AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received a new Epson TW100H 800: contrast LCD 16x9 WXGA projector to demo in my dedicated home theatre. The theatre is small only 12x12 and the projector can only be placed back about 11 inches from the screen. I currently own a NEC LT240 DLP that I have had for about 4 months now. I wanted to get a second pj with native 16x9 aspect and higher resolution WXGA. I originaly had a Panasonic LT300U which was nice in terms of colors,no visable pixels (that new lens technology on this machine is great) but the resolution just wasn't that good when compared to the DLP I already own. This pj is only SVGA. I returned it and finally got the new improved Epson on Thursday and demoed it with DVD and HDTV on Friday. The new Epson has great color and the contrast is OK but not on the level of the DLPs. Watching DVDs I could see some pixel structure in bright scenes but not bad. On friday however, I hooked up the DIRECTV HDTV and the results in this size room were terrible. It was like looking out a window but through a definate screen. The better the source HD the more crisp is the image and also the perceived pixels. I went back to my NEC LT240 which is DLP and XGA 4x3 and the picture was fabulous with no visable pixels from that distance. So I returned it and will wait for an affordable DLP 16x9 WXGA. Whatever techology Panasonic used on the LT300, if they ever offer that in a WXGA version LCD for under 4K, I'll be the first one in line to get it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The projector is back 11 feet not inches.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The projector is back 11 feet not inches.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
>>Whatever techology Panasonic used on the LT300, if they ever offer that in a WXGA version LCD for under 4K, I'll be the first one in line to get it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sushi,

My screen size is now 96x80 and with the LT240 4x3 I have an image 80x60 from 11 feet back from the screen.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks aaroen for posting the comparison. I have an NEC LT260 coming on back order, and while I was waiting for it I had an attack of buyer's remorse, mostly due to all the posts about the dreaded rainbow effect. I came VERY close to changing my order to a TW100, but finally decided to stick it out.

Your comments make me feel better about my choice since I will be sitting even closer (less than 10 feet) from a 40x72 screen. On the other hand, I was never bothered by the screen door effect on my current LCD projector, a Sony W400Q.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The LT260 is a good projector but since it has a low speed color wheel rainbows are a problem. For DVDs I'd use the PTL300U over the Nec 240 or 260. Just do yourself a favor and put on some tough movies for DLP like Blade II and see what you think. Even if you see rainbows they might not bother you. Just like people who see screen door but don't mind it.

Hugh

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
"Friday. The new Epson has great color and the contrast is OK but not on the level of the DLPs. Watching DVDs I could see some pixel structure in bright scenes but not bad. On friday however, I hooked up the DIRECTV HDTV and the results in this size room were terrible. It was like looking out a window but through a definate screen. "

Screen door is something inherint in the panel, and you should see it, or not see it.

The only explanation, otherwise, is that all the DVD material was mutlicoloured, variable, while the DTV stuff had lots of large, solid coloured or bright areas.

If you see it in one source, but not another, it is is the source, not the projector.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Source or not the bottomline here is that I am not bothered by the DLP rainbow artifacts. I see them but only seldom and then so briefly that when I first saw it I thought what was that. No guest (including my very picky daughter) has ever mentioned them. The DLP machine I currently have (NEC LT240) does not have a detectable pixel structure from 11-12 feet back and the new Epson TW100 does and it is even more noticable and objectionable with HDTV sources. I also had a Panasonic LT300U for about 2 days and it also did not have any noticable pixel structure from that distance. However, the detail of the panasonic picture did not match my DLP and that is the only reason I didn't keep it. I think if I'm going to ever get a 16x9 aspect ration WXGA pj, I will have to wait for an affordable DLP machine or a new panasonic LT400U. Every review of the new Epson TW100 mentions that the LCDs suffer from screendoor affect and the new Epson is no exception. It is a great quiet, good color and reasonable contrast with beautiful detail but unfortunately that detail includes pixels and for me the lack of pixels is more important than a few brief rainbow flashes at the edge of images from a DLP machine. Everyone has their opinions and references on this. Bottom line is if pixel structure bothers you and you have a small theatre 12 or less, the Epson TW100 may not be for you.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
For some reason screen door isn't an issue on the HS10 even 1 screenlength away. It was there in spades on the 11HT, and neither has MLA to my knowledge.

I just got HD from the local cable company this week and was also sadly disappointed the first time I fired it up. But it must have been the source, because after seeing the I Love Lucy special I was completely dumbfounded. The most incredible visual experience in memory.

Since then I've just been astounded not only by true HD stuff, but even the cropped HBO movies sent in HD. The HS10 is one heck of an HD machine. You WILL need to get a gray screen and CC40r filter (and at least copy the calibration settings others are using here) to be satisfied with blacks and shadow detail though. I would imagine with this done it would be pretty close to the Epson in contrast.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.