AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been planning to get a projector for our family room and we are hoping to keep the costs reasonable. Unfortunately, the room is really long and the only place that i'm "allowed" to put the projector will require both a 2:1 zoom and vertical & horizontal lens shift. The throw will need to be approximately 20-21' and the screen is limited to approximately 100", give or take. And my room has blinds, but is definitely not light controlled. I'm looking to get some black out shades eventually. I'm not really looking to watch during the day, but evening and night viewing.

This limits me to the Pannys, Epsons and JVCs.

If I were to go up to a little over 2k, I'd get the 5010/5020 and be done with it, but I'm really trying to keep the projector down where it "reads" around 1000.

I have an opportunity to purchase a used JVC with 100h on a new bulb as well as an extra new bulb for around 1000, and the epson 8350 is around the same range.

Has anyone compared these two? I've tried to find reviews, but most reviews only compare the JVC to the higher end Epsons. I've read a few reviews that said that while the total light output from the JVC isn't rated as high, when calibrated they are actually closer together.

Should I be concerned with getting a used older JVC with 900h total on it?

Thanks,

GK

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
There had been some issues with early lamp dimming on the jvc, I dunno if the newer lamps had that corrected, and a related post. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1223098/please-post-experience-of-jvc-hd750-350-550-950-bulb-lifetime-lamp-brightness-drop/690#post_21081689

You might have to go through 2 lamps before you change the one in the Epson, and your also getting a used pj, vs one with a warranty. Epson has been a little hit or miss with good convergence, but pretty good support. You might consider a little higher gain screen with the Epson, say around 1.3. Image wise, the jvc might be a little better? If you can fudge the screen size and or the throw distance some, the Benq 7000 might be an option at around $1700?

Hopefully someone else can add an opinion, but if it were me, I'd try to save a little more money for a 5020.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's probably what I'll end up doing... or trying to get a really good deal on the 5010, there doesn't seem to be a lot to separate the two of them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.