barely even looked at the menus, but did see a lot of content... Yes the 5010 and 6010 definitely do have lens shift.

-art

I'll check back with the Epson folks, and update the 3010 and 3010e "first looks" on my site. (I've got my fingers crossed, too.)

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
At last! A reason to upgrade my Epson 6100!!!

·
Registered
3,842 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by presenter /forum/post/20899620

someone asked about lens shift on the 3010 series. I must confess, I just don't recall whether they had lens shift. It was a very busy day playing with the projectors, but I was mostly focused on performance. I must confess I barely even looked at the menus, but did see a lot of content... Yes the 5010 and 6010 definitely do have lens shift.

-art

I can't see any reason they wouldn't have lens shift.

·
Registered
717 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 /forum/post/20898235

Having lens memory for 2.35 ratio like the competing Panny has would be great for the 5010/6010, didn't see any mention of it in the article though...

Hi, the problem with lens memory, relative to the Epson's is that they aren't motorized. In almost all cases, you need all three, zoom, lens shift, then focus to be motorized. You can do it by hand with any projector that has about a 1.5:1 zoom range or more, although if only 1.5:1, you'll virtually have to place it exactly at one distance, plus a few inches. - art

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm jumping on the HC3010 with no hesitation if it has lens shift. I really do like the flexibility of having lens shift... if they don't have it, then I'll have to think long and hard and consider some mounting adjustments for current setup.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by presenter /forum/post/20899620

Greetings all,

A couple of things: The title of this thread has the model numbers all wrong. Can someone at AVS correct that, so not to confuse people?

Oops. Sorry about that. Yes, please correct them!

1 - 20 of 2311 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.