Resolution: 1280X720

Brightness: 1300 Ansi Lumens

Contrast: 800:1

Lens: 1,5X zoom, short throw

Image processor: Pixelworks 8bit DNX

Inputs: Composite, S-video, Component (3X rca), VGA (Dsub15), HDMI

Control inputs: USB, RS232C

Horizontal and vertical lens shift

Price: 3000euros (not sure if it's MSRP and for which country. If it is for Greece then expect it around 2500euros for countries like Germany and France).

Also worthy of mentioning is the ability to adjust yellow, magenta and cyan in addition to red, green and blue. Its appearance is identical to the other new Epson, the TW10. All of the above come from the September issue of the greek Sound and Vision magazine, where the TW200 was reviewed, quite favorably I might add.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
While the bump in light output is really nice for those with large and/or low gain screens (myself included), it is disappointing that the CR spec remains unchanged. I am not sure how this is going to compete with the Sony HS20 with its higher CR, resolution, 12 bit colour, and MLA. At least the Epson has lens shift. In any event, the short throw puts the Epson out of the running as a replacement projector for my home theater.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I agree. This is a little disappointing. I had really high hopes for this unit. I need a shorter throw and I'm not sure yet that the HS20 will work so I was really looking forward to this one. I'm keeping my finger crossed that maybe that CR is a little conservative...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had high hopes too and I also believe that the CR is a bit conservative. I had the chance to talk with the reviewer of the TW200 (editor in chief of the above mentioned magazine and with great experience in projectors) and he was quite enthusiastic about it. Although I mentioned the Sanyo Z2, he told me that the Epson outperforms it. Unfortunately at the time I wasn't aware of the Epson's CR, so I didn't press the issue. At least we'll have a short wait since the magazine claims that the projector will be available in Europe in October.

Sidenote: You might be aware that the D4 series panels include a 1920X1080 version. According to the magazine Epson will present the TW500 featuring that panel and aiming at the Sony Qualia offering. Hmm, maybe I should tell the >5K boys about it ;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Eriko, what about HDMI =)

Also the European version will include scart

http://www.projected.co.uk/epson/epson-tw200.jpg

However 8bit pixelwork video processsor ?! 10 bits Okey, 12 bits, now we talking.

As with any thresholding, color quantization lowers the signal-to-noise ratio, the smallest jitter can show up across any threshold if the jitter is across the right boundary. So the lower you drop the color count, the more indistinguishable noise and edges are. It also becomes harder to tell gradients and edges apart. On 8-bit video solutions you dropping to 256 colors and is most definitely NOT going to help edge detection.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
[QUOTENice a TW100 with more light

Just what we needed (not) [/QUOTE}

I think projector manufacturer's are doing themselves a favour by producing very bright projectors since they are more versatile than dim projectors. A bright projector is more suitable for large and/or low gain screens. It also makes them better able to deal with ambient light. For those with small and/or high gain screens and dark rooms slap a neutral density filter on to bring the light output down.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Even using the new Epson Dream panels, it may be hard to get the actual contrast above 800:1 with 1600 lumen output. In real life, 1600 real lumens with an 800:1 actual contrast ratio could make for a darned impressive picture.

Too bad they're not employing the changable Iris to be able to cut light output and get more CR out of the unit when desireable.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
If the specs are realistic and not inflated, then a 800:1 CR is very impressive for a LCD projector and will likely be in line with the true CR of the Sony HS20 and Sanyo Z2. The lack of MLA is disappointing as I suspect that screendoor will be an issue at viewing distances of 2x screen width or less.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott B
If the specs are realistic and not inflated, then a 800:1 CR is very impressive for a LCD projector and will likely be in line with the true CR of the Sony HS20 and Sanyo Z2.
We'll see, but because of the high contrast mode for the iris I'm expecting the HS20 to get close to 1000:1. The CR looked good at CEDIA.

I agree that bright projectors are more versatile than dimmer projectors, and projectors with at least 2 iris positions are even more versatile. It is too bad Epson has gone this direction. Now that I've had a variable iris on my Sharp 10k I don't want to give it up. I feel the same way about the lens-shift though, and the TW200 wins that one over the HS20.

--Darin

·
Registered
134 Posts
Am I hallucinating, or was there a thread a while back that said the D4 equiped pjs would have 12 bit? I couldn't find it, hence my question. If so, just wondering if the TW500 will have 12 bit. Speculation?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Aero
Eriko, what about HDMI =)

Also the European version will include scart

However 8bit pixelwork video processsor ?! 10 bits Okey, 12 bits, now we talking.
OK, HDMI is nice but i havent seen many devices in europe using it. Scart ok too. But DVI would be better so we can use our computer to feed the PJ. Vga can but it is analog, DVI is digital so better.

That 8 bit thing is also nothing new. At least 10 bit was what i espected from a big compagny like Epson.

1300 lumens is IMHO way to much for a small and dark room, thats were i and many other use it.

I would prefer 800 lumens en 1300CR instead 1300 lumens and 800CR.

To be honest Epson normally has more quality then Sanyo, but i think this time the Z2 has better specs (DVI, 800 lumens en 1300CR) is also cheaper.

Maybe the next generation Epson is an eyeopener but not this one. I dont or you know the old saying here "Old wine in new bags" :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
HDMI is backwards compatible with DVI, so lack of DVI is not an issue. I agree however that an iris feature should have been implemented. That said, I'm eager to see real world CR measurements of those new projectors.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
It's easy to cut lumens if you don't need them. It's a lot harder to increase lumens in high ambient light situations

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mule.variant
I agree. This is a little disappointing. I had really high hopes for this unit. I need a shorter throw and I'm not sure yet that the HS20 will work so I was really looking forward to this one. I'm keeping my finger crossed that maybe that CR is a little conservative...
why not look at the sanyo z2? short throw, same res, etc.

I'm in the boat that says big deal on the higher lumen rating. Give me a higher contrast ratio, thanks.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rlindo
why not look at the sanyo z2? short throw, same res, etc.

I'm in the boat that says big deal on the higher lumen rating. Give me a higher contrast ratio, thanks.
I agree totally. I'm looking that the Z2 as the main contender at the moment.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What about the Panasonic AE500? Having seen the Z1, HS10 and AE300 (PT-L300 for those on the other side of the Atlantic) I felt the winner PQ wise was the AE300, so I'm eager to see the 500.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The TW100 started with with 1:700 CR and then Epson has improved CR to 1:800.

I wonder if we will see the TW200 follow the same path...

1:800 --> 1:900 without loss in lumen rating.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.